no fee seat selection?

Old Mar 18, 19, 5:59 am
Original Poster

no fee seat selection?

I booked Mad-Ath for next Feb a few weeks ago using points and cash in econony. Seat selection was not available because flight was so far in advance. I booked Bos-Mad on separate ticket with avios on J and noticed this morning that seat selection just opened, so I was able to choose seats.
I checked the Mad-Ath flight again and message online was to call in for seat selection. I did so and requested 12E,F, the extra leg room emergency row seats. I was ready to give credit card number for the fee and was told I was all set.
I checked online and seats were assigned.
Is no fee standard, or was it because I used points and cash?:
Old Mar 18, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Seat selection is included on reward tickets.
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
As a follow on this... I'm looking to book PMI-LIS in the "Blue Class" category. Based on what you said there is no charge for seat selection? And when does seat selection become available? As soon as I book my ticket or some later date closer to my flight? (can this be done online or do I have to call?)
Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 19, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It depends on when the aircraft allocation occurs. If you are booking for March 2020 you'll have to wait awhile. If you are booking for summer 2019, then IB already know which aircraft will be operating the routes and you should be able to choose a seat right after booking.
Old Apr 15, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
It depends on when the aircraft allocation occurs. If you are booking for March 2020 you'll have to wait awhile. If you are booking for summer 2019, then IB already know which aircraft will be operating the routes and you should be able to choose a seat right after booking.
It is for this September. Is there a charge for this or is it included with the "Blue Class" category?
Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:13 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
It's included.
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Ibis Plat,
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Are you sure? On the A340 from LHR to MAD in July this year .I have a BA PNR and IB PNR and frustratingly the IB website let's you get to choose seat allocation in Business then concluded "seat selection is not available on this flight"!!! For why? What nonsense from IB they are so frustrating!
Old Apr 16, 19, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by nivsy View Post
Are you sure? On the A340 from LHR to MAD in July this year .I have a BA PNR and IB PNR and frustratingly the IB website let's you get to choose seat allocation in Business then concluded "seat selection is not available on this flight"!!! For why? What nonsense from IB they are so frustrating!
Codeshare presumably... Rarely works as it should...

I'm also under the impression that the long-haul aircraft they send up to LHR for cargo reasons are switched around rather more often than short-haul planes, which means that they might not know which seat map to offer.
Old Apr 26, 19, 6:03 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
If you book with points on Blue Fares and Economy seats are free.
You just have to call to get them. I bought tickets yesterday and called same day for seats and got them.
Old Jul 3, 19, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by anngi View Post
If you book with points on Blue Fares and Economy seats are free.
You just have to call to get them. I bought tickets yesterday and called same day for seats and got them.
Just booked two "points &cash" tickets last night and was able to select seats online.

Search this Thread