Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Some of us gambled to get in on the deal and won 90K IB avios, we gambled again with negative balances and lost. I have ~30k negative. I grabbed a random one way business class just in time yesterday though could not find outbound space (yes i'm a dummy i didn't just grab economy) Of course now that they are gone i get offer to upgrade to premium economy on a return flight MAD-BOS i had booked long before the promo. too bad that didn't come earlier.

Those who did not book right away were pretty out of luck as it seemed the purposely blocked redemption on the best carriers. There were some good dates in CX F JFK-YVR but even though BA showed available they stopped appearing on IB site. I'm just going to sit on the negative balance for now and see how it plays out. Worst case i move them back from BA where they have been sitting since day 1.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
Can you really not think of a plausible explanation? Things happen unexpectedly in life. [deleted longer explanation]
the explanation is procrastination and laziness. You can always make time to do something.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I've closed our IB accounts.
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can you close them despite a negative balance?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:39 am

I closed them before. THey can't take points from an account that doesn't exist and they can't take them from elsewhere as that would be a breach of GDPR data protection rules.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mdj1
I closed them before. THey can't take points from an account that doesn't exist and they can't take them from elsewhere as that would be a breach of GDPR data protection rules.
You will not be covered under GDPR.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:53 am

I specifically asked them to remove all data held on me and they have confirmed this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:09 am

I specifically asked them to remove all data held on me and they have confirmed this.
Companys are allowed to retain necessary info for debt collection.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Lizie
Companys are allowed to retain necessary info for debt collection.
With most FF programs I'm familiar with, the terms and conditions state miles/points have 'no cash value' and if there is no cash value, I'm not sure how there could be a debt to collect.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please think about the Avios we collect and who they actually belong to. They all belong to AGL, irrespective of whether they sit in a BAEC member's account or an IB+ member's account
Lizie likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by beachmouse
With most FF programs I'm familiar with, the terms and conditions state miles/points have 'no cash value' and if there is no cash value, I'm not sure how there could be a debt to collect.
Even though the T&C say that for some programs,,,, (although IbPlus does not say that), there's plenty of evidence for the opposite (look at Air Berlin).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by beachmouse
IB doesn't claim they have no value, they claim they aren't transferable to cash. A very important distinction. You should default to the Spanish terms with IB.

Los Avios y Puntos Elite no son canjeables por dinero u otros bienes fuera de los especificados por el Programa. Los Avios y Puntos Elite no sern acumulables a los concedidos por cualquier otro Programa en el que participen las compaas participantes.
Regardless, a debt in avios may be collected in Avios and you agree that the BAEC account is also yours by the nature of the terms of the transfer.
craigthemif and tobsw like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Since Avios don't have value (apparently) I'm sure nobody will mind if IB+ then take their 90K Avios away from BAEC...
tobsw likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
The Ts & Cs in my email clearly say they can be spent today:
"2-Los Avios se podrn gastar en el Programa Iberia Plus en el periodo comprendido entre la anotacin y el da 1 de diciembre de 2018. "
Surely they could wait until 23:59 to withdraw them.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Since Avios don't have value (apparently) I'm sure nobody will mind if IB+ then take their 90K Avios away from BAEC...
I could be wrong, and please forgive me if I am, but did you miss out on this deal or something? The only thing I see from you in here are messages like these..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.