Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Becks194
I was -at least - able to change the date for a British Airways Award flight in Business/First Class DUS-LHR-LAS yesterday. Iberia Plus hotline (Germany, where I live). That award booking included 2750 additional miles not from this promotion if that is worth mentioning.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Just got a schedule change on one of these bookings, and I am contemplating asking for a refund as the new time is much less convenient. Anyone experienced that?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Any reroute that works for you? IB is pretty good about reroutes for even minor schedule changes.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Well, I have two bookings with similar issues. One is on a flight that operates once a day (RAK-MAD) and got moved up to an earlier time, which isn't great as we had plans, and rerouting via London really wouldn't make sense.
On my other itinerary (TATL), there is a much better connection on BA now, but no award space available, so I don't know if they would allow it.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:41 pm

So on the last day I remembered I had 5200 avios left and booked a hotel room. I guess it was after midnight in Spain, but I wasn't thinking about that. When I booked the hotel I had the avios in my account so I just assumed it was good to go. Now I check today and I have -5000. Thats slightly annoying, not sure what to do with that.

edit: yea just checked and it was 00:41 in Spain when I booked it. Well thats an unlucky coincidence I would rather not have the booking than have to pay back 5000 avios, I only did it because it was 'free', it was not a great redemption in terms of cents per avios
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I have a flight of next Sept booked that cost me 120k avios which include 90k from promo, I'm wondering if I canceled this flight right now, will they deduct 90k from refunded avios
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TinySheep
I have a flight of next Sept booked that cost me 120k avios which include 90k from promo, I'm wondering if I canceled this flight right now, will they deduct 90k from refunded avios
Quite possible. Why don't you go for it and give us a confirmed data point.
DELLAS and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Hello,

I used my 90K but am now thinking of changing one of the flights I used those Avios for.
If I managed to cancel that flight, getting a refund of the Avios, would they immediately be stripped from me ?

I ask as I would actually like to simply change the date of travel on that Avios ticket.

Any ideas ?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hello,

I used my 90K but am now thinking of changing one of the flights I used those Avios for.
If I managed to cancel that flight, getting a refund of the Avios, would they immediately be stripped from me ?

I ask as I would actually like to simply change the date of travel on that Avios ticket.

Any ideas ?
Don't cancel. Changing the date and cancelling are 2 different things.

IB has said you can't make changes to these tickets. However, some here think changing the date by phone might still go through, since you are normally just charged a small fee for this (or even $0). Cancelling would most likely wipe out the points.

I think no one has tried this yet and shared the result.
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Thanks for the reply. I was going to try and change the date online after I thought about it for a bit longer (once I can log back in as Iberia have screwed my account up again) to see whether it was even an option and at what cost.
I think I'll give them a call though if I can find a decent number for them.
Cheers.

Off topic:
(My Iberia log in problem happens often and is really winding me up.
It tells me my pin is incorrect (when I know full well it isn't) so the only thing I can do is change the pin....when I put in the pin I was originally entering as the new pin I want, the system tells me that I can not use that pin as it is the current pin.....! Proving my point that it was the correct pin that I was entering all along. BUT even then when I change the pin to something else their system just gives me an error saying it can't change the pin.....................................Bloody Infuriating)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:38 am

Well I called Iberia and they changed the return legs of 2 flights I booked (one for me, one for my Mother). Some of the Avios used would have been from the promotion, but only about 50% maximum (as had transferred other Avios into the account anyway)
£44 change fees (25 euros each ticket I'm guessing) plus a call centre service charge of £30 (for Brits, other member locations may vary).

Under other circumstances I would have quibbled and argued (politely) over the £30 service charge given I couldn't complete the change online but thought it was a big enough win.

Now I have seven more nights on holiday to plan - yippee !

I love Iberia :-) (having never flown them before !!!!!! but their business class seats look nice)
Granite64 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:29 pm

I'm very glad this worked out! I shouldn't have said you necessarily had to call, if it's possible to do it online. In any case thank you for sharing the result!

Regarding the PIN, the IB site does not like autocomplete in my browser. When I login that way it complains like it did for you. If I either touch the IB number and PIN or just re-enter it, then I can login. Also, if I use iPhone with Safari, it doesn't complain. I hope that might help.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
I'm very glad this worked out! I shouldn't have said you necessarily had to call, if it's possible to do it online. In any case thank you for sharing the result!

Regarding the PIN, the IB site does not like autocomplete in my browser. When I login that way it complains like it did for you. If I either touch the IB number and PIN or just re-enter it, then I can login. Also, if I use iPhone with Safari, it doesn't complain. I hope that might help.
Yes, we should have a wiki or a sticky or something. I simply retype my password and all works fine. Try to use the saved password on my browser and it errors out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Yes, we should have a wiki or a sticky or something. I simply retype my password and all works fine. Try to use the saved password on my browser and it errors out.
I put it this thread's wiki a while ago. Maybe the threads could be merged, but the topics aren't 100% identical.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
I predict an amnesty on the negative balances.

It can't be good for Iberia as people might be put off booking with them, given that the passenger can not benefit from any Avios they earn from a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.