Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:00 pm

I would like to transfer the promotional avios from Iberia to BA (and use them up before Dec 1). But I don't like the idea of having -90,000 miles in Iberia. I have a decent chunk of BA avios, I don't want them to claw back 90,000 avios from my BA account when the programs merge.

Any one know when IAG is planning to merge BA and Iberia Avios? If it's a year or so away, I can probably use up all my BA avios by that time.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:36 am

What's the chance of IB clawing back the avios thru BA by cancelling the tickets issued by BA?

In a pretty bad position now coz I foolishly believed the bloggers- my IB+ and BAEC account address doesn't match so I had to change the address on BAEC side to match it- caused my BAEC account to be locked now likely can't revert it back to match IB+ so can't transfer it back to BA
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravels
Iberia is apparently now allowing us to transfer to BA. What would be the point of Iberia allowing us to transfer the Avios to BA if we couldn't use them there? Why would they allow it? I did not read any prohibition against transferring them to BA and using them by Dec 1 in the original terms. Makes no sense at all.
You do realize that thousands of people do have Iberia avios but did not take advantage of the promo right? With this, I can transfer my existing pool of avios to BA if I wish. Iberia has made it crystal clear that promotional avios are meant to be use only on the Iberia avios program.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
They would debit your account immediately if it was an unauthorized transfer of promotional avios Transferring them doesn't count as a redemption. Transferring them and using them on BAEC by Dec 1 does.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by petey2428
You do realize that thousands of people do have Iberia avios but did not take advantage of the promo right? With this, I can transfer my existing pool of avios to BA if I wish. Iberia has made it crystal clear that promotional avios are meant to be use only on the Iberia avios program.
There are quite a few people on Flyertalk who choose to believe otherwise. As with current political discourse in a variety of countries, pointing out their error simply causes them to believe their original belief even more strongly...
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:34 am

Transferring them doesn't count as a redemption. Transferring them and using them on BAEC by Dec 1 does.
This is the official statement from Iberia.

Transferred Avios won’t be considered as a redemption. On the 1st of December, the Avios obtained through this promotion, which haven’t been redeemed in the Iberia Plus account by that date, will be discounted from the Iberia Plus accounts. This could lead to a negative Avios balance in those Iberia Plus accounts from where Avios have been transferred.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:07 am

Cool

They would debit your account immediately if it was an unauthorized transfer of promotional avios Transferring them doesn't count as a redemption. Transferring them and using them on BAEC by Dec 1 does.
If you believe so, you should do what you think is right! *grabs popcorn*

Separately, with so much entitlement in this forum, I just can't wait to see how this promo ends up. I've always believed that Iberia had meant to honor this promo, and the backlash wasn't justified. The promo was generous, and the waiting period was relatively quick (2 weeks for old accounts. a month for new accounts). Yes communication could be better, but this is Iberia, you should know how they are before getting in this deal and logistically they're not staffed enough for a floodgate of new accounts. The end date of November 31st instead of December 31st makes me think that BA and IB avios are going to merge in December. I read somewhere a couple of months ago that the initial merge date was supposed to be in the middle of 2018, so I guess they're pushing it back. I actually really like Iberia even before this promo. 34k from ORD to MAD in J with consistent availability is probably the best use of airline miles anywhere now.

Last edited by petey2428; Aug 5, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kuMAAr
This is the official statement from Iberia.

Transferred Avios won’t be considered as a redemption. On the 1st of December, the Avios obtained through this promotion, which haven’t been redeemed in the Iberia Plus account by that date, will be discounted from the Iberia Plus accounts. This could lead to a negative Avios balance in those Iberia Plus accounts from where Avios have been transferred.
The bolded section of Iberia's official statement makes it seem quite clear: points transferred to BAEC and redeemed through BAEC prior to 12/1 will not count as a redemption because the redemption must occur from the Iberia Plus account and the transfer to BAEC alone is not enough to qualify as a redemption.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Originally Posted by petey2428
If you believe so, you should do what you think is right! *grabs popcorn*

Separately, with so much entitlement in this forum, I just can't wait to see how this promo ends up. I've always believed that Iberia had meant to honor this promo, and the backlash wasn't justified. The promo was generous, and the waiting period was relatively quick (2 weeks for old accounts. a month for new accounts). Yes communication could be better, but this is Iberia, you should know how they are before getting in this deal and logistically they're not staffed enough for a floodgate of new accounts. The end date of November 31st instead of December 31st makes me think that BA and IB avios are going to merge in December. I read somewhere a couple of months ago that the initial merge date was supposed to be in the middle of 2018, so I guess they're pushing it back. I actually really like Iberia even before this promo. 34k from ORD to MAD in J with consistent availability is probably the best use of airline miles anywhere now.
The change in terms terms that you speak of were never part of the original terms and conditions. There has been no official change to any of those terms.

Yes, I agree that is an attempt to salvage what is left of an otherwise botched program.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by craigthemif
There are quite a few people on Flyertalk who choose to believe otherwise. As with current political discourse in a variety of countries, pointing out their error simply causes them to believe their original belief even more strongly...
As to whether Iberia will deduct 90K from my BAEC account, I'll beleive it when I see it. For now, the Avios are more useful and safer sitting in my BAEC account.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 9:41 am

i have a new account with 90k avios, is there any way to transfer to ba or only way is to wait 90 days?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just FYI, on some routes, one-way partner awards are available.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ralph55user
i have a new account with 90k avios, is there any way to transfer to ba or only way is to wait 90 days?
I was just about to ask the same question...I set up my account for the promo, now have the 90k and now want to get them over to BA!

Is it a simple case of waiting 90 days?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER

I was just about to ask the same question...I set up my account for the promo, now have the 90k and now want to get them over to BA!

Is it a simple case of waiting 90 days?
yes.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:55 am

thanks, and i assume you would need to have a BA and avios.com account open for 90 days too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.