Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia Icon and Plata Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Iberia Icon and Plata Status

Hello,

I am wondering if any of you could answer a question I have about the Iberia Icon card I am considering getting. I note that it gives Silver / Plata status, but I am not sure if this means I will only need 1,150 Elite Points for Gold / Oro, or would I be starting from scratch?

The reason I am asking, is that I am about to restart some of my business travel, and as I will only being doing Madrid-London until US travel opens, I doubt I will get enough Tier Points to renew my BA Silver in the Summer, only Bronze. So it may be beneficial to Switch programs.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
ICON only gives you Plata. Nothing else, no flights segments or Puntos Elite.

You would need 2.250 PE or 50 flights to receive Oro.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
In addition, your plata membership is only good for one year. If I remember correctly, you need to spend over 10k in order to renew your plata status from the second year.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Seriously the Icon has to be the worst airline card ever. Plata is pretty much meaningless, no lounge access, no upgrades, just a few extra Avios that you can earn. The worst part is that the card only earns one Avio per 2€ spent. If you want perks, get an Amex platinum card which gives you a lot more (a real Amex, not the fake Iberia Sendo Amex if those are still around), though it does have a cost associated.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
As an earning card, it's not great - although if you time your purchases with special ICON promotions... you will get 1 Avios per euro spent. Amex is the best earning card, as you get 1.2 Avios per euro spent, as long as you transfer your MR points whenever there's a 20% bonus. But not everyone accepts Amex in Spain.

On the other hand, although Plata does not give you lounge access, Plata does give you 1 free luggage piece, even on Basic Economy fares. If you travel with Ib and need checked-in luggage, it can be quite lucrative. Same if you travel to the US with AA - and in this case - even on Basic Economy tickets you receive a free upgrade to MCE during check-in (if available), as long as you book via BA/IB/AY (if you do via AA, your fare will be E which cannot be upgraded to MCE).

But the value of ICON are the recurrent offers, especially the 50% off on redemptions on IB, including business. Around 3 times per year (Feb, May & Oct/Nov). Another hidden promo, are the Paradores promo, which allows you to book Paradores from just 8.000 Avios points per night.

Plus 10% discount on fares (any class) booked and travel on Ib Group airlines.

Notwithstanding the fact the "flexibility" you have when renewing your card. Call and threat them you will leave: they will offer you something back.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
A card in the US/UK/ etc. that offered a frequent 50% discount on J award tickets anywhere with reasonable award space (without being limited to spending miles earned only from the card) --> would rightly be the most popular credit card...

That said, some people care more about earning 50 points per $ or whatever because it sounds better, without realising that you need a million points for the flight / hotel stay.
tobsw and ubiest like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.