Wiki Posts
Search

Did Iberia increase award?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Did Iberia increase award?

I just booked all business class SFO-MAD on Oct 4 and then MAD-PVG Oct 16 and it cost me 110,500 avios and $200 tax.. These are off peak. It seems like they increased MAD-PVG? MAD-TYO was 59,500 but I guess PVG is now too. I called in but he said thats the price take it or leave it, he suggested I email customer care. I did, but shouldnt it be?

SFO-MAD 51,000 +$100 tax
MAD-PVG 51,000 +100 tax

Or am I wrong? I could be wrong
Appreciate any thoughts
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:22 pm

MAD-PVG is really close to 6500 mi, so I guess they consider it Band 8. Sometimes it works the other way. For instance, MAD-ORD is above 4000 mi, but it costs the same as MAD-JFK.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
MAD-PVG has been 59,500 off-peak each way in J for a couple of years now... I've booked it more than once.

What made you think it would be less? As Yllanes says the distance bands don't really apply to IB flights. ORD, SCL, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
MAD-PVG has been 59,500 off-peak each way in J for a couple of years now... I've booked it more than once.

What made you think it would be less? As Yllanes says the distance bands don't really apply to IB flights. ORD, SCL, etc.
Thanks Yllanes and craigthemif... I remember reading on blogs mad to Pvg was less the mad to tyo.. and I just doubled check they list it on blogsas cheaper. Huh.. maybe travel bloggers aren't always acruate. Lol screw it

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways-to-redeem-iberia-plus-avios/
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Thanks Yllanes and craigthemif... I remember reading on blogs mad to Pvg was less the mad to tyo.. and I just doubled check they list it on blogsas cheaper. Huh.. maybe travel bloggers aren't always acruate. Lol screw it

https://upgradedpoints.com/best-ways...ia-plus-avios/
I only know of 2 bloggers that are 99% accurate on IB+ - me and a Spanish / Argentine blogger who blogs in Spanish - because we're the ones who regularly use IB+ for our own travel, as opposed to pushing credit card signups... And there are maybe 5-10 Flyertalkers - Yllanes amongst them - who really know what they're talking about when it comes to IB+.

Let's face it... the IB+ website is a mess, customer service agents are often rude or don't have a clue, changes sometimes happen without notice... so it takes some effort to be accurate and up-to-date regarding IB+.
JfromTheBay, Mordac and Pupenergy like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I only know of 2 bloggers that are 99% accurate on IB+ - me and a Spanish / Argentine blogger who blogs in Spanish - because we're the ones who regularly use IB+ for our own travel, as opposed to pushing credit card signups... And there are maybe 5-10 Flyertalkers - Yllanes amongst them - who really know what they're talking about when it comes to IB+.

Let's face it... the IB+ website is a mess, customer service agents are often rude or don't have a clue, changes sometimes happen without notice... so it takes some effort to be accurate and up-to-date regarding IB+.
Yeah, it's worth remembering that the vast majority of people who are familiar with the program won't be on the English language internet. Might be able to get some reasonable responses on losviajeros, but in Spanish and that web design is something else.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Even though there are exceptions to the bands... the problem with Shanghai is that it is placed somewhere else in Iberia Plus virtual world map. If you have ever flown on a revenue flight, check how many Avios you have been awarded. There are issues also with redemptions on the HEL-PVG route (weird pricing), at least the last time I checked.

According to the website, on a revenue Y fare, you gain 6789 Avios (6-7-8-9 I'm not joking) - so they're placing Shanghai somewhere 400 miles further away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.