Using Avios points...

Old Apr 15, 19, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Using Avios points...

I'm looking to book an award on Iberia. Does it matter where my Avios points are when I go to book? Ether on BA or Iberia. For instance if I have enough points on BA can I go to the Iberia WEB site and book? (first time doing this)
Thanks
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by pkerr View Post
I'm looking to book an award on Iberia. Does it matter where my Avios points are when I go to book? Ether on BA or Iberia. For instance if I have enough points on BA can I go to the Iberia WEB site and book? (first time doing this)
Thanks
no.

If your points are in BA you can only book through BA. however, you can book Iberia flights via BA - and vice versa.

There are are a few specific instances where it may make sense to transfer the Avios to one or the other. Let me know what the route is and I will advise if itís one of them.
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You have to Combine Your Avios first. If you haven't done it before, I'm not sure if there is a simple summary anywhere on Flyertalk. But this blog post should summarise it for you...

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2016/12/ho...ne-your-avios/

There are also advantages and disadvantages of booking via BA or via IB. Make sure you know WHY you want to book via IB+. (or take this thread in that direction...)
Old Apr 15, 19, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawes7701 View Post

no.

If your points are in BA you can only book through BA. however, you can book Iberia flights via BA - and vice versa.

There are are a few specific instances where it may make sense to transfer the Avios to one or the other. Let me know what the route is and I will advise if itís one of them.
My flight would be PMI (Mallorca) to LIS (Lisbon) on Iberia (20,000 pts). I have about 1,000 pts already in BA Avios. I would either transfer the needed points straight to the Iberia program (20,000) or 19,000 points to BA and book from there?
Thanks
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:41 pm

My flight would be PMI (Mallorca) to LIS (Lisbon) on Iberia (20,000 pts). I have about 1,000 pts already in BA Avios. I would either transfer the needed points straight to the Iberia program (20,000) or 19,000 points to BA and book from there?
Thanks
It will cost the same miles but it is slightly cheaper in taxes booking via BA. £18.70 v £27.30

Also, if you ever need to make changes or cancel it, BA will be a far easier phone call than Iberia.

Craigthemif has has a lot of knowledge and experience using Iberia but im sure he would agree that BA customer services are superior.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 15, 19, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

It will cost the same miles but it is slightly cheaper in taxes booking via BA. £18.70 v £27.30

Also, if you ever need to make changes or cancel it, BA will be a far easier phone call than Iberia.

Craigthemif has has a lot of knowledge and experience using Iberia but im sure he would agree that BA customer services are superior.
Thanks... when does seat selection become available? Can it be done from the BA WEB site or do i need to go over to Iberia? Thanks again.
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:03 pm

Thanks... when does seat selection become available? Can it be done from the BA WEB site or do i need to go over to Iberia? Thanks again.
pretty sure the PNR you get when booking through BA can then be punched in to Iberia and select your seats.
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

pretty sure the PNR you get when booking through BA can then be punched in to Iberia and select your seats.
THANKS!
Old Apr 16, 19, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Agreed. I tend to say that if you clearly know WHY you are booking via IB+, then fine... (i.e. not as a default but because you know for sure that taxes are lower, etc.)

But otherwise book through BA because everything at BA is kinder to novices...

Search this Thread