Will IB interline bags?

Old Aug 30, 18, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Will IB interline bags?

Hi All,

I've got two tickets booked:
  • LIM - MAD
  • MAD - LHR
Both bookings are on Iberia but they are two seperate PNR's. The first flight is in J and the second in Y. I have about 90 mins between flights.
My question is what is Iberia's policy on interlining bags?
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:04 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Their policy is not to interline bags on separate bookings and I hope you can change your MAD-LHR flight or travel hand-baggage-only because I am afraid that connection is impossible if the first flight arrives on time. By the time you get your bag, drop off for MAD-LHR will have closed.
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if this is not interlining and is simply online IB-IB, it is on separate tickets (having nothing to do with PNR's) and thus, won't check the bags to LHR. I would also point to the risk of missing the second ticket and being stranded at MAD having to purchase a new ticket if there is any appreciable delay, even if one does not check bags.
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

I will have luggage and both tickets are on IB. I'll make the requisite changes.

This is quite frustrating.
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
I will have luggage and both tickets are on IB. I'll make the requisite changes.

This is quite frustrating.
Next time buy LIM-LHR or allow 5 hours connection time on separate tickets. It is your fault, not iberia's
Often1 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 343 View Post
Next time buy LIM-LHR or allow 5 hours connection time on separate tickets. It is your fault, not iberia's
OP has been a member since 2005, has 938 posts, and the topic of whether a given carrier will check bags across tickets has been discussed so many times that one would hope that a passenger would check this out before purchasing.
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 343 View Post
I can't fly directly to the UK from South America for reasons you are unaware of.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 31, 18 at 5:24 am Reason: Slightly moderating the tone used to avoid distraction
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:37 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
I can't fly directly to the UK from South America for reasons you are unaware of.
I think he is suggesting that you book LIM-MAD-LHR (or non-stop BA service if running). Obviously you should do a little research before purchasing your flights on separate tickets. 90 min is really not enough to deplane, passport control, shuttle to T4, baggage collection, and check-in for your LHR service. If you know MAD airport well, there's a ridiculous small window to succeed and manage it, but it is a BIG risk. Perhaps the rule of thumb should be from landing T4S to baggage collection, about 1h.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 31, 18 at 5:23 am Reason: Tone moderation in quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
90 minutes between these two flights is a setup for disappointment. I would allow at least four hours or be prepared to buy a flight to London on arrival. Your luggage will not be through-checked.
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:56 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
I think he is suggesting that you book LIM-MAD-LHR (or non-stop BA service if running). Obviously you should do a little research before purchasing your flights on separate tickets. 90 min is really not enough to deplane, passport control, shuttle to T4, baggage collection, and check-in for your LHR service. If you know MAD airport well, there's a ridiculous small window to succeed and manage it, but it is a BIG risk. Perhaps the rule of thumb should be from landing T4S to baggage collection, about 1h.
My two cents on the subject. Have done different PNRs and on arrival have gone to the airline’s customer service and they have collected my luggage get my boarding passes and new bag tags. Again not sure if it was due to luck and/or a combination of J F fares status (OW Emerald).

Old Aug 31, 18, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I have simply changed my second ticket to a later flight.

The theatrics in this thread are quite remarkable! My question was simply if IB would do it; seems they won't and I have subsequently planned accordingly.
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
No theatrics, just solid advice regarding the potential pitfalls of travelling on separate tickets.
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:35 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Not even potential in this case. The luggage from the LIM-MAD flight will likely appear on the belt 50 min or more after the doors of the plane open. By that time, the baggage drop off for LHR will have closed, no matter how well one knows MAD or how fast one moves.
Old Sep 2, 18, 3:29 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
Not even potential in this case. The luggage from the LIM-MAD flight will likely appear on the belt 50 min or more after the doors of the plane open. By that time, the baggage drop off for LHR will have closed, no matter how well one knows MAD or how fast one moves.
50 mins ... and that is if Madrid Customs dont decide to x-ray all bags looking for drugs. That happens fairly frequently ex Lima
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
50 mins ... and that is if Madrid Customs dont decide to x-ray all bags looking for drugs. That happens fairly frequently ex Lima
Or you get send to secondary immigration /customs control, which also happens quite frequently ex SA