Wiki Posts
Search

To IB or not to IB

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
To IB or not to IB

I am not often a fan of my codeshare flights, but I have to give credit where it's due. I am sat in an IB A340 (BA7058 MAD - LHR), in a PE seat, with no-one next to me. I have IFE, at seat power and the seat is wide and comfortable. Allegedly there will be WiFi somewhere.

Oh, and they seemingly have a passable paella in the T4S lounge in the afternoons these days. When did this happen?

In short, this is about as good as a shorthaul codeshare gets for me. I did try for the AUP but no joy, but other than that it's a decent option. And thanks again to those FTers who showed me how to actually do the advanced seat selection trick that facilitated this. Muchas gracias amigos....

​​
subject2load and DELLAS like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Glad to hear you have enjoyed your experience so far! The wi-fi gets even better, as there is one free hour and speed is quite decent

I can't remember whether the paella used to be served before the refurbishment, but it is frequently served since!
ˇDisfrútalo!
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe

Oh, and they seemingly have a passable paella in the T4S lounge in the afternoons these days. When did this happen?

​​
Must be a new thing as I have never seen Paella on offer either before or since the refurb. Good addition to have if its decent.
ReadystEDIgo likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's only during 'proper' meal times - I believe 14:00-16:30 and 21:00 onwards.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BA6501
It's only during 'proper' meal times - I believe 14:00-16:30 and 21:00 onwards.
Isn't 21:00 too early to be proper for Madrid?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Glad to hear you have enjoyed your experience so far! The wi-fi gets even better, as there is one free hour and speed is quite decent
Is there? Is that on all flights with WiFi, and is that to all customers or just to us Golds? Would be great on my upcoming TLV-MAD-JFK flights as normal charges for wifi on IB are expensive with very limited data.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Is there? Is that on all flights with WiFi, and is that to all customers or just to us Golds? Would be great on my upcoming TLV-MAD-JFK flights as normal charges for wifi on IB are expensive with very limited data.
Iberia has a new wi-fi provider on most of the fleet. The A332s came with this installed from the start, and it's been available on all A346s I've flown recently. It's available to all customers on a flight with the new system, sponsored by Visa.

More info and prices here: https://www.iberia.com/es/a-bordo/wifi/ (though it isn't up to date re aircraft types!).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Iberia has a new wi-fi provider on most of the fleet. The A332s came with this installed from the start, and it's been available on all A346s I've flown recently. It's available to all customers on a flight with the new system, sponsored by Visa.

More info and prices here: https://www.iberia.com/es/a-bordo/wifi/ (though it isn't up to date re aircraft types!).
But I see no reference there to one hour free wifi...

Prices are ridiculous considering the data limits. I took a 50mb package on LX recently and despite switching off auto updated, media on whatsapp etc, it lasted me all of about 7 minutes...

I won't pay for onboard wifi anymore if there are data restrictions, as it's a total ripoff.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
I didn't see any option that was free. Took the most basic package. Only reason I took it was because mrs P is not feeling v well and was looking forward to me getting home so I kept her updated on progress. I don't really mind no data for 2 1/2 hours otherwise. Frankly I had worked enough on that trip so I watched the Han Solo movie (again, nice touch).

The timing isn't too bad for me either - might do more one night trips next year but coming back on that one, rather than 2 night trips where I end up coming back on 457 at lunchtime.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:06 am

Maybe there's no free wifi in the short-haul flighrs, but all my recent A346 and A330 TATL flights had the free hour.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used the free hour on the MAD-LHR three times in the last two months, and the crew announce it. Perhaps that 346 still had the old system?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I've used the free hour. And it doesn't actually check your email address if you want to give it another free trial.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good to know for my upcoming A350 flight. What's the data limit on the free hour?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew a 332 recently and no free hour on that one. That used a different system though, Panasonic. Took me by surprise, I must say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.