Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by fireanwater1
I used 68k of my avios on 2x MAD-JFK in business, so 22k left. I then added 18k from Amex MR for another set of flights, however now decided just to pay the cash price as it is much better value and not use these. So I now have 40k avios in my Iberia account and not too sure how to salvage them.

My ideal strategy would be to transfer all 40k out to the BAEC, however I am concerned about these being deducted at a later date, either from my empty Iberia account or when the avios programmes merge.

So my next option is to use ~22k avios on a hotel and then transfer out the 18k remainder. Only question is, what priority do the promotional avios take? Will they allocate my 18k avios originating from Amex MR first, and add on 4k from the promo? Or will it be done the other way round?
I wouldn't expect Iberia's IT to be sophisticated enough to keep track of which Avios are promotional and which are not.

My guess is that they gave you 90.000 Avios and will then look at your spend between the promotion and December 1st. If the spend is below 90.000 they will deduct accordingly and if 90.000 or above they will not do any adjustments.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I am having trouble finding ANY availability on CX and QF flights, and the odd BA OW flights but every flight search that I want says that the flights are not available, or does not fly. I don't seem to be able to transfer IB to BA either. My email is the same but the addresses are different but I can't seem to get around that. It asks me to call... Of course its easier for me to just transfer the miles because on ba.com, the flights that I want are all available. Not on IB. Would changing addresses to match my ba account help I wonder?
If BA shows the flights as available, they probably are, so if it was me, I'd call Iberia Plus in Madrid (using Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.) and have them book it. I don't know how much the telephone surcharge is for having them book it, but maybe the agent will waive it since IB web site doesn't show the flights, and even if not, it can't be that much and seems worth it to grab the flights you want.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Is it generally easy to book awards that require a phone call (JL)? I'm wondering if it would be easier/cheaper to just transfer to BA and book online than call IB (and I'd also save 12,000 Avios by transfering, too).
Guy Betsy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by anabolism
If BA shows the flights as available, they probably are, so if it was me, I'd call Iberia Plus in Madrid (using Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.) and have them book it. I don't know how much the telephone surcharge is for having them book it, but maybe the agent will waive it since IB web site doesn't show the flights, and even if not, it can't be that much and seems worth it to grab the flights you want.
Honestly I think I'd rather just transfer the points over to ba. IB's website is just so wonky. I keep trying to change my email address and the website just keeps going round and round insisting that there must not be any blanks - I can't see any. I cannot book any flights on Qantas, Cathay Pacific or BA. It tells me that there are no flights between London and Amsterdam.

I have the number 901-201-214. Which country is this? Spain?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:44 pm

Took the risk and transferred 90k avios from IB->BA, then redeemed them for AA flights from west coast US to Hawaii. The roundtrip cost was 25k avios on BA and 42k on IB, so clearly better to transfer.

Well see what happens on Dec 1, but as of now the flights are ticketed and confirmed.

Last edited by capitolm94; Sep 17, 2018 at 4:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Originally Posted by capitolm94
Took the risk and transferred 90k avios from IB->BA, then redeemed them for AA flights from west coast US to Hawaii. The roundtrip cost was 25k avios on BA and 42k on IB, so clearly better to transfer.

Well see what happens on Dec 1, but as of now the flights are ticketed and confirmed.
I'll do it as well.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So i created two Iberia accounts for me and my friends when the promo started. And today those accounts finally turned 90 days old. But upon trying to move Avios to BA. They both log in well on either Iberia or BA transfer webpage but at the last comfirmation step it says combine my Avios is not available :-/

Last edited by pl840502; Sep 22, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Combined accounts today, 90 days old.
Cannot transfer from IB->BA, just the other way
Old Sep 22, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Can anyone help me figure out how to transfer IB to BA? Here's the story:

2x IB accounts with ~95k Avios each
1 household BA account with 0 Avios

All open >90 days and my end goal is to transfer the 190k from both IB to my BA household account.

It doesn't appear you can easily transfer IB->BA when it's a household account, and everything I read points me to create a Avios account as an intermediary, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that? The join page only links to partner accounts.

Thank you!!!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

All open >90 days and my end goal is to transfer the 190k from both IB to my BA household account.

It doesn't appear you can easily transfer IB->BA when it's a household account, and everything I read points me to create a Avios account as an intermediary, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that? The join page only links to partner accounts.

Thank you!!!
I believe (no expert here!) that if you open an Aer Club account with Aer Lingus, this works exactly the same was as a generic Avios account and you can then move the points from IB to Aer Club, and on to BA from there.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

Thank you!!!
Maybe this website will help you? Not sure though but worth a try. I'm going to transfer my Avios from Iberia to BA in a few more weeks when my accounts reach 91 days.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...itish-airways/
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Travelin_the_world
Maybe this website will help you? Not sure though but worth a try. I'm going to transfer my Avios from Iberia to BA in a few more weeks when my accounts reach 91 days.
https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...itish-airways/
Ok so I figured it out, maybe this will help others who have more then one IB account:

Your IB accounts need to be open for 91 days. At this point, everyone from the promo should have met that requirement.

Your BA account does not need to be open for 91 days, so if its a fresh account you can transfer from IB -> BA

You cannot transfer from IB to a BA Household account. I had to remove my wife from my household account, which then effectively made my account plain vanilla again. She was only on my account for about a month, but I ran into no issues when trying to remove her.

I was then able to initiate 2x IB->BA transfers from both of our IB accounts to our separate BA accounts. I then re-created the household account and now we have a pooled balance of around 190k ^
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You can only join a household account once every 6 months or so. Instead of dissolving the household account, it’s better to create an Avios.com account by signing up for an Aer Lingus account, and then use that as an intermediary (IB -> Avios.com -> BA).
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You can only join a household account once every 6 months or so. Instead of dissolving the household account, it’s better to create an Avios.com account by signing up for an Aer Lingus account, and then use that as an intermediary (IB -> Avios.com -> BA).
That's what I thought was going to happen, but I was able to dissolve my account, and the recreate it with the same person all within the span of about a week. Maybe I got lucky but it definitely worked.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I believe you that it worked, but I'm not sure about the rules. Could be that it was allowed in this case, but I would assume that it either was a glitch or that you won't be able to join another household account for some time.
I would rather play it safe and go the Avios.com route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.