Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

How to deal with schedule changes on award flights

How to deal with schedule changes on award flights

Old Jan 1, 19, 5:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 58
How to deal with schedule changes on award flights

I took advantage of this summer's promo to get enough Avios for a very specific redemption, namely CLT - TUS on AA in Y, in late January.

I booked three tickets, where both flights were non-stop CLT-TUS and TUS-CLT.

AA then changed its schedule. It no longer operates nonstops from CLT-TUS, and the only non-stop from TUS-CLT is a red eye, which isn't going to work for me. AA then rebooked us on an itinerary that looks like this: CLT-PHX-TUS, TUS-DFW-CLT.

When I visit My Bookings on the Iberia site, it asks me to accept these itinerary changes. I have not done this.

As it turns out, one member of my party cannot travel with us. I would like to use the Avios that I would have used for her ticket so that the remaining two of us who are traveling can fly in F in one direction or the other. There is award availability, and assuming that all of the Avios are redeposited, it would come out almost exactly the same.

So, what happens if I do not accept the itinerary changes? Are my Avios redeposited instantly and trip canceled? If not, how long does it take for Avios to be redeposited? Will they try to charge me a fee for redepositing Avios, even when the reason for cancelation is a schedule change?
compson is offline  
Old Jan 1, 19, 6:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
I booked JFK-MAD-DBV flights on Iberia using miles from the 90K promotion. The flights had a significant schedule change. I was able to cancel the flights this week by calling and have the promotional miles restored to my account successfully. Looking now for opportunities to book other flights.
flockavelliFT likes this.
Wboy411a is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:06 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Wboy411a View Post
I booked JFK-MAD-DBV flights on Iberia using miles from the 90K promotion. The flights had a significant schedule change. I was able to cancel the flights this week by calling and have the promotional miles restored to my account successfully. Looking now for opportunities to book other flights.
How quickly were the miles restored?
compson is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:28 am
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,831
Neither IB nor AA is obligated to do this and it is IB as the ticketing carrier which will handle the transaction.

I would suggest calling IB immediately. Have the new proposal ready, along with flight numbers, and ask the agent to reissue the tickets. IB may not be particularly helpful here and tell you that you will need to cancel and rebook, but you have lost nothing by asking.

Also worth noting that if the PHX-TUS segments are not convenient, that this is a <2 hour drive and, depending on where you are headed in Tucson, may be even less. Worth considering to avoid a micro-hop + connection.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:41 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Neither IB nor AA is obligated to do this and it is IB as the ticketing carrier which will handle the transaction.

I would suggest calling IB immediately. Have the new proposal ready, along with flight numbers, and ask the agent to reissue the tickets. IB may not be particularly helpful here and tell you that you will need to cancel and rebook, but you have lost nothing by asking.

Also worth noting that if the PHX-TUS segments are not convenient, that this is a <2 hour drive and, depending on where you are headed in Tucson, may be even less. Worth considering to avoid a micro-hop + connection.
I appreciate your thoughts. I'll get my act together and call IB -- it looks like they have a US office -- and see where it takes me. If there's a way that they could just rebook without having to wait for the Avios to redeposit, that would be ideal. I'd like to avoid driving PHX-TUS simply because I'm traveling with my four year-old and a 4:30 flight plus another two hours in the car makes a *very* long day, especially given the ridiculous rental car situation at PHX!

Thanks!
compson is offline  
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by compson View Post
How quickly were the miles restored?
It took about 3 days for my miles to be refunded.
Wboy411a is offline  
Old Mar 7, 19, 6:28 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by compson View Post
I appreciate your thoughts. I'll get my act together and call IB -- it looks like they have a US office -- and see where it takes me. If there's a way that they could just rebook without having to wait for the Avios to redeposit, that would be ideal. I'd like to avoid driving PHX-TUS simply because I'm traveling with my four year-old and a 4:30 flight plus another two hours in the car makes a *very* long day, especially given the ridiculous rental car situation at PHX!

Thanks!
Did you have any luck with them switching things around?
Juice000 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 6,013
I had a 4 hour connection got to 6 hours 5 minutes in MAD on an MIA-MAD-EAS flight.

There is an alternative to BIO that is a shorter connection (first is 75 minute connection, second is 4 hours 5 minutes), but IB says I can't change the destination on award flights. I thought it was only origin that couldn't change.

After HUCA, I was successful
Do I just keep calling? Or wsa the agent correct (they checked with a supervisor).

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 16, 19 at 9:39 pm
beachfan is online now  
Old Apr 9, 19, 2:57 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 99
I have an IB avios ticket (075 ticket) on BA flight number and BA metal. The flight has just had a minor schedule change (+20 min). It was already a very late flight and now even later so keen to change. If I phone IB will they change the ticket to an earlier flight that day (also BA metal) given this schedule change? There is no award availability no the flight but assume that doesn't matter.
I know BA rules would allow rebooking in a +/- 2 day window (per published policy). Does IB have a similar policy? Would be great to know ahead of calling.
Thanks
barneyb is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,178
Originally Posted by barneyb View Post
I have an IB avios ticket (075 ticket) on BA flight number and BA metal. The flight has just had a minor schedule change (+20 min). It was already a very late flight and now even later so keen to change. If I phone IB will they change the ticket to an earlier flight that day (also BA metal) given this schedule change? There is no award availability no the flight but assume that doesn't matter.
I know BA rules would allow rebooking in a +/- 2 day window (per published policy). Does IB have a similar policy? Would be great to know ahead of calling.
Thanks
AFAIK BA's policy covers 3+ hour schedule changes, not 20 minutes.

Besides that... if it were IB metal you'd have more flexibility, but IB+ is unlikely to move you into revenue inventory on a partner airline just because of a 20 minute schedule change. No harm in asking, but expect a "no".
craigthemif is offline  
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:42 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 99
For a data point, phoned them today and they happy moved my flight to the one previous flight following this 20min schedule change (there was no avios advailabtly so they rebooked into the lowest class advailable in the same cabin). No questions asked.
All very easy.
barneyb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread