Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling or changing an award flight on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling or changing an award flight on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Question Cancelling or changing an award flight on BA

Hi all,

I am wondering if one of you can provide me with some updated information. I was just on the phone with an Iberia agent throught the UK phone number. I was talking about booking an award using Avios, that would be a routing from the US to LHR, and connecting LHR to another european city. Both legs would be on British Airways. If it matters the longhaul flight would be either in First or Business class.

The agent told me if I book the flight on British Airways, there are no changes or cancellations allowed and no change fees. The only time changes or cancellation would be allowed on an Avios booking (except for schedule changes) would be if all of the flights are on Iberia.

I know that this was the policy related to bookings Iberia Avios on American, but I thought BA flights were treated like IB flights for purposes of cancellation or changes.

Did IB change their policy or was the phone agent incorrect? Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Phone agent was incorrect.

Any reason why you don't move your Avios to BAEC and just book the reward there?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Phone agent was incorrect.

Any reason why you don't move your Avios to BAEC and just book the reward there?
Yes a good reason. Because the tickets are for 2 people and involve connecting flights through LHR, only one flight is in premium cabin. The cost savings is around 1000£ and BAEC won’t allow me to book it that way.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by o2bmmw

Yes a good reason. Because the tickets are for 2 people and involve connecting flights through LHR, only one flight is in premium cabin. The cost savings is around 1000£ and BAEC won’t allow me to book it that way.
AFAIK Iberia Plus closed that loophole as well...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
AFAIK Iberia Plus closed that loophole as well...
Actually no because I would have been able to book it by phone. It also shows on the web site. Sometimes on the web it is bookable and sometimes not.

When did they supposedly end this? If that’s correct then there is no reason to book on Iberia because their customer service is even worse than BAEC.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by o2bmmw

Actually no because I would have been able to book it by phone. It also shows on the web site. Sometimes on the web it is bookable and sometimes not.

When did they supposedly end this? If that’s correct then there is no reason to book on Iberia because their customer service is even worse than BAEC.
They didn't end the practice of allowing mixed cabins. That's still useful and you can save Avios that way.

What they ended is the significant discount you could get on the YQ and fees. Bloggers decided to inform the world about this trick, and IB took notice. Now they charge whatever fees you would pay in the cabin of your long haul. That's how it works online, at least over the past week anyway.

If you're saying it still works by phone, that would be great. I haven't tried.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.