Wiki Posts
Search

50% avios redemptions to the US

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+, BAEC
50% avios redemptions to the US

So I'm pretty sure Iberia is just trolling US members at this point but there is a 50% avios sale for return flights to BOS, JFK, ORD at this point. Must originate in Madrid, though and must be an existing IB+ member. Also only valid on economy fares.

Not the greatest promotion but might be useful to someone.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Link?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I got it in an email.

Conditions in Spanish (PDF warning)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:54 pm

17000 Avios + € 160 in taxes to get a refundable return ticket to JFK, BOS or ORD is not bad.

I have done a search and it is pricing the one way ticket at 8500 Avios + $ 110.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
If flexibility is valued, it is an absolute bargain.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yllanes
17000 Avios + € 160 in taxes to get a refundable return ticket to JFK, BOS or ORD is not bad.

I have done a search and it is pricing the one way ticket at 8500 Avios + $ 110.
January - March only. Semana Santa is in April this year.

Kudos to IB+ for trying to fill some planes, but cash fares aren't going to be very high at that time of year...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yllanes

Interesting that one way pricing works considering that the conditions specify it must be return.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:18 am

Yep, gonna be an interesting (tough) first quarter for airlines...
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Interesting that one way pricing works considering that the conditions specify it must be return.
Oferta valida para trayectos de ida o de ida y vuelta.
I'm assuming that allows one-way ex-MAD, but not the other direction, but I haven't checked.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:31 am

I think I checked before and it worked. This is a good promotion for me, my brother is going to visit me in San Francisco, but we'll meet in Chicago first. LCG-MAD-ORD for 13000 avios and $100 and return SFO-BCN-LCG for $ 250 on Level. Cash prices for a slightly worse itinerary were more than € 900 (because the cheap Level fare cannot be combined to a reasonable fare to Chicago, and even a straight MAD-ORD-MAD trip was not as cheap as you would expect for that time of year).
dcas likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:37 am

I tried ORD/BOS/JFK to MAD one way and it worked.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:41 am

tough for them and me...i´m -90k in my iberia plus.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by casomers
tough for them and me...i´m -90k in my iberia plus.
Mostly tough for you (and others).

I know that many people assumed they just wouldn't care about being effectively shut out of IB+. But promos like this are fairly regular. In 2017 and the first half of 2018 I flew all over the place in IB J with 25% discounts... That is more valuable to me than a one-time travel hack for 90K cheap Avios in BAEC instead of IB+.
tobsw and LupineChemist like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Mostly tough for you (and others).

I know that many people assumed they just wouldn't care about being effectively shut out of IB+. But promos like this are fairly regular. In 2017 and the first half of 2018 I flew all over the place in IB J with 25% discounts... That is more valuable to me than a one-time travel hack for 90K cheap Avios in BAEC instead of IB+.
With respect, not knocking any offer per se, just saying that the past couple of years i´ve seen these offers they have been rather restrictive in regard to both destination and dates. Like the iberiacards offers for 50% off avios, you need to be flexible in your time off and you know yourself that sometimes the list of destinations is limited.
My comment on the 90k avios promo is related to their I.T. processing as i´m waiting for my account correction....if it ever comes.
How would someone who ....had 40k avios balance , got 90k avios with junes promo , spent 85k on J returns in July 2018 then has 90k removed on 02/12, make the most of this offer ?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by casomers
How would someone who ....had 40k avios balance , got 90k avios with junes promo , spent 85k on J returns in July 2018 then has 90k removed on 02/12, make the most of this offer ?
It wasn't my intention to give you a hard time personally. It's hard to distinguish sometimes between those FTers who clearly were trying to game the promo and others who might have come across an IT glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.