Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You can even edit your existing passport number.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, HH, Accor, IHG
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You can even edit your existing passport number.
yes but i have the negative avios problem
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I meant that you could probably change your name, email address, passport number etc. to some bogus data.
Then have the account deleted and create a new one with the same data.
Whether that would be a good idea, is a different matter.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:09 pm

I meant that you could probably change your name, email address, passport number etc. to some bogus data.
Then have the account deleted and create a new one with the same data.
Whether that would be a good idea, is a different matter.
what about my icon visa. i think its a mess. i actually fly vueling alot although i credit all my IB flights to BAEC.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by deliciafelicia
what about my icon visa. i think its a mess. i actually fly vueling alot although i credit all my IB flights to BAEC.
You'd have to get rid of your Icon as well. Even if the bank lets you change the IB+ number they send the Avios to, that's another red flag of suspicious behaviour that might prompt IB+ to audit you and close down your account.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
You should have thought about all these issues before December 1st.

I have the impression many people didn't think Iberia Plus would actually remove Avios (if unused) on December 1st.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

maybe just run a new linked iberia plus + avios + baec. add new family member on new baec to old one. that could work
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:57 pm

maybe just run a new linked iberia plus + avios + baec. add new family member on new baec to old one. that could work
It really seems asking for too much trouble just to save some Avios, which, if they come from the promotion, did not cost too much money. Plus you won't solve the problem of your Icon crediting to an IB+ account with a negative balance. I would just accept the loss of Avios and move on.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
maybe just run a new linked iberia plus + avios + baec.
Agreed. If someone wants to go the "delete accounts and create new ones" route, it makes sense to get rid of all existing avios accounts. If you have previously linked BAEC, IB+, and/or avios.com/EI accounts, IAG knows and is unlikely to forget. By not deleting everything, one is risking account closures.

On the other hand, IAG is not very good at figuring out if a user is doing multi-accounting. A new email address is like a new life.... So I would be somewhat surprised to see problems if somebody starts afresh with all IAG accounts simultaneously.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1flyer
Agreed. If someone wants to go the "delete accounts and create new ones" route, it makes sense to get rid of all existing avios accounts. If you have previously linked BAEC, IB+, and/or avios.com/EI accounts, IAG knows and is unlikely to forget. By not deleting everything, one is risking account closures.

On the other hand, IAG is not very good at figuring out if a user is doing multi-accounting. A new email address is like a new life.... So I would be somewhat surprised to see problems if somebody starts afresh with all IAG accounts simultaneously.
Not to mention that you'll have to spend a year or two not really collecting Avios, until you feel confident enough that any new Avios earned won't be confiscated. You might also need all new credit cards, since the same payment method used for two supposedly different "John Smith"s also looks dodgy.

The thing about blatantly breaking the rules is that it is much harder to plead ignorance and/or beg for mercy if you get caught. Which might never happen of course, but is -90K Avios (not even 1,000 euros to buy via Groupon) worth the risk?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Not to mention that you'll have to spend a year or two not really collecting Avios, until you feel confident enough that any new Avios earned won't be confiscated. You might also need all new credit cards, since the same payment method used for two supposedly different "John Smith"s also looks dodgy.
Why not also fake your death?
casomers, Lizie and kapooncha like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
Why not also fake your death?
You mock, but IHG has busted multiple accounts via credit card duplication.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Now just wondering whether I'll be able to make a simple date change if necessary, considering this wouldn't involved canceling or route change.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
That's the next stage. Not so much date changes, etc. (which should be ok) but whether IB+ is going to expire Avios that return from a post 1 December cancellation...
Originally Posted by clubman
Indeed that is the big question. I guess it's down to how clever their IT is, but we'll wait and see...
I was -at least - able to change the date for a British Airways Award flight in Business/First Class DUS-LHR-LAS yesterday. Iberia Plus hotline (Germany, where I live). That award booking included 2750 additional miles not from this promotion if that is worth mentioning.

Have not asked about route changes, but would prefer to do that. Might try this today. Does anyone know about that? I would like to change the destination from LAS to ORD or DEN. While ORD is in an even lower mileage band, DEN costs 92750 miles as well.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:16 am

Route changes are not possible, you need to cancel and rebook.
The Avios refund seems to be a manual process, so it’s very possible that they can easily enforce the rules.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:30 pm

Route changes are not possible, you need to cancel and rebook.
The Avios refund seems to be a manual process, so it’s very possible that they can easily enforce the rules.
My understanding is that if you cancel your booking now you will lose the avios as it's after the 1st December deadline. Amusing of course the booking was made with the promotional avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.