Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Pictorial Lounge Review: MAD Iberia Premium Lounge Velázquez

Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver

Index to Genius1 Trip Reports

Earlier this month I visited the newly refurbished Iberia Premium Lounge Velázquez at Madrid Terminal 4S. This is one of two Iberia departure lounges at MAD, the other (the Dali VIP Lounge) being located in the T4 main building serving mainly Schengen destination flights. If you’re departing MAD on a BA operated flight, you’ll fly from T4S and can use the lounge that is the subject of this review.

I’ve visited this lounge several times before and have always appreciated the oodles of natural light flooding the long space from the floor to ceiling windows on three sides. This, and the accompanying apron and runway view, hasn’t changed in the recent (November 2017) refurbishment, but pretty much everything else has – and not all for the better. For some images of the lounge in its previous guise, see my 2016 report here.

The lounge is located at departure gate level, with the entrance partially hidden in the middle of the duty free store. The dual entrance has been reduced to a single set of automatic sliding doors in the refurbishment, with a new reception desk beyond. The reception is situated almost directly in the middle of the lounge and houses a magazine/newspaper stand within its back; the selection is extremely limited with no mainstream magazines to speak of. According to the Iberia website, digital newspapers and magazines are available via the lounge wifi, but I didn’t realise this at the time and there is no obvious signage to indicate this in the lounge.

Seating areas throughout the lounge, principally along the windows, are arranged in groups of two or four armchairs, all in shades of grey and red, the lounge’s signature colour scheme. Despite their less than attractive looks, these chairs are comfortable; it’s nice to be able to rotate them to a customisable position to gain more privacy (or open up to your neighbour) if required. Almost all seating areas feature both power and USB ports and individual reading lamps, although the console tables between the seats feel a bit plasticy.

Turning right from reception is a play area (with its own coffee station, a useful feature for parents), followed by shower suites and a small number of curtained rest areas.

Beyond is one of the two buffet areas, with both hot and cold counters and a large coffee station. A reasonable selection of salad, sandwiches and cold cuts on one side was mirrored with a decent selection of hot dishes including paella. Because only limited quantities were on display at any one time, the buffets often seemed depleted and were less than well tended to. Happily, both the quality and taste of the hot dishes was more than acceptable, and certainly a cut above BA’s LHR offering. The previous hard floors of the lounge have been replaced (probably simply overlaid) with carpet tiles – including the buffet areas. This is a very odd choice for such a highly trafficked and accident-prone area; time will tell whether this was a wise design concept by Iberia. Incidentally, the original tiled floor can still be seen in the upstands below the windows.

The coffee station included pastries, bread, fruit, biscuits and just one type of cake which I considered a little stingy.

At the far end of this side of the lounge, a tended wine bar occupies the space of the former waiter service dining area (which has relocated to the opposite end of the lounge). This is one of the more attractive spaces in a lounge that is otherwise rather bland in terms of décor. Cava is available in mini bottles here.

Moving over to the opposite side of the lounge, to the left of reception is a TV area (with its own coffee station), followed by a small work space for those with their own laptops. The washrooms are here too.

Beyond is an identical dual buffet set-up to the opposite end of the lounge, with matching coffee station. One of my favourite features of the Iberia catering is the inclusion of chocolate milk drinks, plus mineral water available in takeaway size bottles (useful for those forays into Euro Traveller where buy on board service now sadly reigns).

The far end of the lounge is set up with ugly black armchairs in rows down to a small coffee and drinks station adjacent to the entrance to the waiter service dining area/restaurant. The restaurant is open only for the late night longhaul Iberia departures; I believe access is limited to those travelling in J on these flights.

The Velázquez lounge remains one of my favourites in Europe. It’s bright and spacious, with good views and decent catering (when the staff can be bothered to keep the buffets replenished and tables cleared). I remain to be convinced on the recent refurbishment; carpet tiles never appeal to me in dining areas, and some of the finishes are distinctly low in quality. The overall effect is pleasing enough on the eye, however, in what is an ultimately practical space to pass a few hours before your flight.

Last edited by Genius1; Jul 14, 2018 at 9:52 am
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Nice review! No mention of the ice cream though
bisonrav and Genius1 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Genius1

Nice to see the Man from Del Monte in the lounge!

Just to add to your excellent review, here's the showers in the lounge. Much better than T5.

so3003 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Very nice review.

BTW, shouldn´t this be in the Iberia forum?
Marschel, Fontana and mrow like this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Nice to see the Man from Del Monte in the lounge!
He might say yes but I think I prefer the old lounge style more.

Cheers Genius1. ^
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:26 am

Great review! did you check out the nap room? do you have any picture of it by any chance?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
He might say yes but I think I prefer the old lounge style more.

Cheers Genius1. ^
Having been in the old one and the new one quite a few times I do miss some of the features of the old one. Still I do like the new one. Not sure about the carpet though.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for the comments!

Originally Posted by ringingup
No mention of the ice cream though
I didn't notice it! Where is it located?

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Just to add to your excellent review, here's the showers in the lounge. Much better than T5.
Thanks, I didn't pop into the showers, so those photos are very useful. The showers look great.

Originally Posted by petey2428
did you check out the nap room? do you have any picture of it by any chance?
I walked into the quiet area, but all of the rooms (c.5 from memory) were occupied so no photos. There's a day bed and table in each one, with a curtain for privacy from the corridor. The lights turn on with movement and off automatically after a short period.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Nice revamp of the lounge... it has been long since I am not passing by. I will try to do it soon
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
To be honest, I can’t remember exactly where, but there’s definitely ice cream!
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
We were in the lounge recently and definitely had ice cream - from the smaller buffet area which is to the right when entering.

The shower was fine - you book at reception and get a code to access a specific shower suite - except that there was no body wash in the dispenser inside the cubicle. Unfortunately I only noticed once I was wet and had to go and get the bottles from the basin.

The signage is a bit poor as we followed the rather tempting sign near the entrance for the dining area but it is only when you get tp the far end that you find it is closed until late evening (as mentioned above).

There are coded luggage lockers, with integral power sockets, near the reception area.

Old Aug 6, 2018, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
I think the bit about the dining room not being open till late evening is just poorly translated - well, I can't think of a better translation but it doesn't get the message across. Cenar in Spanish is to have dinner, whereas dine is used for all meals of the day.
ringingup likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've added some images of and thoughts on the shower suites in my report here: The End of the A340-600: Iberia Business to the Holy Land
Old Jun 24, 2020, 2:24 pm

End of the A340-600 indeed. With this crisis, the first measure they are taking is retiring all their remaining A346.
Genius1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.