FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Booking Iberia business class on the same flight with 2 separate award currencies. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1944258-booking-iberia-business-class-same-flight-2-separate-award-currencies.html)

petomoo Dec 6, 2018 10:07 am

Booking Iberia business class on the same flight with 2 separate award currencies.

I'm looking to book an award flight operated by Iberia, one way in business class for two people.

Searching on American Airlines for 2 people shows no availability for my date and flight.

Searching on American Airlines for 1 person shows availability for my date and flight.

Searching on Iberia for 2 people shows no availability for my date and flights.

Searching on Iberia for 1 person shows availability for my date and flight.

So, my question is can I buy 1 business class ticket with AA miles on the Iberia operated flight, while at the same time get the other business class seat on Iberia with Avios points?

corporate-wage-slave Dec 6, 2018 10:54 am

I would say a double booking wouldn't work, there is a fare bucket used for redemptions, U in the case of business class, and I guess this flight visible to both IB and AA as U1, so once sold it will go to U0 on both systems. It's possible it will come back again, immediately or later, as U1 or higher, but you can't count on it.

petomoo Dec 6, 2018 9:27 pm

Can you put it on hold with Iberia, then book it on AA?

Or, can you book it on AA, check if Iberia immediately or soon after releases another business class ticket, and cancel on AA if they don't release the 2nd ticket with the 24 hour free cancellation period with AA?

Thanks!

craigthemif Dec 7, 2018 5:12 am

You're over-thinking this. There's 1 award seat available. It doesn't matter whether AA or IB grabs it. IB is highly unlikely to release another award seat.

GUWonder Dec 8, 2018 5:32 am

Originally Posted by petomoo (Post 30505525)
I'm looking to book an award flight operated by Iberia, one way in business class for two people.

Searching on American Airlines for 2 people shows no availability for my date and flight.

Searching on American Airlines for 1 person shows availability for my date and flight.

Searching on Iberia for 2 people shows no availability for my date and flights.

Searching on Iberia for 1 person shows availability for my date and flight.

So, my question is can I buy 1 business class ticket with AA miles on the Iberia operated flight, while at the same time get the other business class seat on Iberia with Avios points?

Book with AA miles and then place the booking on hold. Then go to Iberia to try to book with Avios points. But there is a very high chance that there is only one award seat available in business class that is available using either, but not both, kind of miles/points.

petomoo Dec 8, 2018 10:16 am

Yep, just one award. As soon as I put it on hold with AA, it disappeared from Iberia...