Wiki Posts
Search

Different Avios required in IB and BA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott
Different Avios required in IB and BA

I'm trying to check the availability of reward tickets these days from london to beijing (LHR-PEK)
It's strange that IB charged 102000 for Off peak first class, but BA just charged 85000. I guess this is due to some errors but customer service in UK is really helpless...
Is there any other solution without paying additional 200 pounds for the difference(--)

Many thanks///
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk vinLBJcent.

Usually BA's redemptions on IB are the same number of Avios as BA on BA, it's the partner airlines where there can be significant differences. However what we have seen is that there seems to be a bug by which IB measures distances from MAD rather than LHR and therefore tips places into the wrong zone. In this case MAD is 700 miles more due to the earth's curvature and therefore it's just into Zone 7, whereas LHR-PEK is actually comfortably into Zone 6. I'm not sure ringing up will help, but it's always good to have data points from those who have tried.

I did look at LHR0-GIG,. where the numbers are almost precisely reversed, to see if IB is cheaper, unfortunately it isn't.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk vinLBJcent.

Usually BA's redemptions on IB are the same number of Avios as BA on BA, it's the partner airlines where there can be significant differences. However what we have seen is that there seems to be a bug by which IB measures distances from MAD rather than LHR and therefore tips places into the wrong zone. In this case MAD is 700 miles more due to the earth's curvature and therefore it's just into Zone 7, whereas LHR-PEK is actually comfortably into Zone 6. I'm not sure ringing up will help, but it's always good to have data points from those who have tried.

I did look at LHR0-GIG,. where the numbers are almost precisely reversed, to see if IB is cheaper, unfortunately it isn't.
Thanks for your assistance and I will try to contact customer service again and help them fix it if possible...
I hate IB customer service and IT. It was a good chance to use 90k bonus for me-=-
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vinLBJcent
Thanks for your assistance and I will try to contact customer service again and help them fix it if possible...
I hate IB customer service and IT. It was a good chance to use 90k bonus for me-=-
Are you able to transfer your IB Plus Avios to your BAEC account?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you able to transfer your IB Plus Avios to your BAEC account?
No. I was told that the account should be created at least three month before the transfer.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by vinLBJcent
No. I was told that the account should be created at least three month before the transfer.
This is correct, so if you created your Iberia Plus account around the end of June when the promo ran (worst case scenario) you will be able to transfer them out around the end of September, in time for the 1st Dec deadline.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by fireanwater1
This is correct, so if you created your Iberia Plus account around the end of June when the promo ran (worst case scenario) you will be able to transfer them out around the end of September, in time for the 1st Dec deadline.
would you know if you have to have the BA account open for 3 months to be able to receive avios, or do you just have to have the Iberia account open to be able to send?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Amex Platinum
I do believe that the restriction is just based on when the Iberia account was opened, not 100% on this though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.