Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Changing a "Basic" ticket to an "Optimal" one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze; LoungeKey

Hi,

I've got an upcoming flight from Madrid to London, marketed by IB (with IB flight numbers) and operated by Iberia Express (which I understand will earn me BA tier points).

Incidentally, I'll be 10 TPs off of status (with BA), and as such was wondering whether it would be possible to change a Basic ticket, which I understand will earn 5 TPs, to an Optimal one, which I understand will earn me 10, and thus let me get the necessary 10 tier points for status.

I should also note that there has been a 10-minute schedule change. If it is not possible to normally do this, would it be possible to cancel the ticket on the grounds of the schedule change and then re-book the Optimal fare?

Alternatively, could I use the schedule change to, for example, re-route to Heathrow? And would doing so re-ticket me with whatever fare basis is currently being sold by IB (which, according to ITA matrix is a fare basis that earns 10TP with BA)?

Many thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A 10-minute schedule change doesn't give you carte blanche to do what you want. IAG is especially conscious of not letting people book LGW flights and then switch to LHR. But even if you got really lucky, your current fare is what would apply to the new flight.

A 10-minute change also doesn't justify a full refund.

Besides that, I'm not at all sure that IB Optima fares automatically book into a fare bucket that earns 10 TPs.

And, for what it's worth, special price upgrades (POUGs in the BA vernacular) don't get you any extra TPs on Iberia.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The only way a change (without fee) happens is if you were connecting and the change drops you below MCT.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The only way a change (without fee) happens is if you were connecting and the change drops you below MCT.
That's not true - personal experience with IB - but the change has to be substantial. Hours, not minutes...
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:09 pm

The number of TPs depends on the actual fare (which is not displayed on your booking). Q, O, A earn 5 TPs, while K, M, L, F, V, S, Z, N, G earn 10 TPs. But Q,O,A does not mean Basic, there can be Basic tickets that earn 10 TPs and Optima tickets that earn 5 TPs.

You can know this before booking by either trying to replicate the booking on ITA Matrix or similar (where the fare is displayed), or, if you have an IB+ account, by checking to see how many Avios and Puntos Elite you would get when doing a dummy booking (and then going back and using your BAEC number).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.