Wiki Posts
Search

IB Plus or BA Executive Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
IB Plus or BA Executive Club?

Looks like this year I'm going to have to do a fair amount of BOG-LON flying, so instead od requalifying on LATAM I'm thinking of switching to either IB or BA. I'm guessing IB would make more sense as all ex-BOG flights go via MAD, but it looks like slightly less flights are required to get emerald on BA than on IB.

Are there any other differences I should be aware of?

Also, my first flight this year will be in January. Can I fly w/o putting in a number and add it retrospectively after March to hit the qualifying period?

Any thoughts welcome!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IanWorthington
Looks like this year I'm going to have to do a fair amount of BOG-LON flying, so instead od requalifying on LATAM I'm thinking of switching to either IB or BA. I'm guessing IB would make more sense as all ex-BOG flights go via MAD, but it looks like slightly less flights are required to get emerald on BA than on IB.

Are there any other differences I should be aware of?

Also, my first flight this year will be in January. Can I fly w/o putting in a number and add it retrospectively after March to hit the qualifying period?

Any thoughts welcome!
BA and IB have different systems for determining elite status. BA is generally considered to be easier, but you can check out the two systems for yourself.

And no... you can't delay earning your status points - the flight date is what matters.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Though if you collect via BA, your 12-13 month membership year period will begin when the first flight is credited, I believe.

Remember you cannot retroclaim IB (or any partner) flights in BAEC taken before you became a member.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BA6501
Though if you collect via BA, your 12-13 month membership year period will begin when the first flight is credited, I believe.
Perhaps for a brand new account. But otherwise everybody's membership period is now set in stone.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Correct - as the OP is talking about switching to BA, and it is not listed under their program list, I expected that they would open a brand new account.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Thanks guys. Had a non-club account with BA. Converted and got an end date of 8 feb 2020. Perfect.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

IB awards Emerald for 2 years, not one as BAEC. Doesn't matter if you requalify every year anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.