Iberia Avios Booking

Old Mar 16, 19, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold
Iberia Avios Booking

I have a question for the Iberia Plus experts here on this forum, I currently have a reward booking that I would like to change.

The complete routing was XXX-LHR-YYY-MAD-XXX with the 2 first legs on BA and the return on IB. I would like to change the return to YYY-LHR-XXX so basically change the return to a different date with BA since they have award availability, Iím willing to pay the extra avios and taxes but customer service insist they cannot change to a BA service. Is this correct? (I tried 2 agents)

Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
That rerouting cannot be done as a change, you have to cancel and make a new booking (the problem is that it takes a variable time to get the Avios back in your account).
Old Mar 16, 19, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Can you cancel and get a partial refund even if the first 2 segments have been flown?
Old Mar 17, 19, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
And if you booked with promo Avios, then you probably won't get them back.
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Avios would be no issue since I have plenty of them with BA, also they were not promotional Avios. I called again and I cannot cancel the return portion anymore since I flew the outbound, I guess I just lost the return. Will book with BA in the future, the little bit of money you save is not worth all the restrictions Iberia has for rebooking.
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by WorldClub View Post
Can you cancel and get a partial refund even if the first 2 segments have been flown?
Ah, that piece of information was missing. Unfortunately, their rules say that refunds are possible before the departure of the first segment only.

For these reasons it is usually better to book two one-ways.
Old Mar 19, 19, 7:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by WorldClub View Post
Avios would be no issue since I have plenty of them with BA, also they were not promotional Avios. I called again and I cannot cancel the return portion anymore since I flew the outbound, I guess I just lost the return. Will book with BA in the future, the little bit of money you save is not worth all the restrictions Iberia has for rebooking.
FWIW, BA would not refund Avios within 24 hours of the first flight either.
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
FWIW, BA would not refund Avios within 24 hours of the first flight either.
I am aware but they have much more award availability due to the much higher frequency so I could have changed my flight + change fee of course.

Search this Thread