Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Why do Iberia insist on lights out on day flights?

Old Mar 10, 19, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold

We recently flew IB6831 MAD-SCL with Iberia which departs at 12:20 and lands at 21:50 and after the meal service the lights were out and blinds closed for the whole flight. Same thing happened on MAD-LIM last year.

Is this standard operating procedure or is it just the crew want an easier life? Why would anyone want to sleep if you are arriving into SCL at 10pm when you'll go straight to bed? I thought maybe it was for connecting passengers but as Iberia fly to very limited destinations going East surely most connecting passengers will be coming from Europe and hence won't have been awake for long? The majority of cabin were awake watching films or reading with lights throughout the flight.

We asked the crew and they said those travelling for business want to sleep. Wouldn't someone travelling for business want to get some work done on the plane and I would imagine having the lights on would be preferred?
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It is very annoying to have the lights on (and window shades open) when trying to watch the in-flight entertainment. Too much glare on the screens...

And, yes, some people like to take a nap on such a long flight.

You have individual seat lighting as needed. That's what it's there for...
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I agree itís annoying. Just open your shade.

Search this Thread