Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travel-Quinten
This thread provides information, experiences and thoughts relating to the IB promotion in June 2018, whereby it was possible to get up to 90k bonus Avios for making Iberia bookings. The terms and conditions of this offer indicated that these bonus Avios needed to be used before 1 December. Consequently from 1 December 2018 Iberia has withdrawn Avios for at least some accounts. At least 1 person reported an account with a negative balance could be closed without problems.

Related threads:
Iberia's 90,000 point catch - 'the negative balance' on transfers [thread closed]
Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!l [thread closed]
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Print Wikipost

Check Your Iberia Account [IB withdrawing unused 90k promotion Avios 1 Dec 2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:03 pm

They’ve already done that if you ticketed by midnight in a US time zone at least but you have to ask.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
I predict an amnesty on the negative balances.
Hello, why do you think it? I hope you get it right but my account continues with -90000 avios.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:17 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by rrgg
They’ve already done that if you ticketed by midnight in a US time zone at least but you have to ask.
Who did you contact at IB?
I emailed them @[email protected] and they shot me down. I booked tickets at 18:10 ET but no go.
The only reason it was after 6pm was the crappy IB website. I spent the best part of an hour trying to get the booking made

Granted this was a new a/c only opened for this promo, but its -90k now and I would like to get this fixed as I also have a BA a/c and sooner or later they will merge them
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:41 pm

Send a polite private message to the Iberia_en twitter account. The main account is probably even better if you speak Spanish. Also my account is several years old and I didn’t have a lot of points at stake.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by piblo
Hello, why do you think it? I hope you get it right but my account continues with -90000 avios.
Does this only apply to positive balances or also to negative balances? Will your negative balance reset if there are no transactions for 36 months?
Old Jan 27, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by piblo
Because people with neg balances will be discouraged from making new bookings with them
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
Because people with neg balances will be discouraged from making new bookings with them
You seem to lack a basic understanding of how Oneworld frequent flyer programmes or "Combine Your Avios" work. Those people who opened brand new IB+ accounts for this promo (or had old, mostly unused ones) and are now -90K ALMOST NEVER credited flights to IB+ but instead used BA, AA or some other Oneworld ffp. It is precisely this familiarity with BAEC that led people to move their Avios over to BA instead of booking rewards through IB+. These aren't newbies, but people who have a reasonable understanding of the miles hobby.

Going forward, absolutely anybody who wants to fly IB but has a negative IB+ balance will simply use their BA account to earn miles. Not a single IB booking should be lost.
buschoi and ChocolateFactory like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You seem to lack a basic understanding of how Oneworld frequent flyer programmes or "Combine Your Avios" work.
Everything I know, I learnt here but I am usually a fast learner.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
You seem to lack a basic understanding of how Oneworld frequent flyer programmes or "Combine Your Avios" work. Those people who opened brand new IB+ accounts for this promo (or had old, mostly unused ones) and are now -90K ALMOST NEVER credited flights to IB+ but instead used BA, AA or some other Oneworld ffp. It is precisely this familiarity with BAEC that led people to move their Avios over to BA instead of booking rewards through IB+. These aren't newbies, but people who have a reasonable understanding of the miles hobby.

Going forward, absolutely anybody who wants to fly IB but has a negative IB+ balance will simply use their BA account to earn miles. Not a single IB booking should be lost.
We still don't know what impact the negative IB avios balance will have after BA and IB programs merge. If the 90k carries over, then booking with BA won't matter a damn. Unless you're going to create a new BA account.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:51 am

I'm avoiding Iberia simply because I don't like the airline or their customer service. This fiasco and their failed attempts to claw back the miles is just one example of their incompetence. I do not trust them to get me to my destination safely and on time.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by luckyjim
I'm avoiding Iberia simply because I don't like the airline or their customer service. This fiasco and their failed attempts to claw back the miles is just one example of their incompetence. I do not trust them to get me to my destination safely and on time.
Same. It was a nightmare to get the miles credited to my account. I sent countless emails, filed countless complaints with various organizations, until, nearly 2+ months after the fact, I got my miles. Then I quickly transferred to BA, and IB debited 90k from my account later on.

Iberia is dead to me but thanks for the miles chumps.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
After several exchanges on twitter my negative balance was reversed. So I guess IB is not that bad and can make smart choices eventually. I also had a great flight ORD-MAD in bus. The food was great (unlike what some other travelers reported), internet had an option to pay for the whole flight (about E30), not like previous reports per MB. I also spent a couple of days in Madrid, which is a great city. Overall, thank you IB for this promotion but you need to clean up your quirks because they are repelling many travelers from the good things about your program.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by flyersky1
After several exchanges on twitter my negative balance was reversed. So I guess IB is not that bad and can make smart choices eventually. I also had a great flight ORD-MAD in bus. The food was great (unlike what some other travelers reported), internet had an option to pay for the whole flight (about E30), not like previous reports per MB. I also spent a couple of days in Madrid, which is a great city. Overall, thank you IB for this promotion but you need to clean up your quirks because they are repelling many travelers from the good things about your program.
Hi, can you put the link to any of those twits? to take advantage and also request the same. Thank you
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Any recent experiences with changing dates on an Avios booking made with the 90k promo Avios only? I saw this post #131 by Sisyphus1carus about a booking made with promo as well as "regular" Avios. Anyone of you recently was able to change dates on a booking on which only promo Avios were used? Was is possible? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Booked through IB?
Yes, you can, but only if it’s a BA or IB flight.
And only date changes are possible, I don’t think you can change the routing for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.