How to prepay baggage fee at Iberia.com

Old Sep 16, 18, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

How to prepay baggage fee at Iberia.com

I booked an Iberia flight BIO-MAD-BOS, economy class. I called Iberia and was told that there is charge for a check in bag. 85USD if prepaid online, and more if paid at the departure counter.

At Iberia.com "Manage your booking", these flights are shown as "Blue Class". There is a "I want more baggage" button under "Baggage in hold". Clicking that button got these error messages:

"Sorry, your session is in an invalid state ..."
"We are not able to compute the available services for this flight."

These flights are a month or so from now. Is it too early to prepay? Or is there a solution? Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 18, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Blue Class is a reward ticket and comes with one piece of checked luggage. Do you know what you booked?

If you have any kind of status with oneworld you'd get an extra piece.
Old Sep 17, 18, 7:34 am
Original Poster

I booked these flights at the AAdvantage site with miles, Economy MileSAAver class, and do not have any Oneworld status. I called AA about these flights, they said there is a checked baggage fee and asked me to contact Iberia for details. I called Iberia stating my booking number, and got the above answers.

There was no mention of Blue Class at the AAdvantage site. It is only listed under Class in my booking at Iberia.com. Is there a link for Blue Class and checked baggage? Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 18, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Problem solved.

I asked Iberia.com to send my itinerary via e-mail. The Baggage link (tiny) on the itinerary got me to this page:

https://www.iberia.com/es/luggage/al...aggages-search

After entering my flights' departure and arrival, dates, and purchase dates (but not the booking number), it is confirmed that the checked luggage is free. Rather convoluted :-)
Old Sep 17, 18, 10:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, SPG/MR Plat, IHG Plat
Most, if not all, Iberia award tickets are (at the moment at least) valid for regular economy, not "basic" economy, and so come with a piece of checked luggage.

Of course our American cousins have long been trained to not expect free checked luggage on economy tickets unless they sign up for the credit card...