Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
The Ts & Cs in my email clearly say they can be spent today:
"2-Los Avios se podrán gastar en el Programa Iberia Plus en el periodo comprendido entre la anotación y el día 1 de diciembre de 2018. "
Surely they could wait until 23:59 to withdraw them.
"entre" / between doesn't include 1 December. I will arrive between 5 and 6 pm (llegaré entre las 5 y las 6) doesn't mean that you should arrive at 6:59 pm... P.S. skip the Spanish tardiness / siesta jokes.
tobsw likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Granite64
I could be wrong, and please forgive me if I am, but did you miss out on this deal or something? The only thing I see from you in here are messages like these..
Because in today's world of fake news and alternative facts, I feel that it's necessary to keep reminding people of the actual T&Cs of the promo and IB+, rather than an incorrect interpretation that some people have made up to suit themselves.

I participated, received my bonus Avios, and spent them on Iberia reward flights, as per the T&Cs of the promotion. I won't go so far as to definitively say "as the promotion was intended" - since nobody knows why IB+ decided on such an over-generous promo - but that's certainly how I see it.
TGflyergirl, maverick17 and tobsw like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It is also worth noting the possibility that the special terms and conditions attached to the Avios earned via this promotion transferred to the corresponding BAEC accounts:
Executive Club Conditions of Use
Once Avios have been transferred to a Programme they are subject to the terms and conditions of that Programme as applicable at the date of transfer. In the event of any dispute as to the entitlement to the Avios points originally issued to a Member, the terms and conditions of the Programme under which Avios points were issued shall apply.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use
craigthemif and tobsw like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
With most FF programs I'm familiar with, the terms and conditions state miles/points have 'no cash value' and if there is no cash value, I'm not sure how there could be a debt to collect.
GDPR works not only on the wording of its remit but the spirit it was intended. Trying to use GDPR as an instrument to stop a company collecting their own property would not be supported.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Prospero
It is also worth noting the possibility that the special terms and conditions attached to the Avios earned via this promotion transferred to the corresponding BAEC accounts:
Executive Club Conditions of Use
Once Avios have been transferred to a Programme they are subject to the terms and conditions of that Programme as applicable at the date of transfer. In the event of any dispute as to the entitlement to the Avios points originally issued to a Member, the terms and conditions of the Programme under which Avios points were issued shall apply.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

So effectively right of set off do you think?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by rrgg
Can you really not think of a plausible explanation? Things happen unexpectedly in life. [deleted longer explanation]
If you have time to be around this forum (and you have been... we can check!), you should have spend that time redeeming your soon to expire Avios. Any excuse is never good enough. Everyone will agree that, if you have time to keep up to date your loyalty programs, I am sure you have time to put a big red cross in you calendar. Perhaps, since you seem overworked (excuse deleted by the author), you should use some calendar skills

Anyway, I think Iberia Plus has been EXTREMELY generous with this promotion, giving us plenty of time to redeem the promotional Avios. Plenty. And, the Term and Conditions of the promotion were simple, and very clear.
  • For each booking during that June weekend, you would receive 9.000 Avios (as long as Iberia, Iberia Express or Air Nostrum operated). NO dates restriction. No minim flight length, no minimum cash value...
  • Up to x10 (meaning, you could earn 90k Avios very easily, no flying.... and VERY CHEAP).
  • But, and Importantly: you had to redeem Avios according to the IbPlus T&Cs BEFORE 1st DEC (we could argue whether that means on or before, but the Spanish T&C, legally binding as Iberia Plus is a Spanish company, and hence, only Spanish documents are legally binding, were clear that it was before. Several users in this forum have warned that yesterday Nov 30 was the last day to redeem. And it is obvious that when you buy something from a Spanish company, that means Madrid time. It is obvious).
  • You had no restriction how to use the Avios, no restriction on dates. Hotels, car hire, flights, upgrades, discounts, cinema tickets, wine,... many, many options. If you didn't get the Business flight you wanted, you weren't quick enough. I got the one I wanted. And many more too. Transfers to BA Executive Club and Avios UK are NOT considered redemptions according to Ib Plus T&Cs. The thing is, you knew that before as well.
  • Iberia Plus promised that if you didn't redeem the Avios before 1st, they would remove them from your account. And that is what they have done. Exactly this. You redeem your promotional Avios on time. No problem. You didn't, Iberia Plus removed them.
I, as many other have done, spent the Avios following these simple conditions. And no problems at all.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I redeemed 90k miles as per the t&c on Iberia flights last night. The miles were still in my account. The timing was before midnight US EST (where I am located) but after midnight in Spain. Today I see a negative balance of -90k. This is extremely shady and unethical behavior, and potentially illegal. Since the t&c didn't specify a time zone, and since the miles were still in my account, it is preposterous to believe that I didn't meet them and for my account to go negative. To the apologists above - please spare me the judgement of why I waited until the last minute - this is none of your business and it is irrelevant to the case here. I agree that the promotion was generous, yet that doesn't give IB the right to engage in shady behavior, once they have decided to honor it.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I redeemed 90k miles as per the t&c on Iberia flights last night. The miles were still in my account. The timing was before midnight US EST (where I am located) but after midnight in Spain. Today I see a negative balance of -90k. This is extremely shady and unethical behavior, and potentially illegal. Since the t&c didn't specify a time zone, and since the miles were still in my account, it is preposterous to believe that I didn't meet them and for my account to go negative. To the apologists above - please spare me the judgement of why I waited until the last minute - this is none of your business and it is irrelevant to the case here. I agree that the promotion was generous, yet that doesn't give IB the right to engage in shady behavior, once they have decided to honor it.
But IB is a Spanish company, so the Spanish timezone applies unless they would state some other timezone.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
No it doesn't. Their frequent flyer program is targeted to US customers. Moreover, if the miles are still there, obviously that rule of yours is not true.
Originally Posted by Granite64
But IB is a Spanish company, so the Spanish timezone applies unless they would state some other timezone.
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by petey2428

the explanation is procrastination and laziness. You can always make time to do something.

No. I made the time last fall and would have burned the miles and flown already. I cancelled due to a family emergency.

In mid-November I made time and then they shut down the website for the weekend.

Last week I made time and found another solution, until IB said they won’t ticket a PE award on JAL even though it’s in their chart.

This week I made time and burned 95k on 11/30, but my last short haul ticketed at 6:05pm EST so I'm out a small amount.

I’m pretty sure I made time. I spent so much time I was starting to question whether I should even ticket anything. Yes it was a generous promotion, but IT and clarity in T&C are not IB's strengths.
noneemac likes this.

Last edited by rrgg; Dec 1, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Yikes; this has become messy.

So my Iberia account had 90k in Avios go in, and 6k in Avios from Groupon. I made a redemption for 90k, and transferred the remaining 6k avios out to BA.

It seems to make the redemption Iberia took 84k in points from the bonus avios promo and 6k from the Groupon pile. Therefore I only redeemed "84k of the promo avios".

The call centre were pretty damn rude stating; "I should have read the rules" and hung up. These Avios were clearly treated as a separate balance which is a shame as when I made the redemption there was no clear way to make sure it was these Avios there used!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Yikes; this has become messy.

So my Iberia account had 90k in Avios go in, and 6k in Avios from Groupon. I made a redemption for 90k, and transferred the remaining 6k avios out to BA.

It seems to make the redemption Iberia took 84k in points from the bonus avios promo and 6k from the Groupon pile. Therefore I only redeemed "84k of the promo avios".

The call centre were pretty damn rude stating; "I should have read the rules" and hung up. These Avios were clearly treated as a separate balance which is a shame as when I made the redemption there was no clear way to make sure it was these Avios there used!
Sounds like an IT issue. If you have time to wait for the 6k, I'd just write that you received 90k and redeemed 90k yet had avios taken away. Don't mention Groupon avios as they're irrelevant.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Sounds like an IT issue. If you have time to wait for the 6k, I'd just write that you received 90k and redeemed 90k yet had avios taken away. Don't mention Groupon avios as they're irrelevant.
I agree, since it's a relatively small amount I would email and just say that you redeemed the full 90k. It seems better than trying to call several times.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Iberia can pound sand about my negative balance. Their website is ...... and the call centre agents are stupid lazy untrained agents who can't use the systems at their disposal to book partner awards
flyersky1 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Whoever redeemed or tried to redeem these points a day, an hour or even minutes before the deadline passed should give his head a serious shake. You can't honestly expect sympathy here on FT for such a totally idiotic move!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.