Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia A350 crew training flights tomorrow?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia A350 crew training flights tomorrow?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: VS Gold and a few more.....
Here’s a view of the companion centre seats for those interested.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:27 am

Seat & IFE controls.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:33 am

Bathroom (Forward left hand side)

Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:51 am

Any non Iberia Plus members can register via the IFE system. 1000 bonus Avios are credited to your new account as an incentive for doing this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:56 am

Menu for LHR-MAD (Complete with FA finger prints)

English and Spanish versions on each side.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:57 pm

A few thoughts after the trip down to Madrid today.

Iberia’s new A359-900 has a decent business class product which left me impressed with the main aspects of the hard product - A few small issues need to be sorted - Most namely, the lack of available IFE.

The seat is very comfortable in both seating and bed mode. I liked the fact the footwell wasn’t fully enclosed and provided freedom for your feet which you don’t tend to get with most new generation business class seats.

The only major issue I had with the seat was the shoulder belt. The belt is mounted too close to the centre of headrest so when you have it fastened, it cuts into your neck with any minimal movements. It should have been mounted further towards the outer edge of the headrest so it sits across your shoulder in a more natural position.

The other problem I found with the seat was with the water bottle holder at floor level. I had a 750ml bottle of water with me and it wouldn’t fit. Not ideal as there is nowhere else to store it during takeoff and landing. The holder looks to only accept slim style bottles. This could have been designed differently as space exists to have allowed for most normal sized bottles. Small point, but an annoying one.

No cushions or bedding were loaded for this short flight (understandable I guess) - It would have been good to have seen what they plan to use prior to the aircraft moving onto it’s regular long haul routes

Onto the IFE..! It was active whilst on the ground however as soon as we got airborne, the crew announced it was unavailable for the duration of the flight - Queue groans from most of the cabin. This was 5 mins after the crew had asked passengers to sign up for Iberia Plus using the touchscreen if you weren’t already a member!

The IFE was working prior to departure so I’m unsure why IB are choosing to make it unavailable during the flight. This meant It wasn’t possible to see how effective the WiFi would and if any external cameras are available for passenger viewing. (Other A359 operators have these active and enhance the flight experience in my view)

As for the cabin crew - Wow..! It was like a first flight with no training beforehand. Some of the crew had no idea where to locate seat numbers, were generally looking around the galley for most items and looking very flustered. It’s gave me the impression they’d had no training on any aspect of the aircraft prior to stepping onboard.

I get that these training flights are to iron out service issues on a new type however paying customers are still onboard and you’d expect the crew to be more aware of the basics of the aircraft than they were. Improvements need to be made here asap.

On a more serious note - The guy sat opposite me was allowed to work with his laptop open throughout takeoff - The pre- departure cabin check was non existent.

Finally - Would I pay look to use the aircraft for IB flights once they find their way onto the JFK and EZE routes? - Yes I certainly would.

The seat was comfortable (Other than the shoulder belt) and the cabin layout felt spacious. It doesn’t have the refinement of QR’s Q-Suite product on their A359-900’s but it’s certainly an improvement on any existing IB product. It’s miles ahead of IAG’s business class offerings over at British Airways currently so a good option for Avios redemptions.

Overall I’d say it’s a solid 9/10 for the seat and cabin. IB need to sort their crew and IFE out quickly though.

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by StormDog
A few thoughts after the trip down to Madrid today.

Iberia’s new A359-900 has a decent business class product which left me impressed with the main aspects of the hard product - A few small issues need to be sorted - Most namely, the lack of available IFE.

The seat is very comfortable in both seating and bed mode. I liked the fact the footwell wasn’t fully enclosed and provided freedom for your feet which you don’t tend to get with most new generation business class seats.

The only major issue I had with the seat was the shoulder belt. The belt is mounted too close to the centre of headrest so when you have it fastened, it cuts into your neck with any minimal movements. It should have been mounted further towards the outer edge of the headrest so it sits across your shoulder in a more natural position.

The other problem I found with the seat was with the water bottle holder at floor level. I had a 750ml bottle of water with me and it wouldn’t fit. Not ideal as there is nowhere else to store it during takeoff and landing. The holder looks to only accept slim style bottles. This could have been designed differently as space exists to have allowed for most normal sized bottles. Small point, but an annoying one.

No cushions or bedding were loaded for this short flight (understandable I guess) - It would have been good to have seen what they plan to use prior to the aircraft moving onto it’s regular long haul routes

Onto the IFE..! It was active whilst on the ground however as soon as we got airborne, the crew announced it was unavailable for the duration of the flight - Queue groans from most of the cabin. This was 5 mins after the crew had asked passengers to sign up for Iberia Plus using the touchscreen if you weren’t already a member!

The IFE was working prior to departure so I’m unsure why IB are choosing to make it unavailable during the flight. This meant It wasn’t possible to see how effective the WiFi would and if any external cameras are available for passenger viewing. (Other A359 operators have these active and enhance the flight experience in my view)

As for the cabin crew - Wow..! It was like a first flight with no training beforehand. Some of the crew had no idea where to locate seat numbers, were generally looking around the galley for most items and looking very flustered. It’s gave me the impression they’d had no training on any aspect of the aircraft prior to stepping onboard.

I get that these training flights are to iron out service issues on a new type however paying customers are still onboard and you’d expect the crew to be more aware of the basics of the aircraft than they were. Improvements need to be made here asap.

On a more serious note - The guy sat opposite me was allowed to work with his laptop open throughout takeoff - The pre- departure cabin check was non existent.

Finally - Would I pay look to use the aircraft for IB flights once they find their way onto the JFK and EZE routes? - Yes I certainly would.

The seat was comfortable (Other than the shoulder belt) and the cabin layout felt spacious. It doesn’t have the refinement of QR’s Q-Suite product on their A359-900’s but it’s certainly an improvement on any existing IB product. It’s miles ahead of IAG’s business class offerings over at British Airways currently so a good option for Avios redemptions.

Overall I’d say it’s a solid 9/10 for the seat and cabin. IB need to sort their crew and IFE out quickly though.

Is it that much wider than the seat on the A340?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by petey2428
Is it that much wider than the seat on the A340?
The seat width was comfortable - It certainly didn't feel restrictive. The arm rests lower to create more room if needed.

Whilst in flat bed mode, I had plenty of shoulder space - I'd say it's wider than the A340.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:15 pm

Return flight today MAD-LHR.

IFE was working so had a good look through the system - It’s easy to navigate via the touchscreen and the separate controller. Menu’s are well laid out and content was decent.

Cons - IB hadn’t loaded any headsets (doh), the WiFi isn’t working yet and unfortunately IB have chosen not to integrate any of the A350’s external cameras which is a shame.

The crew were a lot better on today’s sector - A significant improvement on the outbound and the food offering was excellent also.

Finally - Here’s a picture of one of the RR Trent XWB’s. That’s my excuse anyone to show what a stunning day for flying today was!

Enjoy the IB A350 all - It will be an excellent product once all the initial teething problems are sorted.

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

'unfortunately IB have chosen not to integrate any of the A350’s external cameras which is a shame.'
@StormDog Is that perm going forward do you know or just for these training flights? Shame if they're not going to be available.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie
'unfortunately IB have chosen not to integrate any of the A350’s external cameras which is a shame.'
@StormDog Is that perm going forward do you know or just for these training flights? Shame if they're not going to be available.
I'd say it's permanent - There was no sign of them in any area of the IFE software so I don't think they're designed into the system unfortunately.
Lizie likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
IB chose not to install them. Similar to BA on their A380 - no camera either. It's a BIG same.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Does anyone have any tips on where to sit in the Y cabin? I have a flight in a couple months with free selection but no clue where to go.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
MAD-JFK

My wife and I are also booked on the 350 thanks to the recent Iberia promotion . My wife would like a window seat going out, to capture the views of New York etc. Left hand side or Right ? I'm happy to sit anywhere close by. Thanks.
Sorry, Business.

Last edited by mike turnbull; Jul 27, 2018 at 3:56 am
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Did the MAD-LHR route today.

Headsets loaded. The IFE has a good quality screen.
The harness is really uncomfortable and will likely lead to people not wearing it when the seat belt sign is off. Not sure how you'd sleep with it on.
Announcements go on far too long as they are done in English and Spanish. Missed the last 5 mins of my film as it kept stopping whilst they announced things like booking on Iberia.com for the guaranteed lowest prices.
Crew didn't seem to care about checking the cabin for landing. No checks for seatbelts, glassware left on tables, etc.
A nice seat though, more comfortable than Finnairs one

Arrived at LHR T5C and the airbridge didn't work so waited quite a long time for them to turn it off and on again and get it fixed to the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.