Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus

Is it legal for an agent to make up a carrier charge on a BA flight where BA doesn't?

Is it legal for an agent to make up a carrier charge on a BA flight where BA doesn't?

Old Aug 6, 18, 6:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Cool Is it legal for an agent to "create" a Carrier Charge out of nowhere

Is it legal for an agent to create a carrier charge of say EUR 224.41 for a flights from HKG to LHR that the airline actually providing the flight doesn't charge?
Seems like a form of fraud, a bit like making up what the Taxes component of a fare would be.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:31 pm
  #2  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,867
what were the specifics of what you were trying to book?
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:38 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
what were the specifics of what you were trying to book?
Its a First Class ticket on BA28 HKG-LHR
The charges charged by the agent are as follows:
​​​​​​Carrier charges /Cargos del operador EUR 224.41
Taxes and duty /Tasas e Impuestos EUR 37.52
Price /PrecioEUR 00.00
Price and form of payment /Precio total a paga EUR 261.93

The charges and Taxes that BA actually charges for this flight are as follows:
Carrier charges EUR 00.00
Taxes and duty EUR 38.00
Price EUR 00.00
Price and form of payment EUR 38.00
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:42 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Posts: 32,196
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton View Post
Its a First Class ticket on BA28 HKG-LHR
The charges charged by the agent are as follows:
​​​​​​Carrier charges /Cargos del operador EUR 224.41
Taxes and duty /Tasas e Impuestos EUR 37.52
Price /PrecioEUR 00.00
Price and form of payment /Precio total a paga EUR 261.93

The charges and Taxes that BA actually charges for this flight are as follows:
Carrier charges EUR 00.00
Taxes and duty EUR 38.00
Price EUR 00.00
Price and form of payment EUR 38.00
I’ll take a €38 F fare, HKG-LHR. Even the €261.93 isn’t bad.

Jaimito Cartero is online now  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:45 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
I thought it maybe of interest to BA flyers that sometimes they need to be wary of dealing with some other Avios partners. Also input from BA officialdom would be welcomed.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:46 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I’ll take a €38 F fare, HKG-LHR. Even the €261.93 isn’t bad.

Sorry the post only included the actual carrier charges and taxes, the flight also cost 120,000 Avios which is the same number of Avios BA charges for that flight.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:47 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Posts: 13,352
If you want help then you really need to give accurate information, Is this a BA agent or an IB agent?

I assume this is a reward flight so are you using IB avios or BA avios?

carrier charges aren't government taxes which are virtually the same in your list of charges.
UKtravelbear is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:49 pm
  #8  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,867
What input are you looking for apart from it doesn’t appear right?

There are already a few posts on the IB forum of apparently incorrect carrier surcharges being incurred for reward flights booked via IB. Certainly something to take up with IB.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:51 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
If you want help then you really need to give accurate information, Is this a BA agent or an IB agent?

I assume this is a reward flight so are you using IB avios or BA avios?

carrier charges aren't government taxes which are virtually the same in your list of charges.
Sorry I'm using the term agent in respect of a commercial arrangement between BA and IB to sell flights on their behalf. Carrier charges probably are something legally defined by the carrier not by the selling agent.
BA Avios and IB Avios would seem to be fully transferrable, so have the same intrinsic value.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 6:54 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
What input are you looking for apart from it doesn’t appear right?

There are already a few posts on the IB forum of apparently incorrect carrier surcharges being incurred for reward flights booked via IB. Certainly something to take up with IB.
Thanks, yes I'm trying to take it up with IB but you'd be aware their customer service is quite adept at putting up stone walls.
I was hopeful of perhaps alerting others that carrier charges seem to be treated quite loosely by some parties, when it would seem to be a charge directly passed through form the carrier to the selling agent.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:01 pm
  #11  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 37,867
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton View Post
Thanks, yes I'm trying to take it up with IB but you'd be aware their customer service is quite adept at putting up stone walls.
I was hopeful of perhaps alerting others that carrier charges seem to be treated quite loosely by some parties, when it would seem to be a charge directly passed through form the carrier to the selling agent.
this seems to be an issue also for carriers other than BA when booking rewards with IB so I am not sure this is being passed from the operating carrier to IB, I think it it more a case of IB being generally hopeless.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 6, 18, 7:05 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post


this seems to be an issue also for carriers other than BA when booking rewards with IB so I am not sure this is being passed from the operating carrier to IB, I think it it more a case of IB being generally hopeless.
Yes, hopeless and yet very good at pushing away any polite requests for review by customers. In this case it seems that they are deliberately creating a charge and mislabelling it because they can get away with it.
relaxonbarton is offline  
Old Aug 7, 18, 6:07 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 11,003
I think you'll find that a frequent flyer programme can charge whatever they want for reward seats. (or not charge anything at all) Consumer protection authorities care about transparency during the booking process, not to delve into the details of a membership programme that you are free to avoid.

SO, as long as it's not BA imposing the charge, there's little for the HKG authorities to do.

P.S. It won't be the agent making up a carrier charge, but IB+ policy.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:13 am
  #14  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 56,664
The issue here, as I understand it, is that Brazil and Hong Kong have consumer protections on frequent flyer programs with inhibit the use of carrier surcharges on redemption flights from these locations. Iberia still charges these carrier surcharges, BA doesn't. Now it may be that legally Iberia is beyond the scope of the SAR authorities, whereas BA, a key operator at HKG, perhaps is not. My suggestion would be to either use BA for these bookings, alternatively pay IB's charge and then complain via the various channels open to you to see if you get it refunded.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Aug 7, 18, 3:06 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: JAX
Programs: Former BA/AA/CP/LY employee, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 3,290
The YQ being charged is the same amount that applies to a revenue booking, so the amount isn't 'made up' but comes from the F class fare quote for the itinerary - the fare has been zeroed of course, but the YQ hasn't. Whether it should be removed by IB or not isn't clear.

F class fare quote in EUR:
Code:
FXX/R,MAD.MAD

01 P1

LAST TKT DTE 18AUG18/23:59 LT in POS - SEE ADV PURCHASE
------------------------------------------------------------
     AL FLGT  BK   DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
 HKG
 LON BA    28 F    19AUG 2345  FNNF00S0                   3P

HKD    82510      19AUG18HKG BA LON Q10.00 10505.03FNNF00S0
EUR  9091.00      NUC10515.03END ROE7.846716
EUR   227.40-YQ   XT EUR 19.84-G3 EUR 4.96-I5
EUR    13.23-HK
EUR    24.80-XT
EUR  9356.43
RATE USED 1HKD=0.110176EUR
JAXBA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread