Change of Avios reward ticket.

Old Jan 4, 19, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Change of Avios reward ticket.

Good Evening all. A reasonably quick question. I have an Avios reward booked with Iberia...two business class seats to the States and back from Madrid.
My wife wants to know, 'can we change the ticket and return back to Madrid from a different city'?
ie Atlanta instead of New York.
Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Are you currently flying on only Iberia / BA flights?
Old Jan 5, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
IB doesn't fly to Atlanta. You would need to switch to BA and pay the surcharges. Or there would be a substantial repricing if (and that's a big if) an IB agent was willing / able to add an AA leg to your existing reward.
Old Jan 5, 19, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Sorry, meant Miami. No BA involvement at all. Start and finish in Madrid. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike turnbull View Post
Sorry, meant Miami. No BA involvement at all. Start and finish in Madrid. Thanks.
It will cost you more Avios and you would need to find award space.

But if your current reward is IB only, then you can cancel for a refund paying 25 euros per person.
Old Jan 6, 19, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
And don't do it if the Avios used for this trip were earned through the 9000 Avios promotion.
craigthemif and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Jan 6, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
Originally Posted by clubman View Post
And don't do it if the Avios used for this trip were earned through the 9000 Avios promotion.
Why is that? I wanted to do the same thing. Change the date on a MAD-GUA flight booked using miles from the 9k promotion that I have to a week earlier. Is it because it redeposits and then pulls again? Hoping not if it is same routing just date change (I know the original poster wants to change destination so that's slightly different).
Old Jan 6, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Why is that? I wanted to do the same thing. Change the date on a MAD-GUA flight booked using miles from the 9k promotion that I have to a week earlier. Is it because it redeposits and then pulls again? Hoping not if it is same routing just date change (I know the original poster wants to change destination so that's slightly different).
Date change is fine. Same PNR.

Route change is cancellation and rebooking.
Old Jan 7, 19, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks one and all. On reflection, my easiest option is to just grab a cheap flight back up to JFK to return to MAD.....saves any potential Iberia problem!

Last edited by mike turnbull; Jan 7, 19 at 3:17 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Date change is fine. Same PNR.

Route change is cancellation and rebooking.
I assume change of class requires cancellation and rebooking too and, therefore, inadvisable on a 9k reward booking?

Is the upgrade auction available on reward bookings or only cash bookings? Ive got a Premium Economy reward ticket booked with the 9k Avios which I’d like to upgrade to J, if the opportunity opens up.
Old Jan 13, 19, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by travellingjake View Post

I assume change of class requires cancellation and rebooking too and, therefore, inadvisable on a 9k reward booking?

Is the upgrade auction available on reward bookings or only cash bookings? Ive got a Premium Economy reward ticket booked with the 9k Avios which I’d like to upgrade to J, if the opportunity opens up.
AFAIK you have to cancel and rebook to upgrade an award. But ultimately you're quite unlikely to find J space open up if it isn't there now. There are too many people who booked with promo Avios and won't cancel no matter what...
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
AFAIK you have to cancel and rebook to upgrade an award. But ultimately you're quite unlikely to find J space open up if it isn't there now. There are too many people who booked with promo Avios and won't cancel no matter what...
Thats what I thought which is why i was wondering if there’s still the possibility of upgrading with cash through auction or during check-in?
Old Jan 23, 19, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by travellingjake View Post
Thats what I thought which is why i was wondering if there’s still the possibility of upgrading with cash through auction or during check-in?
I hope you'll let us know if they offer it to you. I've only seen it on cash tickets so far but haven't flown many awards.
travellingjake likes this.

Search this Thread