Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbfield
  • Login problems: If you have trouble logging into the Iberia website, type in your number and password by hand instead of using autocomplete. For some people this fixes login issues.
  • Partner awards: Many flights on partners will not be available as one-way. You must redeem AA flights as a round trip for example
  • Cancellations: Iberia awards on AA cannot be cancelled.
Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com
Terms and conditions of the offer are to be found here in post 14.
Data Points for those whose points did not post in the initial batch on 3-4 July.

Please do a separate data point for each account. If you opened accounts for others (spouse, child, parent, etc), please make a separate entry for each account you opened. Please follow the formatting below so we have some consistency. If you're a new user and can't post to the wiki, please post your data point as a reply to the thread and someone will add it to the wiki on your behalf.

Format
USER / OWNER / ACCT / YEAR / DOCS? / VERIFIED? / POSTED? / # PTS / MISSING / DENIAL REASON / FURTHER STEPS
Legend
USER: Your FT username
OWNER: SELF or WIFE/CHILD/MOM/DAD/etc. Owner of the account (i.e. the name on the account).
ACCT: NEW or OLD. New = created during promo period. Old = created prior to promo period.
YEAR: Optional. Year account opened.
DOCS?: DOCS or NO DOCS. Did you submit identity documentation to IB?
VERIFIED: VERIFIED or UNVERIFIED. Has IB actually verified the docs you submitted yet (via email confirmation)?
POSTED?: POSTED or NOT POSTED. Points posted to account?
# PTS: How many points have posted to the account so far?
MISSING: How many points (that were expected) did not actually post?
DENIAL REASON: If you've been denied or are in limbo, what was the reason stated? INCONSISTENCIES, REFUNDS, WAITING, etc.
FURTHER STEPS: Have you done anything further to contact IB about the issue? What have you done? Complaints to DOT, EU, IB, etc. or NONE
Data Points:
mickeyjaw / SELF / OLD / 2016 / NO DOCS / NA / PARTIALLY POSTED / 45k PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
swingaling / WIFE / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / INCONSISTENCIES / DOT and IB
Surface Interval / Wife / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED /
POSTED on 07/17 / 90k PTS / 0k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Diannap / Self / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Diannap / Husband / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Junior_2J&K / Self / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED /
POSTED on 07/17 / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / WAITING / IB - canned response
OC_Matt / Self / Old / 2015 / NO DOCS / N/A /POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE (updated 8/21)
OC_Matt / Wife / New / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE (updated 7/17)
OC_Matt / Friend / New / 2018 / NO DOCS / N/A / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE
OverTheHorizon / Self / 2013 / NO DOCS / N/A /
POSTED / 81k PTS / 9K MISSING / NONE / IB - canned response to detailed email, waiting and seeing !!
FlyingPenguin / SELF / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
zsc / self / old (dormant) / 2017 / NO DOCS / N/A /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE
DeJar/ self / New (old account inaccessible) / 208 / Docs / Verified / 0pts / 90k Missing / DECLINED 07/20/2018 (requesting reconsideration) / None - notice frim IB seems to confirm promo Avios will be posted
zebranz / Self / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / WAITING / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 81K-9K just showed up without asking- 18 July!
zebranz / #1son / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / WAITING / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 81K-9K just showed up without asking- 18 July!
zebranz / #2son / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 90K
zebranz / daughter-in-law / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 90K
Bobdh13 / SELF / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / RECEIVED 18 JULY
Bobdh13 / BROTHER / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / RECEIVED 19 JULY
elmoufoken / SELF / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 90K PTS / Duplicate Account / IB+ call center operator confirmed I dont have duplicate account, Sent email to IB+ with doc and form, account still locked. 9 of 10 booking got cancelled by them without my instruction, deposit of 7 out of 8 have not been refunded. 1 booking still alive.
jbfield/ SELF/ OLD / many years ago / No Docs / NA / POSTED / 81k PTS / 9000 MISSING / IB Agreed they should be credited / Chased up multiple times. RECEIVED 20 Nov '19
Print Wikipost

Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by kingofbeans
I don't really understand why people (including bloggers) are grouping together the 'people making accounts for their dog and imaginary friend' with those who simply opened new accounts and booked the cheapest flights available. One group is definitely abusing the terms of the terms of the promo, the other is following the rules as advised by Iberia. And even if you feel that booking one way domestic flights was abuse, then you should at least I hope agree that Iberia have not dealt with this well.
Because if there has been wide scale "sign up your dog" abuse, it's much easier to implement a simple rule than go into the details of individual cases and make judgements. It may not seem fair, but it's the commercial reality. Honestly, I doubt Iberia are bothered about losing fliers who didn't previously have Iberia Plus accounts but signed up for multiple flights during a promotion. The PR effect is negligible outside the bubble of people who went hell for leather to max out the promotion - go around your office and ask if anyone else even knew about it. Even amongst the sub group who had existing accounts and booked flights to nowhere and got the 90K you'll find maybe sympathy but not much more than that.

Personally, if I received the email, I'd just call and cancel the flights. I think that's a reasonably generous gesture, as I suspect IB would be correct in saying the IB+ account number wasn't on the booking at the time it was made, which is what the T&Cs requested.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, MeliáRewards Platinum (no longer used)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Because if there has been wide scale "sign up your dog" abuse, it's much easier to implement a simple rule than go into the details of individual cases and make judgements. It may not seem fair, but it's the commercial reality. Honestly, I doubt Iberia are bothered about losing fliers who didn't previously have Iberia Plus accounts but signed up for multiple flights during a promotion. The PR effect is negligible outside the bubble of people who went hell for leather to max out the promotion - go around your office and ask if anyone else even knew about it. Even amongst the sub group who had existing accounts and booked flights to nowhere and got the 90K you'll find maybe sympathy but not much more than that.

Personally, if I received the email, I'd just call and cancel the flights. I think that's a reasonably generous gesture, as I suspect IB would be correct in saying the IB+ account number wasn't on the booking at the time it was made, which is what the T&Cs requested.
Iberia should have limited the promo or thought out their T&Cs fully in the first place. This would prevent people signing up for new accounts, sending in details, etc.

If they did decide on a simple rule to limit the avios they need to pay out (e.g. no new accounts) they should communicate this clearly instead of just saying 'inconsistencies'. They also should not be requesting ID information by email at all, but especially not in these cases where they don't intend to even pay out the avios.

If Iberia can't pay out the avios then being open about it and not unnecessarily demanding things from people who won't receive avios seems right to me.

I have not broken any rules but have had significant time wasted, a few hundred pounds will be held up with Iberia and potentially for nothing despite following Iberia's rules (the IB+ account number was/is very definitely on these bookings). I'm not super mad about this, and I understand the issues from Iberia's side. I don't intend to take legal action and get that you win some, you lose some... but Iberia have done wrong here and it's been a disappointment to me and others, so sympathy is something I'd hope for. I get the impression that existing account holders who got their avios seem to be categorizing those who opened new accounts with domestic flights with those who signed up their dog which just doesn't seem fair.
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kingofbeans
Iberia should have limited the promo or thought out their T&Cs fully in the first place. This would prevent people signing up for new accounts, sending in details, etc.

If they did decide on a simple rule to limit the avios they need to pay out (e.g. no new accounts) they should communicate this clearly instead of just saying 'inconsistencies'. They also should not be requesting ID information by email at all, but especially not in these cases where they don't intend to even pay out the avios.

If Iberia can't pay out the avios then being open about it and not unnecessarily demanding things from people who won't receive avios seems right to me.
Agree. It's definitely a game, and if one plays by the explicit rules then you should expect the advertised outcome.

Requesting ID and copies of the tickets seems a waste of everyone's time if their intention was never to pay out to any new accounts.
C17PSGR and kingofbeans like this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's pretty obvious that it's not normal behaviour to create an account and book 10 one way tickets to Santander. That in itself is an "inconsistency". It's not realistic to believe a company would allocate resources to spend time looking in detail at bookings and trying to figure out motivations for tens of thousands of new accounts.

Ultimately this was a classic feeding frenzy - people saw other people doing things and apparently getting stuff, and did the same. Anyone with an ounce of rationality would realise that it was wide open, that there was mass takeup via a whole load of blogs and forums, and that the balance of probability was that IB might retrospectively act to limit the damage - this was noted at the time by several people including myself, but what happens during a feeding frenzy is that the voices of reason get shouted down in the rush to access the free stuff others seem to be getting.

Iberia are being reasonable in allowing refunds outside the normal conditions of purchase - I suspect they don't have to do that. People obviously can spend months pursuing some sort of legal claim against a big company with deep pockets and their own legal team (they won't have proceeded with the action they're taking without advice). I personally wouldn't. Best to move on and look for the next opportunity.
flyuk likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Hope Iberia will do something interesting soon.
Award more Avios, cancel more tickets, change first names in IB+ profiles to “Donald,” anything really.

This thread is becoming terribly boring with the same argument (“So unfair!” - “No, it’s not!”) being thrown back and forth all the time.
cruisr likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 6:51 am

I can’t believe there is some of you that still support the company when they dont respect their terms and conditions. it is a fact they are the one to blame. it is not our inconsistencies to comply with the terms and we should be able to decide whether we make a “no-show” or whatever. terms were clear enough so we could do whatever we wanted.

ps. i have just registered to say this
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:04 am

For new accounts. what seems to be the time frame between sending in your passport/tickets/email confirms and getting back the "inconsistencies" and offer of refund email? That's where I'm currently at in this process...acceptance...just waiting to close it out.

Any for those who took the refund offer, is Iberia processing the refunds promptly (sorry haven't read the whole thread)?
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:23 am

I've been away for a few days, so I didn't send a copy of my passport and the tickets until yesterday. I'm just waiting for the answer, and I suppose I will get the inconsistency email. Regarding that I can prove that I have a IB flight from SCL to MAD arriving just before my flight to SVQ. I'm also booked on the same return flight from SVQ.
I have five tickets in each direction, not sure if that will help me.

Anyway, I don't care too much. Wasn't over the moon about this promotion but decided to do it. As long as I get the possibility to cancel I'm ok. But sure, I'd take the 90.000 Avios anyday.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:35 am

The only way for Iberia to be right in this situation is regarding people who created fake accounts as I'm sure somewhere under Iberia Plus T&C's says that it must be a real person..

Regarding buying 10 one way .tickets that you won't fly they don't have the right to cancel. They can't say we were acting in bad faith as I had initially purchased 4 tickets and after reading many tweets from them saying you didn't have to fly and all you had to do was purchase any flights iIwent ahead and purchased another 6 flights.

Either way on a brazilian Facebook group people are starting to receive emails from Iberia asking to send additional documentation. One person only sent the etickets and passport, but they asked for a copy of the actual reservation email this is where it shows the actual IB+ number.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: DL, BA, AA
It's pretty straight forward to me.

Iberia set this up with their eyes wide open. It is their program, their rules. If you enrolled in the promotion and followed the rules, you get the miles.

I will not be requesting a refund anytime soon.
86BA7 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by worldtravels
It's pretty straight forward to me.

Iberia set this up with their eyes wide open. It is their program, their rules. If you enrolled in the promotion and followed the rules, you get the miles.

I will not be requesting a refund anytime soon.
Agree 100% with you.

And to be honest I won't even stop flying with them if they have better pricing for a specific trip or anything like that as long as they post my Avios eventually.

My wish to save money on plane tickets is higher than my proud hahahah
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by treinta
I can’t believe there is some of you that still support the company when they dont respect their terms and conditions. it is a fact they are the one to blame. it is not our inconsistencies to comply with the terms and we should be able to decide whether we make a “no-show” or whatever. terms were clear enough so we could do whatever we wanted.

ps. i have just registered to say this
Doesn't Iberia have like a catch-all phrase in the T&C that says something along the line of they can refuse service to anyone suspected of fraudulent behavior? I thought most airlines have some clause like that.

Edit:
"The Programme reserves the right to recall your card, cancel your account and hold you responsible if you make improper or fraudulent use of the Programme or do not comply with the rules and procedures contained in these General Conditions."

They could easily argue that booking 10 one-way flights with no intention of flying them is an improper use of the program. Yes, they said that you don't have to fly them to get avios, but I mean, let's be realistic and acknowledge that we are exploiting this overly generous promo. If you actually book a valid round trip or two but couldn't make the flight due to some change in schedule then that's understandable. However, when are you booking 10 cheapest one-way tickets, it's not hard to argue that you're exploiting the spirit of the promo and are making an improper use of the program.

This promo was never risk free. When you play the game, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. It's good enough that Iberia is offering a refund though. They could easily burn you and make it hard to get refunds.

Last edited by petey2428; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:09 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by petey2428
Doesn't Iberia have like a catch-all phrase in the T&C that says something along the line of they can refuse service to anyone suspected of fraudulent behavior? I thought most airlines have some clause like that.

Edit:
"The Programme reserves the right to recall your card, cancel your account and hold you responsible if you make improper or fraudulent use of the Programme or do not comply with the rules and procedures contained in these General Conditions."

They could easily argue that booking 10 one-way flights with no intention of flying them is an improper use of the program. Yes, they said that you don't have to fly them to get avios, but I mean, let's be realistic and acknowledge that we are exploiting this overly generous promo. If you actually book a valid round trip or two but couldn't make the flight due to some change in schedule then that's understandable. However, when are you booking 10 cheapest one-way tickets, it's not hard to argue that you're exploiting the spirit of the promo and are making an improper use of the program.

This promo was never risk free. When you play the game, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. It's good enough that Iberia is offering a refund though. They could easily burn you and make it hard to get refunds.
I'm not trying to say that you don't have a point there or that Iberia won't try this route, but they have awarded the miles for older accounts who did just that. I personally know 5 people with old accounts who purchased 10 cheap one-way tickets for consecutive days and have already received and redeemed their avios. So there is a precedent where they awarded Avios for that type of purchase so I think is unlikely they will go down that way, or at least do it successfully.

The only difference is that we have a brand new account, but again, nothing in the T&C stated that we were not eligible.

It's not my fault that I tried (following the promo terms) to maximize my benefits by purchasing cheap tickets multiple times. In the past when mileage run was still very popular a lot of people flew long flights for very cheap solely to get award points, and in that case the airline still had to supply the pasenger with food and all amenities and expenses since the passenger actually took the flight. Some of the most popular mileage runs (inlcuding AA error fare in 2015) were almost just as beneficial to the customer and not so beneficial to the company as this promo.

Here in Brazil it's somewhat common big e-commerces partner with airlines to offer 10-15 points per $ spent on products. One time I purchased 3 smartphones that ended up getting me 100K points with LATAM and I sold all smartphones for just about the same price resulting in 100K for free! And this wasn't a one time promo where they realized it wasn't beneficial.. This happens all the type and there is even one giving 6 points per R$ for Avianca right now.

So in my opinion I totally understand Iberia trying to deny the Avios for poeple who created multiple accounts and it's nice of them to offer a refund (they didn't have to). But for anyone else who followed the rules then it's a must for them to give us the points.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
If Iberia decided to not allow refunds for these tickets they would be leaving themselves open to massive backlash, and I assume they are aware that likely the majority of people would follow up by launching payment disputes with their card providers due to advertised items/services not being provided. And in that case Iberia haven't helped themselves by reiterating in their email that we will still be given the Avios once the information is provided.
Yes this promo was insanely good value, but at the same time, they made it very clear that there were no restrictions on the cost, length or even the requirement to fly the booked flights, and aside from the issues with individuals having multiple accounts, the rest of us are playing by their rules.

I have also sent the requested information to Iberia, so just waiting to hear back now. So far no inconsistency emails, and bookings are still live.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Marriott
At this point I'm getting rather discouraged. Do you think they will post any more points? Or even respond to emails?

I was not a new account, no points ever posted and was never locked out. Their twitter team did verify Thursday that my reference numbers registered with the promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.