US-Madrid-non schengen connection times

Old Jan 10, 19, 11:39 am
Original Poster

US-Madrid-non schengen connection times

I've read through this forum and see multiple posts about T4-T4S connections, usually involving Schengen-Madrid-US connections. I'll be traveling the opposite direction and could use some guidance. Last month I used AA miles to book business class Iberia flights, Chicago to Dubrovnik via Madrid. The original connection was 1:25. I just checked Iberia's website this morning and discovered a schedule change on the ORD-MAD flight (same departure time but arriving 30 minutes later). Both Iberia and Madrid's airport site indicate that 55 minutes is the minimum connection time. Can anyone share their experiences on a US to Madrid to non-schengen connection. I understand that I will arrive at T4S and need to take the people mover to T4. As I will only be a Schengen transit passenger, is it safe to assume that there will be no passport control? Will I need to go through security? I rarely transit to non-Schengen countries via Europe so don't have much experience. Is the 55 minute connection doable? We will be sitting in row 3 so among the first to exit the plane. Should the ORD flight arrive late, do Iberia offer any type of priority/expedited transit services for connecting passengers? I see that Iberia have a DBV flight a few hours later so presumably we could be rebooked if needed. But, needless to say, we would prefer to be swimming in the Adriatic as soon as possible.
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
I understand that I will arrive at T4S and need to take the people mover to T4.
Why do you think so? Croatia is not in the Schengen area, so the IB flight from MAD to DBV should be departing from T4S.

When you arrive in T4S just follow the connection signs to the S gates, you only need to go through the transit security in T4S (which is normally pretty empty since there are not too many people connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen in MAD), no passport control, no people mover. Assuming that your ORD-MAD flight is on time you will have enough time to do the connection.
Old Jan 10, 19, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pinni View Post
Why do you think so? Croatia is not in the Schengen area, so the IB flight from MAD to DBV should be departing from T4S.

When you arrive in T4S just follow the connection signs to the S gates, you only need to go through the transit security in T4S (which is normally pretty empty since there are not too many people connecting from non-Schengen to non-Schengen in MAD), no passport control, no people mover. Assuming that your ORD-MAD flight is on time you will have enough time to do the connection.
I'm assuming the DBV flight will depart T4 as my original booking with American indicated "terminal change" and the current DBV flights (granted, off season) have left from the H gates over the past few weeks according to flightaware.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:44 am

Programs: IB+ Oro
Sometimes they open a gate in T4S for a flight departing from H gates, a bus will then take you directly to the H gate at T4. This avoids passport control and security checks at MAD. It saves a lot of time and makes these short connections possible.
Old Jan 11, 19, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chorbs View Post
Sometimes they open a gate in T4S for a flight departing from H gates, a bus will then take you directly to the H gate at T4. This avoids passport control and security checks at MAD. It saves a lot of time and makes these short connections possible.
Great - thanks good to know! The departure gate for the DBV flight perplexed me as Croatia is non-Schengen and it seems that most Schengen flights leave from T4 and non-Schengen from T4-S. Some type of bus connection would definitely make me feel better about the connection. Fortunately we're seated in row 3 of the ORD-MAD flight so among the first to disembark, too.
Old Jan 11, 19, 9:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
They will likely open up a 'gate' in T4S and bus you straight to the aircraft. Therefore, your journey would be disembark > security > downstairs to departures level > lounge if appropriate > S gate > bus to aircraft.

Going via the people mover would mean you would need to enter and exit the Schengen area (in T4S and T4, respectively) with the train and security between the two steps.

There are a number of low-H gates that serve non-Schengen European flights (i.e. UK/EI/Croatia).

Check the connection screens as you disembark and approach the flight connections/passport control area in T4S. If there's an S gate, turn left to security, if there's an H gate, either go straight ahead to immigration or turn right to the Iberia desk and ask if it's not too busy.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
They will likely open up a 'gate' in T4S and bus you straight to the aircraft. Therefore, your journey would be disembark > security > downstairs to departures level > lounge if appropriate > S gate > bus to aircraft.

Going via the people mover would mean you would need to enter and exit the Schengen area (in T4S and T4, respectively) with the train and security between the two steps.

There are a number of low-H gates that serve non-Schengen European flights (i.e. UK/EI/Croatia).

Check the connection screens as you disembark and approach the flight connections/passport control area in T4S. If there's an S gate, turn left to security, if there's an H gate, either go straight ahead to immigration or turn right to the Iberia desk and ask if it's not too busy.
Great - thanks, that is very helpful. The idea of a "gate" in T4S makes more sense versus entering and then exiting Schengen. As I mentioned in an earlier post, we're flying in business class on both flights so fortunately will be among the first few people to exit the plane. I'd be much more concerned if we were near the back of the arriving A350!
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I have a similar situation in April. Flying CLT-MAD on AA metal then connecting to IB3154 with a 3.5 hr connect time. I'm definitely hoping for the S gate then bus to the plane. I would love to have a little time to catch a shower before the second flight!
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:08 am

With 3.5 hours between flights, assuming your bags are through checked, you have more than enough time to take a shower - even in T4 proper.
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious - how was the flight to DBV? Was there an S gate bus?
Old Apr 18, 19, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidgrahammd View Post
I have a similar situation in April. Flying CLT-MAD on AA metal then connecting to IB3154 with a 3.5 hr connect time. I'm definitely hoping for the S gate then bus to the plane. I would love to have a little time to catch a shower before the second flight!
How was the flight to DBV? Were you able to board at an S gate and then bus over?
Old Apr 30, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAguy1979 View Post
How was the flight to DBV? Were you able to board at an S gate and then bus over?
It actually went pretty smoothly. As we headed off the plane, a "S" gate was listed for the DBV flight. Looking at monitors later, however, a gate in 4 was listed. Nevertheless, a "S" gate was used to bus us over to the flight. You might have to do some inquiry to make sure which "S" gate will bus you over. Folks in the Iberia lounge were able to find the exact "S" gate for us.
As a note, you will likely be among the last to board so be ready to search for some overhead space if the fight is full.
Old Jun 10, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Hi all, have an ~3 hour connection DFW - MAD (AA) - TLV coming up. What should I expect in the transit process? Is the 'open gate' and being bused to the other terminal still common or standard, or should we expect to clear customs and security again?
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:11 pm

You'll be connecting fully within T4S. Off the aircraft, walk along to the central area of the building, clear security, back downstairs and voilą. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, including the normally long walk from the AA gates.
Old Jun 10, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
You'll be connecting fully within T4S. Off the aircraft, walk along to the central area of the building, clear security, back downstairs and voilą. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes, including the normally long walk from the AA gates.

Fantastic! Thanks so much for this info.
BA6501 likes this.

Search this Thread