Will IB interline bags?

Reply

Old Aug 30, 18, 8:07 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 951
Will IB interline bags?

Hi All,

I've got two tickets booked:
  • LIM - MAD
  • MAD - LHR
Both bookings are on Iberia but they are two seperate PNR's. The first flight is in J and the second in Y. I have about 90 mins between flights.
My question is what is Iberia's policy on interlining bags?
747-444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:04 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,075
Their policy is not to interline bags on separate bookings and I hope you can change your MAD-LHR flight or travel hand-baggage-only because I am afraid that connection is impossible if the first flight arrives on time. By the time you get your bag, drop off for MAD-LHR will have closed.
Yllanes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 9:09 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,592
Even if this is not interlining and is simply online IB-IB, it is on separate tickets (having nothing to do with PNR's) and thus, won't check the bags to LHR. I would also point to the risk of missing the second ticket and being stranded at MAD having to purchase a new ticket if there is any appreciable delay, even if one does not check bags.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 12:02 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 951
I will have luggage and both tickets are on IB. I'll make the requisite changes.

This is quite frustrating.
747-444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:06 pm
  #5  
343
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
I will have luggage and both tickets are on IB. I'll make the requisite changes.

This is quite frustrating.
Next time buy LIM-LHR or allow 5 hours connection time on separate tickets. It is your fault, not iberia's
Often1 likes this.
343 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 18, 2:55 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 40,592
Originally Posted by 343 View Post
Next time buy LIM-LHR or allow 5 hours connection time on separate tickets. It is your fault, not iberia's
OP has been a member since 2005, has 938 posts, and the topic of whether a given carrier will check bags across tickets has been discussed so many times that one would hope that a passenger would check this out before purchasing.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:21 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by 343 View Post
Next time buy LIM-LHR or allow 5 hours connection time on separate tickets. It is your fault, not iberia's
I can't fly directly to the UK from South America for reasons you are unaware of.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 31, 18 at 5:24 am Reason: Slightly moderating the tone used to avoid distraction
747-444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:37 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by 747-444 View Post
I can't fly directly to the UK from South America for reasons you are unaware of.
I think he is suggesting that you book LIM-MAD-LHR (or non-stop BA service if running). Obviously you should do a little research before purchasing your flights on separate tickets. 90 min is really not enough to deplane, passport control, shuttle to T4, baggage collection, and check-in for your LHR service. If you know MAD airport well, there's a ridiculous small window to succeed and manage it, but it is a BIG risk. Perhaps the rule of thumb should be from landing T4S to baggage collection, about 1h.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Aug 31, 18 at 5:23 am Reason: Tone moderation in quote
tobsw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:44 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,075
90 minutes between these two flights is a setup for disappointment. I would allow at least four hours or be prepared to buy a flight to London on arrival. Your luggage will not be through-checked.
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 1:56 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barcelona
Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by tobsw View Post
I think he is suggesting that you book LIM-MAD-LHR (or non-stop BA service if running). Obviously you should do a little research before purchasing your flights on separate tickets. 90 min is really not enough to deplane, passport control, shuttle to T4, baggage collection, and check-in for your LHR service. If you know MAD airport well, there's a ridiculous small window to succeed and manage it, but it is a BIG risk. Perhaps the rule of thumb should be from landing T4S to baggage collection, about 1h.
My two cents on the subject. Have done different PNRs and on arrival have gone to the airline’s customer service and they have collected my luggage get my boarding passes and new bag tags. Again not sure if it was due to luck and/or a combination of J F fares status (OW Emerald).

jcelio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:45 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 951
I have simply changed my second ticket to a later flight.

The theatrics in this thread are quite remarkable! My question was simply if IB would do it; seems they won't and I have subsequently planned accordingly.
747-444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 2:47 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,075
No theatrics, just solid advice regarding the potential pitfalls of travelling on separate tickets.
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 18, 6:35 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 1,075
Not even potential in this case. The luggage from the LIM-MAD flight will likely appear on the belt 50 min or more after the doors of the plane open. By that time, the baggage drop off for LHR will have closed, no matter how well one knows MAD or how fast one moves.
Yllanes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 18, 3:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Somewhere between EZE , MAD and GLA
Programs: IB , BA , AA , AV
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
Not even potential in this case. The luggage from the LIM-MAD flight will likely appear on the belt 50 min or more after the doors of the plane open. By that time, the baggage drop off for LHR will have closed, no matter how well one knows MAD or how fast one moves.
50 mins ... and that is if Madrid Customs dont decide to x-ray all bags looking for drugs. That happens fairly frequently ex Lima
malagajohn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 18, 11:50 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by malagajohn View Post
50 mins ... and that is if Madrid Customs dont decide to x-ray all bags looking for drugs. That happens fairly frequently ex Lima
Or you get send to secondary immigration /customs control, which also happens quite frequently ex SA
schrodingerdog is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread