Delays at MAD

Old Mar 3, 19, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Delays at MAD

Currently sitting on IB404 MAD-XRY, due to depart at 1545. 40 minute delay to boarding, then informed due to runway maintenance, no slot available. Been sitting on board at the gate now for about an hour. Was announced that estimated pushback time is 1840, but cannot deplane due to tight crew duty times. What are the chances of this bird getting away?
Old Mar 3, 19, 11:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
MAD has started rumway regeneration works. One runway is closed for the whole month (until 31st march). Today it´s been chaotic,
Old Mar 3, 19, 1:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Yes, runway 34R/14L is closed this entire month. Been chaotic the last few days, especially when the wind is not playing ball (i.e. during busy take-off times, the airport is in configuración sur, leading to rotational delays). Seen massive queues at Iberia airside customer services desks. Going to be a tricky month...
Old Mar 3, 19, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Eventually got away and landed at XRY about 2.5 hours late.
Old Mar 3, 19, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I wonder whether planned runway maintenance counts as "exceptional circumstances" for EU 261.

In theory all airlines should have adjusted schedules to account for lower runway capacity...
Old Mar 3, 19, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
I wonder whether planned runway maintenance counts as "exceptional circumstances" for EU 261.

In theory all airlines should have adjusted schedules to account for lower runway capacity...
I was thinking about this while sitting on board the plane at the gate.

I think your "theory" is sound, but in practice it would be very hard to make a claim stick in these circumstances.

It was moot for me in the end anyway, as my delay was 2hrs 27min, exacerbated by missing my train and having to take a 70eur taxi - and yes, I know that ain't gonna fly either!
Old Mar 4, 19, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Going through Madrid four times later this week on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday flying AGP-MAD-SDR-MAD-BCN-MAD-AGP on my 9000 avios promo flights.

It was AGP-MAD-SDR-MAD-PMI-MAD-BCN-MAD-AGP but already sacked off the Palma shuffle. Its all on different single bookings to take advantage of the promo and if it all goes Pete Tong I guess its my own fault. Hey Ho....
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I don't think you can claim EC261 combo. Even though apparently operational capacity was planned in advance with airlines and Enaire, I highly doubt this translated into reduced capacity.

The plan was/is to shift between runways depending on traffic (high arrivals, two runways for arrivals and one for departures, and vice versa). The problem is they didn't think about wind...
Old Mar 11, 19, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Been in and out of Madrid every day for the last three days and whilst there have been some delays and/or stacking its all been tiny bits and pieces - nothing to worry over. Each flight has pretty much been on time or made up the delay on route.
Old Mar 11, 19, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
Been in and out of Madrid every day for the last three days and whilst there have been some delays and/or stacking its all been tiny bits and pieces - nothing to worry over. Each flight has pretty much been on time or made up the delay on route.
The couple of hours stuck at the gate on the way to XRY could have been worse. Quite a minor thing really, in the grand scheme of things.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
I don't think you can claim EC261 combo. Even though apparently operational capacity was planned in advance with airlines and Enaire, I highly doubt this translated into reduced capacity.

The plan was/is to shift between runways depending on traffic (high arrivals, two runways for arrivals and one for departures, and vice versa). The problem is they didn't think about wind...
Why should it not be possible to claim? I wouldn't say that the renovations are exceptional circumstances.
Old Mar 14, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by Panix View Post
Why should it not be possible to claim? I wouldn't say that the renovations are exceptional circumstances.
The courts in Europe have been very clear on "exceptional" and it's extremely limited, basically it would be a sudden outbreak of war, which suddenly closes airspace, or an un-forecast natural disaster. Even the Icelandic volcano, airlines were not exempt.
Old Mar 14, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
Or weather, or ATC. I really don't think airlines were exempt during the volcano!
Old Mar 24, 19, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Any recent data points on this? I have a 50-minute connection on my return XRY-MAD-ZRH.
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Everything is working fine. Should be plenty as you'll be entirely within T4 so it's just walk from the end with the CRJ gates to wherever GVA is boarding. Might even have time for a snack in the lounge.
The_Bouncer likes this.

Search this Thread