Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
I had ~8000 Avios left over at the end and decided to take a gamble and transfer them out to avios.com just in case IB didn't send accounts negative. In the end I got a negative balance in my IB account so have just transferred them back to stay on the right side of IB. Was a bit of a waste as I could have booked a short haul BA redemption or something, but I got some value from the promo so I'll just forget about it and move on.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Good news: ended up with a 'minus 90K account' with IB. Emailed yesterday to [email protected] to request a full erase of my personal data. Got confirmed today that all is gone.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Gomac

It may not be as simple as that. IB and BAEC accounts are definitely connected somehow. When I was originally able to transfer the bonus Avios from IB to BA (in small chuncks before they opened it up to everyone) my account was placed in audit by Iberia and BA said it was out of their hands, after 3 weeks it was eventually sorted and the account suspension lifted but I have a feeling this is going to get messy.
all avios in my BAEC account burnt in november and award flights are already flown 😁 Im done!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero
AGL are still in the process of winding down the Avios Travel Reward Programs. After closing the UK scheme earlier this year, the focus has now turned towards the ZA scheme which AGL recently announced will close on 31 May 2019. I suppose the planned migration of IB+ and BAEC onto the common Avios platform will follow soon after.
Perhaps... although I would still argue that rationalising what are essentially shopping portals (with uncertain strategic raisons-d'etre) is substantially different from merging airline loyalty programmes.

However this promo has helped demonstrate the weakness of IB+'s IT and, although BA is hardly world class, a common behind-the-scenes platform could certainly be useful.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like my 4100 remaining got withdrawn but account is properly netted to zero

Booked my other two bookings around 530pm ET (one on AA, one on Level) -- both ticketed and look fine and I had expected the loss of the 4100.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Had 1500 points left which they withdrew, so as expected, my account is now down to zero.

Now just wondering whether I'll be able to make a simple date change if necessary, considering this wouldn't involved canceling or route change.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman

Now just wondering whether I'll be able to make a simple date change if necessary, considering this wouldn't involved canceling or route change.
That's the next stage. Not so much date changes, etc. (which should be ok) but whether IB+ is going to expire Avios that return from a post 1 December cancellation...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Indeed that is the big question. I guess it's down to how clever their IT is, but we'll wait and see...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
Indeed that is the big question. I guess it's down to how clever their IT is, but we'll wait and see...
Apart from the last minute redemption snafus, it does appear that the correct number of Avios are being expired. Somewhat surprised actually, but the IT does seem to be doing its job so far...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Apart from the last minute redemption snafus, it does appear that the correct number of Avios are being expired. Somewhat surprised actually, but the IT does seem to be doing its job so far...
Cant really agree that the IT is doing its job in my case, 85k of the bonus used, account went -90k from 02/12. piss poor I.T. i´d say.
email sent to them, we´ll see what happens.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:37 am

I have -44K Avios in my IB+ account now. Earlier when I had 44k in my account, I was planning to redeem them for 2 RT economy YVR-DFW for 46K. Had the remaining 2K sitting in my BA account too. But when I tried transferring them to IB+, it did not go through because IB+ had my date of birth (DOB) wrong. And this was after I sent them a copy of my passport back in July! I spent Nov 28-30 on phone, email, Twitter DM, Facebook Messenger requesting them to correct my DOB so I can book the tickets, but there was just no response. Late on Nov 30, when I did not hear back from them, I transferred them to BA and redeemed them for the same flights.

I tried to follow the rules, but hey, you can only do so much!

Wonder what IB+ plans to do with the negative balance accounts. It is easy to just abandon them. It will get a whole lot interesting if IB+ starts
- removing these miles from avios.com/BA
- canceling tickets

Let's see what happens.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Good news: ended up with a 'minus 90K account' with IB. Emailed yesterday to [email protected] to request a full erase of my personal data. Got confirmed today that all is gone.
Awesome! This worked for me. Data erased, IB account deleted.
Travel-Quinten likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by samhoq
I have -44K Avios in my IB+ account now. Earlier when I had 44k in my account, I was planning to redeem them for 2 RT economy YVR-DFW for 46K. Had the remaining 2K sitting in my BA account too. But when I tried transferring them to IB+, it did not go through because IB+ had my date of birth (DOB) wrong. And this was after I sent them a copy of my passport back in July! I spent Nov 28-30 on phone, email, Twitter DM, Facebook Messenger requesting them to correct my DOB so I can book the tickets, but there was just no response. Late on Nov 30, when I did not hear back from them, I transferred them to BA and redeemed them for the same flights.

I tried to follow the rules, but hey, you can only do so much!

Wonder what IB+ plans to do with the negative balance accounts. It is easy to just abandon them. It will get a whole lot interesting if IB+ starts
- removing these miles from avios.com/BA
- canceling tickets

Let's see what happens.
You could have called for a manual transfer, or just pay the difference in avios + money on a redemption that would still be a good value with the avios.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
You could have called for a manual transfer, or just pay the difference in avios + money on a redemption that would still be a good value with the avios.
Oh yeah, I did call about 10 times before resorting to emailing [email protected], DMing in Twitter, Using Facebook Messenger. IB+ just chose to stay away.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Avios, Aeroplan, HH, Accor, IHG
ok but lets say i get a new avios account. my old one was with my residence card number. i can get a newone with my passport number. emails can be changed in baec and avios no problem but will i have problems if i use the combine my avios feture?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.