Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Separate tickets: Will Iberia try to help us if we miss our connection?

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

We're traveling business class to Madrid using the 90k bonus Avios from last year's promo. Because we used the promotional Avios, when we decided to make Valencia our destination, we couldn't re-book with a connection to VLC. Instead we used BA Avios to book business class MAD-VLC, leaving exactly 2 hours after our scheduled arrival. We'll have carry-on bags, so it looks like 2 hours is plenty of time to make the connection assuming an on-time arrival in Madrid. But I'm wondering what happens if we are significantly delayed - will Iberia have any mercy and try to accommodate us on the next flight? Or will we be on our own to make our way to Valencia?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
As long as the flight is on time, you shouldn´t have any problems catching the *connection*. Now, if yo don´t, Iberia will not be responsible and it is unlikely they will accommodate you on another Valencia flight. However, if you ask nicely they *may* help.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tobsw
As long as the flight is on time, you shouldn´t have any problems catching the *connection*. Now, if yo don´t, Iberia will not be responsible and it is unlikely they will accommodate you on another Valencia flight. However, if you ask nicely they *may* help.
I know that they aren't required to...but I was hoping the "ask nicely" approach would work, since both tickets are on Iberia and not separate one world carriers.
(Of course what I'm really hoping is that everything on our trip goes perfectly smoothly! Just trying to problem-solve in advance for things that *could* go wrong)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Fairly rare practice for European carriers to protect outside their rules. It does not hurt to politely ask, but do not expect a positive answer.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:17 am

I'm not convinced MAD - VLC in business was a very good use of avios (it's a 45 minute flight, and the J seats are no different) that aside, no, they're not obliged to help, this said, IB tends to be on the punctual side, so providing everything goes to plan 2 hours is more than enough time.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Being aware that you are NOT entitled to anything at all certainty helps when asking an IB agent or two whether something can be done...

But with HBO and a pre-printed boarding pass, it should be easy enough to make the VLC flight.
ehallison likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jack274
I'm not convinced MAD - VLC in business was a very good use of avios (it's a 45 minute flight, and the J seats are no different) ...
I know. (you should have seen my jaw drop the first time I flew BA's Club class which has the same setup). But there were no economy seats available on points. It was a small number of Avios so we decided to spend them rather than cash for an economy seat.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ehallison
I know. (you should have seen my jaw drop the first time I flew BA's Club class which has the same setup). But there were no economy seats available on points. It was a small number of Avios so we decided to spend them rather than cash for an economy seat.
No full fare economy reward via IB+? That flexible ticket would keep you safe in the event of a misconnect...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
No full fare economy reward via IB+? That flexible ticket would keep you safe in the event of a misconnect...
We used BA Avios. I don't see an option for flexible ticket.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
We used BA Avios. I don't see an option for flexible ticket.
There isn't one via BA Avios. You'd have to combine your Avios to IB+ and see if it shows up there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.