Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for an agent to make up a carrier charge on a BA flight where BA doesn't?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal for an agent to make up a carrier charge on a BA flight where BA doesn't?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Originally Posted by JAXBA
The YQ being charged is the same amount that applies to a revenue booking, so the amount isn't 'made up' but comes from the F class fare quote for the itinerary - the fare has been zeroed of course, but the YQ hasn't. Whether it should be removed by IB or not isn't clear.

F class fare quote in EUR:
Code:
FXX/R,MAD.MAD

01 P1

LAST TKT DTE 18AUG18/23:59 LT in POS - SEE ADV PURCHASE
------------------------------------------------------------
     AL FLGT  BK   DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
 HKG
 LON BA    28 F    19AUG 2345  FNNF00S0                   3P

HKD    82510      19AUG18HKG BA LON Q10.00 10505.03FNNF00S0
EUR  9091.00      NUC10515.03END ROE7.846716
EUR   227.40-YQ   XT EUR 19.84-G3 EUR 4.96-I5
EUR    13.23-HK
EUR    24.80-XT
EUR  9356.43
RATE USED 1HKD=0.110176EUR
Not sure where you got your quote but when I do the same quote on BA's own site, the YQ as shown in the breakdown of the taxes and fees from the quote is 0.00

So unless the various selling agencies are bypassing the Hong Kong laws which BA themselves are abiding by, what is the explanation?

​​​​​​

Charges applied to your flight

There are certain taxes, fees and carrier charges that are applied to your booking by British Airways, airport operators, governments or other authorities. Here you will find a full breakdown and explanation of the taxes, fees and carrier charges applied to your booking.

Government, authority and airport charges

Air Passenger Departure Tax - Hong Kong

Per adultHKD 120.00

G3RE

Per adultHKD 180.00

I5SE

Per adultHKD 45.00

Total government, authority and airport charges*More information

Per adultHKD 345.00

British Airways fees and carrier charges

Total British Airways fees and carrier charges

Per adultHKD 0.00

Total taxes, fees, carrier imposed charges or fuel surcharge, where applicable, per person

Per adultHKD 345.00

*Government and/or airport taxes are refundable, however some countries will apply a Value Added Tax, Sales Tax or equivalent, which will only be refunded on fully flexible tickets.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
Not sure where you got your quote but when I do the same quote on BA's own site, the YQ as shown in the breakdown of the taxes and fees from the quote is 0.00
Ah, okay, it seems that if sold/ticketed in HKG, then no YQ is quoted/applied. The quote I got in EUR was as if sold/tktd in MAD, which is presumably how IB is pricing it. (quote is from Amadeus)

The equivalent F class quote in HKD has no YQ:

Code:
FXX/R,HKG.HKG

01 P1

LAST TKT DTE 18AUG18/23:59 LT in POS - SEE ADV PURCHASE
------------------------------------------------------------
     AL FLGT  BK   DATE  TIME  FARE BASIS      NVB  NVA   BG
 HKG
 LON BA    28 F    19AUG 2345  FNNF00S0                   3P

HKD    82430      19AUG18HKG BA LON10505.03FNNF00S0 NUC
                  10505.03END ROE7.846716
HKD      120-HK
HKD      180-G3
HKD       45-I5
HKD    82775
This means BA has filed the revenue fare to quote with no surcharge when sold in HKG, but with a surcharge outside of HKG. They then remove the surcharge for their own redemptions.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

It appears this exact same issue was discussed in 2015 in relation to BA Executive Club overcharging carrier Fees for flights originating from HKG for a number of carriers. At that time it appears that the Honk Kong CAD was advised of the mischarging by BAEC which resulted in Avios awards from BAEC being correctly charged the limited YQ.

Does British Airways Executive Club overcharge Fuel surcharge on flight from HKG?

Somehow IB+ have escaped this net for all this time, probably because anyone with Avios would have moved them to BAEC to make their redemption except in this strange situation where some Avios in IB+ are no longer transferrable. As JAXBA has shown, it appears that travel agencies pricing through Amadeus is not showing the HK CAD approved YQ for some reason. So does this mean that any Airline that does not have flights departing HKD, their associated FF program would be using this Amadeus pricing which doesn't take into account HK CAD regulations?

Last edited by relaxonbarton; Aug 7, 2018 at 6:32 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

It also appears that Gary Leff from the View from the Wing blog reported on AAdvantage doing the exact same thing last year. (i.e. overcharging YQ on award bookings of BA flights departing HKG) After he raised it with AA they refunded the difference between Hong Kong's CAD maximum Fuel Surcharge and the amount charged on the award.

​​​​​​https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...award-tickets/

This seems to be one of those issues that if not chased down with each individual program they will just abuse member's trust and charge them a surcharge that is not legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.