Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking: CAN transfer bonus avios to BAEC!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:42 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Raffles
Transferability of these Avios to British Airways

I have been working with a major British newspaper on a story about this offer, which is due to run on Sunday (full page feature). Iberia is giving the impression that it is going to cave in (to avoid bad publicity to a few million readers of this newspaper) - in the face of written correspondence to me that transfers out of Iberia would be possible - and will begin to allow the bonus Avios to be moved to BA.

This is NOT 100% certain yet. However, don't make any redemption in the next couple of days via Iberia if you would have preferred to move them to BA and spend via BAEC instead, as it may still be possible.
Thank you for the heads up!

How about if you transfer the Avios to BA and then use them before 12/1?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I would be wary about converting Avios over to a BAEC account as an alternative means of spending the promotional Avios. Even if it now possible to do this, it is highly unlikely such an action would override the general conditions of membership. In fact the promotion's T&C explicitly stated:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29891581-post14.html
The extra promotional Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer's account. The redemption terms and conditions are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Iberia Plus programme.
To anyone contemplating this action, I recommend you read up on the programme’s T&C and conduct your own risk assessment before acting
The question is how they follow up when the account goes negative. I don't live in the EU though I gave an EU address when I registered, I've never flown IB and virtually never BA, my accounts with both are pretty irrelevant to me, how'd they get them back then
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:15 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
I booked them online - LAX to OGG.
On Iberia's website?

Just transferred my Avios back to BA for the following:

Combine my Avios was successful

Your reference is xxxxxxxxxx. We have emailed a confirmation of your transaction to the following registered email addresses:

Your transfer

You transferred 165,950 Avios from Iberia Plus to British Airways.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The question is how they follow up when the account goes negative. I don't live in the EU though I gave an EU address when I registered, I've never flown IB and virtually never BA, my accounts with both are pretty irrelevant to me, how'd they get them back then
while it is true that a member has the option to close his/her IB+ account, it not clear what Iberia’s position would be with regard to the negative balance. Disenrollment is processed by request only.

It is also worth noting that when IB Plus and BA Executive Club eventually migrate to the common Avios platform, the balances belonging to an individual's IB Plus and BAEC accounts will be merged into a single balance. Once the migration is complete, members will be able redeem from and add credit to their single Avios "bank account" from both or any one of the programmes they belong to.

So a negative balance may catch up with you in the not too distant future, in which case all the effort engaging in this promotion will be for nothing.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kalboz
On Iberia's website?

Just transferred my Avios back to BA for the following:

Combine my Avios was successful

Your reference is xxxxxxxxxx. We have emailed a confirmation of your transaction to the following registered email addresses:

Your transfer

You transferred 165,950 Avios from Iberia Plus to British Airways.

Yes on Iberia's website.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: QF, AS, BA, SQ, CX, IB
Originally Posted by Raffles
He is not breaching the terms of the promo and Iberia specifically told leading bloggers that transfers would be allowed.

Don't go all revisionist on us now :-)

For UK residents this is a big deal, because we are all sitting on '241' Avios redemption vouchers via the BA Amex credit card which require the redemption to be made via BAEC.
Hi raffles,

I'm still a bit confused about what will happen with the IB+ account if the Avios are transferred to BA , AND redeemed prior to 1 Dec 18. Will the IB+ account still go 90,000 points negative resulting in an Avios debt or will the migration to BA satisfy them? Will the points transferred to BA some how be tagged in the system as expiring on 1 Dec 18? If the points are tagged, how do we ensure that redemptions made before 1 Dec 18 are using the Avios with the short fuse?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Guess this is the article:
Iberia backs down and agrees to allow Avios holders to add 90,000 points to their existing pot | Daily Mail Online
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:45 pm

"It means British Airways customers will now be able to use the bonus Avios loyalty points in the way they believed the offer promised."

Is that the criteria now, just believing something makes it true?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by rrgg
"It means British Airways customers will now be able to use the bonus Avios loyalty points in the way they believed the offer promised."

Is that the criteria now, just believing something makes it true?
Yes, a "reasonable person" would expect to be able to use the promo Avios like any other Avios, and that there won't be restrictions other than those spelled out in the terms. And conditions of the promo.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gnargel
Good for you, but you are breaching the T&C's of the promo. Don't be surprised if your IB and your BA account are going to be locked shortly or IB is coming after you in a different way....
Do you own shares in Iberia ? Who do so many people immediately side with the stingy sleazy for-profit price gouging airlines ?

Originally Posted by Prospero
I would be wary about converting Avios over to a BAEC account as an alternative means of spending the promotional Avios. Even if it now possible to do this, it is highly unlikely such an action would override the general conditions of membership. In fact the promotion's T&C explicitly stated:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29891581-post14.html
The extra promotional Avios not redeemed by 1 December 2018 will be withdrawn from the customer's account. The redemption terms and conditions are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Iberia Plus programme.
To anyone contemplating this action, I recommend you read up on the programme’s T&C and conduct your own risk assessment before acting
We don't care if a crappy airline with lousy customer service is unhappy about transferring out our Avios and decides to terminate our Iberia Plus or bans us.

I did not receive a direct communication from Iberia about the change of terms of the offer, and even if I did, it would have been retroactive and thus void

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 28, 2018 at 10:26 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It was mentioned again and again during the promotion that transfers to BA would not be allowed.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by relaxonbarton
Hi raffles,

I'm still a bit confused about what will happen with the IB+ account if the Avios are transferred to BA , AND redeemed prior to 1 Dec 18. Will the IB+ account still go 90,000 points negative resulting in an Avios debt or will the migration to BA satisfy them? Will the points transferred to BA some how be tagged in the system as expiring on 1 Dec 18? If the points are tagged, how do we ensure that redemptions made before 1 Dec 18 are using the Avios with the short fuse?

Thanks
About the Iberia Plus balances going negative, I'll believe it when I see it. Iberia Plus agents are unable or don't know how to search for availability and book awards on Royal Air Maroc, even though it's clearly stated on Iberia Plus as a redemption possibility.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Everything I know I register myself in
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
It was mentioned again and again during the promotion that transfers to BA would not be allowed.
Not in the original terms. That's whats been questioned.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Mentioned where ? If it's a letter sent to bloggers, it doesn't count. Not everyone reads miles & points blogs. If it's something added retroactively after people participated in the promo, it's unenforceable and void.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yeah, right. Because all of you found the promotion all by yourselves.
The next step will be that BA will have to restrict redemptions, punishing all BAEC members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.