Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Express or Iberia ($6 more, same plane)? Can't find fare class.

Old Apr 7, 19, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at booking a flight from MAD to AMS and finding flights on the same plane (Iberia Express) with a $6 higher price for the Iberia-coded flight. I'm guessing that the Iberia flight is a different fare class and would get me more miles, but I can't find the fare classes anywhere. I've looked on ITA Matrix, and the only flights listed there are Iberia (no Iberia Express) and higher priced (about $20 more), so I can't be sure if it's the same fare class.

Is there any solution to this?

Edit: Searching through Travelocity I was able to find a "rules" link for the ticket, and in there it lists "Fare Basis Code:
ADNNEOB2". Can I use this to determine the fare class somehow?

Last edited by kentchristopher; Apr 7, 19 at 9:45 am Reason: Added info
Old Apr 7, 19, 11:35 am

According to the fare code the booking class will be A.
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pinni View Post
According to the fare code the booking class will be A.
Thank you! I see now that the first letter of the fare basis code is the booking class. From this, and putting a 24-hour "hold" on the cheaper Iberia Express ticket, then using the record locator from the "on hold" email and calling Iberia to get the booking class, I determined that both are booking class A. So no mile-earning advantage of paying more money for the Iberia-branded ticket over the Iberia Express one, at least in this case. Hopefully this info helps someone else.
Old Apr 7, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Are you crediting to IB+ or somewhere else? I'm not sure I2 coded flights earn miles across Oneworld.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
They earn miles in BA, but I've never been able to get my status benefits (e.g. seat selection) in advance when booking via I2. These do come across at OLCI though.
Old Apr 7, 19, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Are you crediting to IB+ or somewhere else? I'm not sure I2 coded flights earn miles across Oneworld.
I'm trying to decide between crediting to IB+ or AA. According to wheretocredit.com, a class A booking on Iberia (that's not operated by AA or BA - there's another A listing for those flights) would get 50% miles with AA, so about 450 miles. With IB+, it's 25% + 125 Avios, so about 350. A paltry amount either way, but I wanted to learn how to figure this out for future reference. American's webpage for earning with Iberia does say Iberia Express flights are eligible, but only lists class A as First Class cabin (earning 100% miles) with an *, and the * below notes: "Iberia does not operate First class. The booking classes F and A will only accrue for travel in First on codeshare flights where Iberia is the marketing carrier and American Airlines or British Airways is the operating carrier." That matches up with the other A class listing on wheretocredit.com, although they list 150% for those flights. Since AA's page doesn't list anything else for class A (applicable to Iberia operated flights), and this being an economy ticket, I'm guessing wheretocredit.com might be wrong and there's a chance I wouldn't get credited on AA, so I'll credit to IB+.

Search this Thread