Iberia Upgrade Question

Old Nov 28, 18, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, JAL
Iberia Upgrade Question

I've seen some flights that I'm considering buying and as there's a big difference between the different fare classes, I'm looking to buy economy and upgrade.
The flights are on BA metal (but Iberia codes, bookable on an OTA)
Can I upgrade these using either Iberia plus or BA avios. Which one?
And is it possible to upgrade online (automatically), or does it have to be done over the phone?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm not sure you can even upgrade codeshares.

You definitely can't upgrade IB7XXX flights using Iberia Avios. On Iberia metal, you'd have to book Y, B, H class in Economy for IB upgrades.

On BA metal, you'd have to book PE and upgrade using Avios if you want to fly in Business. I'm not sure whether BAEC will let you upgrade a BA flight booked under a non-BA code.
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Theoretically you can upgrade non-stop BA and AA operated flights on the JBA, IB marketed (IB4XXX). They have to be bought through IB channels: web or service center.

Upgrade process: this has to be done over the phone, AND importantly, your original booking has to be a flexible fare.

UPG CONDITIONS ON JBA:
  • Available for bookings made through Iberia direct channels, that is, web and call center, requests to be made through the Iberia Plus Call Centers according to tier level.
AA Y (Turista) J,D (Business)
BA Y,B (Turista) W (World traveler Plus) J,D,C (Business)
IB Y,B (Turista)
  • Booking class for Upgrade:
AA C (Business) A (First)
BA
P (World travel Plus) U (Business) Z (First)
IBU (Business)
  • It is not possible to have more than one upgrade for the same passenger and only to the next superior cabin.

Last edited by tobsw; Nov 29, 18 at 4:14 am
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
Theoretically you can upgrade BA and AA operated flights on the JBA, IB marketed. They have to be bought through IB channels: web or service center.

However, this has to be done over the phone, AND importantly, has to be a flexible fare.
Do you have a link for that? I was looking at the upgrades section of "How to Use Avios" and it clearly stated that IB7XXX can't be upgraded, although I'm not sure how many codeshares fall under the JBA.
Old Nov 29, 18, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. They are premium economy t, so I don't think I will be able to upgrade.
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne View Post
Thank you for your help. They are premium economy t, so I don't think I will be able to upgrade.
If you book as a BA code you would be able to upgrade.

It's worth contemplating if the fares are similar. Of course if BA is much more expensive, I would query whether the OTA is actually booking a PE seat for you or whether there's a glitch...
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Do you have a link for that? I was looking at the upgrades section of "How to Use Avios" and it clearly stated that IB7XXX can't be upgraded, although I'm not sure how many codeshares fall under the JBA.
JBA flight are IB4XXX. I've added that it has to be non-stop flights.

There is a lot of information on the Iberia Agencias website. It's not necessarily up to date on all topics, but it is a good reference.

I have never done an upgrade with Avios on IB Plus (essentially because it requires a flexible fare). However, the conditions stated above are a starting point (because it is a flexible fare, you can always cancel).
Old Nov 29, 18, 5:37 am
Original Poster

There's a 1k diff between ota and BA price.
ota has Iberia codes on BA metal.
It's not an amazing deal. It's 670 to West coast USA.
But as BA business is 1600 it's a reasonable saving for two people, especially as I have these extra avios on Iberia plus.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:36 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Just curious about the JBA flight numbers. I've got a reservation for BA286 SFO-LHR as IB7444. Would that not fall under the JBA?
Old Nov 30, 18, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist View Post
Just curious about the JBA flight numbers. I've got a reservation for BA286 SFO-LHR as IB7444. Would that not fall under the JBA?
Yeah. Seemed off to me, but I couldn't be bothered to look it up. I thought IB4XXX was Air Nostrum or something like that. 5XXX is vueling...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: