Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Iberia said in writing all along that your IB account will go negative 90k on 1st December if you move them to BA. What the consequences are we don ‘t know.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Originally Posted by gt_croz
Do we have any data around if the transfer of the promotional miles from IB to BA circumvents the December 1 expiration policy? The whole "what happens to the miles on Dec 1" feels a bit nebulous still. I don't know if it's possible for them to submit a negative 90k transfer to BA through the Avios program or if by getting them out the miles have effectively been sequestered at that point.
That's my biggest question right now.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Iberia said in writing all along that your IB account will go negative 90k on 1st December if you move them to BA. What the consequences are we don ‘t know.
I don't understand. If now the authorized to transfer avios to BAEC, then this action might not sound good or actually make not sense at all. This is confuse. How can they permit Avios transfer as it was not in the T&C, but later negative an account?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It is very clear from the overall T&Cs of Iberia Plus and British Airways Executive Club that "Combine Your Avios" is not a qualifying activity and is not "spending Avios". The fact that the promotional T&Cs may or may not have excluded CMA, doesn't mean by omission that CMA is now considered a qualifying use of Avios. .
I think you're confusing 2 different issues: 1 is transfering avios, the other is using avios. The T&Cs allowed the USE of avios (redeeming - be it on tickets or hotels or whatever partner IP has) until the 1st of Deceber, after which they will expire whether they're in my IP account or transfered to my BAEC account.
The other issue is transfering to BAEC, which was not forbidden in the T&Cs.
So if I transfer my 90k avios to BAEC and redeem them there until Dec 1st that should not pose any problem or risk to any of my accounts (IP or BAEC).
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by broland
I think you're confusing 2 different issues: 1 is transfering avios, the other is using avios. The T&Cs allowed the USE of avios (redeeming - be it on tickets or hotels or whatever partner IP has) until the 1st of Deceber, after which they will expire whether they're in my IP account or transfered to my BAEC account.
The other issue is transfering to BAEC, which was not forbidden in the T&Cs.
So if I transfer my 90k avios to BAEC and redeem them there until Dec 1st that should not pose any problem or risk to any of my accounts (IP or BAEC).
I am not confusing anything. You are now able to move your 90k avios to BAEC. Enjoy.

If you believe that redeeming Avios via BAEC is 100% exactly the same thing as redeeming Avios via Iberia Plus under the T&Cs of an Iberia Plus promotion, even though the two programmes are completely separate and are only linked by CMA, then I look forward to hearing back in December about how that went for you...
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:46 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by twilson1995
whats the newspaper its going to be in?
One Mile at a Time pointed out that the restriction appeared to be lifted. Raffles says this is Iberia getting out ahead of a story coming out in Sunday’s edition of The Mail in the U.K.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30018476-post2380.html
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The only upside for me would be one way redemptions. However the awards i'm looking at are a better value in IB Avios so the only transfer I did was BA to IB.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:40 pm

I’d be incredibly surprised if Iberia’s systems are able to support negative Avios balances. Especially given how generally flakey they appear to be. I’m also intrigued whether you could “insulate” yourself by using other programmes as a proxy. I’m already having to go through avios.com because I have a household BAEC account but what if I also went through AerClub and Vuelling, for example?

The other question is whether you’re able to close your account before Dec 1st but after transferring your Avios out. Under GDPR you have the “Right to Erasure” of your personal data and if you have no upcoming flights, and didn’t take any flights (so Iberia had no compelling reason to hold data on you for compliance reasons) you may be able to close your account and request your data be deleted. You would then, no doubt, enter in to a discussion with their data controller about whether this was appropriate or not. I don’t know if you would win that discussion, but I’d love to hear the results of anyone who tries. Companies are very twitchy when it comes to GDPR.

These are hypotheticals, obviously, and against the spirit of the offer if not the explicit terms. I’m happy that I can now transfer to BAEC as I believed I could when I booked the flights.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I am not confusing anything. You are now able to move your 90k avios to BAEC. Enjoy.

If you believe that redeeming Avios via BAEC is 100% exactly the same thing as redeeming Avios via Iberia Plus under the T&Cs of an Iberia Plus promotion, even though the two programmes are completely separate and are only linked by CMA, then I look forward to hearing back in December about how that went for you...
I never used my Iberia Plus account or Iberia before this promo and I don't plan to in the future, so I think I'll be fine.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Raffles
They said that in a tweet, and tweets by Iberia agents as a response to a question should be taken with a grain of salt.

There was no mention, in the terms of the promo page of Iberia website, of balances going negative if the points are not used by December
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:17 am

The original T&Cs had no reference to transfers out. I had planned all along to use the points before Dec, and to either use them on Iberia flights or move them to BA. It now seems that the IB website is pants and I’m not going to get anything usable there, so I will move them to BA, where I’ll still be spending them before Dec.

Because the original T&Cs only said they had to be spent by Dec, then I don’t think I’d be breaching those by spending them on BAEC before Dec. I don’t really use Twitter so nothing said there can be deemed to have been added, and all the blogs I saw had different bits of information - there’s no way they can day they notified a change in T&Cs via blogs when their own web page still showed the original info.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
Originally Posted by ClaireL
The original T&Cs had no reference to transfers out. I had planned all along to use the points before Dec, and to either use them on Iberia flights or move them to BA. It now seems that the IB website is pants and I’m not going to get anything usable there, so I will move them to BA, where I’ll still be spending them before Dec.

Because the original T&Cs only said they had to be spent by Dec, then I don’t think I’d be breaching those by spending them on BAEC before Dec. I don’t really use Twitter so nothing said there can be deemed to have been added, and all the blogs I saw had different bits of information - there’s no way they can day they notified a change in T&Cs via blogs when their own web page still showed the original info.
The original T&C said that redemption were subject to the general Iberia Avis T&C's.
These T&C's state that transferring to a BAEC does not count as spending them.
and spending them on BA is not spending them on Iberia.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by holloway1000
The original T&C said that redemption were subject to the general Iberia Avis T&C's.
We really need an official answer from Iberia.
If I transfer avios to BAEC won't it be bound to BAEC T&C's? Can Iberia request BAEC to "expire" avios even though the BAEC avios does not expire if you movement it? How can they say that from now we can transfer avios to BAEC but we will be penalized with negative avios by December 1st? Then we are not authorized to do it.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by holloway1000
Did the original promo T&Cs state that they had to be spent on Iberia though? Not that I recall - only that they had to be ‘spent’ by Dec. So transferring them isn’t spending them, but spending them on another website is, surely?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by ClaireL
Did the original promo T&Cs state that they had to be spent on Iberia though? Not that I recall - only that they had to be ‘spent’ by Dec. So transferring them isn’t spending them, but spending them on another website is, surely?
Yes, they said you need to use those Avios before December 1 and all other IbPlus T&C applied. Transferring Avios to BAEC does not count as usage.

On a related not, Iberia Plus does indeed contemplate negative balances. Normally that's not the case, only if you are Platino and have borrowed some Avios from Iberia Plus for a redemption. The problem will be once there is a big sum of accounts with negative balances - god knows how IbPus will react to that. Time to stocking up some popcorn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.