Avios calculation is not right

Old Aug 2, 18, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P
Avios calculation is not right

MAD to PVG is 6394 miles, and the avios redemption for the flight in economy should be 25,500 in the off peak and $30,000 in the peak period. However, Iberia.com quoted me a band up for MAD to PVG should be 29,750 and 35,000 respectively. Any advice? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 18, 11:04 am

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Same happens for partners, Finnar flights to Asia based on the Calculation, would be 28 rt, but it is expensive.
Old Aug 3, 18, 3:25 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver, HH Diamond
One of the funny things of Iberia Plus is that they publish bands but then state that certain cities belong to other bands, not those according to their distance. If you check the IB redemption chart (https://www.iberia.com/web/webPartne...&idPartner=712) you will get clarity:

- This Avios redemption table has exceptions, which means that not every flight with a distance corresponding to a band, is included in the mentioned band
- Band 8: Tokio, Shanghai.
So instead of paying the Avios for band 7, you have to pay according to band 8
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Iberia flights are based on bands, not distance.

You win some (i.e. Chicago) and you lose some (i.e. Shanghai)
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:37 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Anyone know why JFK-MAD R/T in business is priced at 84,000 Avios + taxes/fees? Shouldn't it be 68,000 (34K each way) Avios during off-peak season from NY?

​​​​​​​
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Anyone know why JFK-MAD R/T in business is priced at 84,000 Avios + taxes/fees? Shouldn't it be 68,000 (34K each way) Avios during off-peak season from NY?

​​​​​​​
You undoubtedly picked dates where one was off-peak (34K) and one was peak (50K).
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:42 am

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You undoubtedly picked dates where one was off-peak (34K) and one was peak (50K).
Thanks!

Both outbound and return would be March 2019. I had thought the peak season would start as of April 1 in 2019.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Both outbound and return would be March 2019. I had thought the peak season would start as of April 1 in 2019.
The "Using My Avios" page gives the relevant peak dates, which are closely aligned to Spanish school holidays. 15, 16 and 19 March are peak days, the last is St Joseph Day. which is a regional holy day and Father's Day.
Old Aug 5, 18, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The "Using My Avios" page gives the relevant peak dates, which are closely aligned to Spanish school holidays. 15, 16 and 19 March are peak days, the last is St Joseph Day. which is a regional holy day and Father's Day.
Got it - thanks for the insight!