Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyersky1
No it doesn't. Their frequent flyer program is targeted to US customers. Moreover, if the miles are still there, obviously that rule of yours is not true.
To be fair: The world doesn't center around the U.S. (you) and it's common practice with any company that for any sort of deadline the time zone of the official place of business (HQ) is taken into account. Not where some customers might reside. United / Lifemiles use EST when they're having a mileage sale so do residents of Hawaii have a standing to complain? No, they don't!

That being said the case where they moved your account to negative after you were able to make a proper redemption is insane and makes no sense. You followed the rules: The miles were available in the account and you redeemed for Iberia. Can't do any more. Even though as I wrote in my post above I think it's idiotic to wait until the very last minute to redeem miles that have been sitting in the account for months.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Please spare me the US bashing. It's not about US, it's about where the program is marketed. The fact that I am in US is irrelevant, I could be making the same argument if I was in BKK. In your example, if UA says they are using EST, and when the deadline comes, you can't buy more miles. Iberia didn't specify and on top of that they let me use the miles. If they had removed them by midnight ECT time, I would have no problem. If I had transferred them to BA avios, I would have no issue with them since that violates T&C. The fact that they let me use the miles and then deducted them shows that they were quite vague and it's shady. I like your second paragraph, that is exactly my point. Except the last sentence, please spare me the idiotic part. You don't know my circumstances, maybe I was waiting for a seat to open, maybe I was finalizing my plans, or maybe I had more important things to do than book a ticket and finally found some time.

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
To be fair: The world doesn't center around the U.S. (you) and it's common practice with any company that for any sort of deadline the time zone of the official place of business (HQ) is taken into account. Not where some customers might reside. United / Lifemiles use EST when they're having a mileage sale so do residents of Hawaii have a standing to complain? No, they don't!

That being said the case where they moved your account to negative after you were able to make a proper redemption is insane and makes no sense. You followed the rules: The miles were available in the account and you redeemed for Iberia. Can't do any more. Even though as I wrote in my post above I think it's idiotic to wait until the very last minute to redeem miles that have been sitting in the account for months.
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:52 pm

The fact that they let me use the miles and then deducted them shows that they were quite vague and it's shady.
I would just like to point out that, as has been mentioned before on this forum, IB+ usually runs its daily updates at about 02.00, so the fact that the miles did not disappear precisely at midnight is standard procedure.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
Whats the deal with the negative balance folks? We are gonna just wait and see what happens? I had a last minute booking + 40k points transfer causing -90k balance right now.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Alaska, American, Delta, Aer Lingus, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Mine didn’t go negative

even tho I moved them to aer Lingus

maybe be because I have aer Lingus and Iberia chase cards
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:39 am

Mine have gone 90k negative today, even though i spent 85k of the bonus.
They really dont have any handle on this at all.
Think Its gonna be a long hard slog sorting all this out.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Granite64
But IB is a Spanish company, so the Spanish timezone applies unless they would state some other timezone.
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
No need to dignify the OP's delusions with a response. He is not the centre of the universe and the idea that companies are legally required to cater for the time zones of each and every one of their customers / members is ridiculous.

Since the OP signed up to the T&Cs of IB+, he agreed to this:

The General and Operating Conditions form a whole and shall be interpreted and applied in accordance with the Laws of the Kingdom of Spain, with the Spanish version prevailing over any translation. Customers will assume the liability derived from the use of the Programme in their respective countries of residence in accordance with the applicable local legislation in each case. For any question that may arise in relation to the interpretation and application of these General Conditions, the parties, who expressly waive any code of law that may correspond to them, submit expressly to the jurisdiction of the courts and tribunals of the city of Madrid.
https://www.iberia.com/es/iberiaplus/conditions/
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Guys, can we please keep the tone a bit more civil here?
This is not what I brought my popcorn for.
DYKWIA and noneemac like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Indeed. The next BAEC batch update is at about 6pm Sunday (GMT, let's be precise). So that's the next interesting touchpoint. I think it'll be fine personally but no skin in the game as regards negative balance at IB.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by rrgg
Last week I made time and found another solution, until IB said they won’t ticket a PE award on JAL even though it’s in their chart.

I´d love to know where I can find this chart, showing Avios PE availability on JAL operated flight?

Last edited by tobsw; Dec 2, 2018 at 3:28 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
No it doesn't. Their frequent flyer program is targeted to US customers. Moreover, if the miles are still there, obviously that rule of yours is not true.
I want to know more about this. Which arguments make you think this statement?
klanfa likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:52 am

You are the one delusional here. Please read my response carefully and turn your brain on before you blabber something.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
No need to dignify the OP's delusions with a response. He is not the centre of the universe and the idea that companies are legally required to cater for the time zones of each and every one of their customers / members is ridiculous.

Since the OP signed up to the T&Cs of IB+, he agreed to this:

https://www.iberia.com/es/iberiaplus/conditions/
noneemac likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:57 am

When IB+ runs its daily update is none of our business and is definitely not in the T&C. This, combined with the fact that they did not mention a precise time when the promotion ends would lead any reasonable and well-intentioned person to believe that the promotion is not over. And the miles definitely not disappear at 2.00 so your little theory is wrong.

Originally Posted by Yllanes
I would just like to point out that, as has been mentioned before on this forum, IB+ usually runs its daily updates at about 02.00, so the fact that the miles did not disappear precisely at midnight is standard procedure.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:08 am

I don't understand your hostility when I was just trying to give some information.

With posts like that this thread will become useless in no time. I understand that some people have just gambled and lost and want to rant, but we have also seen cases where there has been some glitch or complication that has nothing to do with missing the deadline and for whom this could actually be useful.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:46 am

Transfered my avios to BA and now got minus in my IB+ account. But I dont care. Iberia really lost me as a customer for this bad handled campaign. Will not use IB+ more. Adios amigos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.