FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Does Iberia have any plans to fly to Washington DC.Have they ever flown this route?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1918653-does-iberia-have-any-plans-fly-washington-dc-have-they-ever-flown-route.html)

Tilto007 Jul 7, 2018 6:12 am

Does Iberia have any plans to fly to Washington DC.Have they ever flown this route??

Just wondering why no flights??

craigthemif Jul 7, 2018 8:00 am

Why would you expect a flight between MAD and IAD? There is almost no connecting traffic on a Oneworld partner.

IIRC American government employees must fly on an American airline, so there would be very little traffic for IB ex-IAD.

Tilto007 Jul 7, 2018 8:41 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29947415)
Why would you expect a flight between MAD and IAD? There is almost no connecting traffic on a Oneworld partner.

IIRC American government employees must fly on an American airline, so there would be very little traffic for IB ex-IAD.

Well to be honest their are nonstop flights from IAD to most major European cities.I have always considered Madrid a major European destination but maybe I was wrong in thinking this way??
FYI their are nonstops from IAD to the following cities in Europe. London,Paris, Dublin ,Reykjavik, Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, Amsterdam ,Munich, Paris, Brussels and Copenhagen.

craigthemif Jul 7, 2018 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 (Post 29947506)
Well to be honest their are nonstop flights from IAD to most major European cities.I have always considered Madrid a major European destination but maybe I was wrong in thinking this way??
FYI their are nonstops from IAD to the following cities in Europe. London,Paris, Dublin ,Reykjavik, Geneva, Zurich, Vienna, Amsterdam ,Munich, Paris, Brussels and Copenhagen.

Almost all on UA, who have a hub at IAD. Or Star Alliance at least...

Routes are based on:

1. Business traffic - very little for that route, especially for a foreign carrier
2. Connecting traffic - limited AA options to continue on from IAD
3. Point-to-point viability - MAD isn't much of a tourist hotspot, and DC is of greater interest to Americans than foreigners. But UA does have summer seasonal flights.

Tilto007 Jul 7, 2018 9:12 am

You are right on your points.This is the type of market that could probably be served efficiently by a smaller plane 321LR etc.Let us see what happens in the next few years.

LupineChemist Jul 7, 2018 9:57 am

They did used to fly it and I believe it's up there on possible new destinations, probably behind YYZ, though.

And US government workers need to travel on a flight marketed by a US airline, not operated, so just adding a lot more AA codeshare seats works well enough.

The UA hub argument is true, but they also fly to SFO, I could see an IAD flight working well on a 332.

Yllanes Jul 7, 2018 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 29947539)
Almost all on UA, who have a hub at IAD. Or Star Alliance at least...

And UA does fly IAD-MAD.

Cltfc Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 29947709)
They did used to fly it and I believe it's up there on possible new destinations, probably behind YYZ, though.

And US government workers need to travel on a flight marketed by a US airline, not operated, so just adding a lot more AA codeshare seats works well enough.

The UA hub argument is true, but they also fly to SFO, I could see an IAD flight working well on a 332.

Rumors in the Spanish media suggest that YYZ and PHL are the next North American cities to be added

LupineChemist Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 29959013)
Rumors in the Spanish media suggest that YYZ and PHL are the next North American cities to be added

PHL is already served via AA. Best to leave AA hub flying to AA and add more capacity elsewhere. I agree with YYZ, though.

Yllanes Jul 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I would not mind them adding more frequencies to PHL or CLT, which are the nicest entry ports. However, YYZ makes more sense.

Cltfc Jul 10, 2018 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 29959669)
PHL is already served via AA. Best to leave AA hub flying to AA and add more capacity elsewhere. I agree with YYZ, though.

PHL would give Iberia access to 120 destinations in North America from the One World Hub so it makes much more sense then IAD. I dont know what will happen but as I indicated previously YYZ and PHL are being suggested as the new destinations by the Travel Media in Spain

LupineChemist Jul 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cltfc (Post 29960138)
PHL would give Iberia access to 120 destinations in North America from the One World Hub so it makes much more sense then IAD. I dont know what will happen but as I indicated previously YYZ and PHL are being suggested as the new destinations by the Travel Media in Spain

They already have that access with AA740/1. That's a big part of how the JV works, they literally get their share of the revenue from the AA flight. It doesn't have to be an IB operated flight for IB to consider it served based on the JV.

PLATINOIB Jul 11, 2018 1:48 am

Iberia flows in the past to Dullles. I used this route few times.

Tilto007 Jul 11, 2018 5:05 am

Hopefully they will bring this route back someday.maybe with a smaller plane.Many new smaller (200 seat) aircraft types can fly this route efficiently