FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus-683/)
-   -   Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberia-airlines-iberia-plus/1915681-iberia-plus-offer-9000-per-booking-21-24-june-2018-iberia-com.html)

lifeisart Dec 3, 2018 9:32 am

I also see that Iberia removed all the points I got from the promotion even though I booked some tickets last minute (and those went through). It was already past midnight Spain time when I booked (I got the time zone mixed up by an hour). This is similar to what people above said.... Terrible ...

olgsr Dec 3, 2018 4:50 pm

Had to move out my points as I couldn't find availability for the dates I need to be in Europe next year. Had to do IB->Avios->BA because of household account transfer snafu. I wonder what happens if I transfer it back to another IB account I have with 0 miles? Obviously IB account 1 has a -90000 balance....

Prospero Dec 3, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by olgsr (Post 30495549)
Had to move out my points as I couldn't find availability for the dates I need to be in Europe next year. Had to do IB->Avios->BA because of household account transfer snafu. I wonder what happens if I transfer it back to another IB account I have with 0 miles? Obviously IB account 1 has a -90000 balance....

i hate to scare monger but the action you describe would potentially invite an audit, leading to the possible closures of your BAEC account and IB+ accounts.

craigthemif Dec 4, 2018 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 30495615)
i hate to scare monger but the action you describe would potentially invite an audit, leading to the possible closures of your BAEC account and IB+ accounts.

I agree, but several months of scaremongering didn't stop a bunch of people from thinking they knew better.

But it's definitely a massive red flag to shut down an IB+ account, open a new one, and then populate it with all of the identical details necessary to match up with a BAEC or AerLingus account. HHA has a bit extra attention paid to it I imagine because of the occasional fraudulent addition of "household members" who aren't actually resident at the same address.

The safest thing I can think of is to spend all existing Avios-based accounts down to zero and to start over from scratch with all brand new accounts using different postal / e-mail addresses.

Granite64 Dec 4, 2018 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by dgilligan02 (Post 29938103)
I don't know why I didn't get the email y'all did requesting copy of ID...but if it's a "general" email and not passenger specific if somebody would forward me the email I'd appreciate. Would like to reply on it to send in our info. Will of course remove senders email. PM me for email address if anybody can help.

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30496769)
The safest thing I can think of is to spend all existing Avios-based accounts down to zero and to start over from scratch with all brand new accounts using different postal / e-mail addresses.

As in deleting IB+ and BAEC accounts?

ChocolateFactory Dec 9, 2018 6:27 am

When changing a booking (same route, just a different day), do you know if it's possible to also change the passenger information to somebody else? I mean without canceling and creating a new booking.

craigthemif Dec 9, 2018 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory (Post 30515239)
When changing a booking (same route, just a different day), do you know if it's possible to also change the passenger information to somebody else? I mean without canceling and creating a new booking.

I marvel at the ideas people are coming up with surrounding this promo.

It would be a great scam - Book reward tickets in J, find a third party willing to pay cash for the flight, then the member calls to change the name on the reservation.

Even though that might not be your intention, no airline is going to open that loophole.

ChocolateFactory Dec 9, 2018 12:35 pm

As far as I know, SAS and Norwegian actually allow that, with revenue tickets at least. The name change fee is quite low, too. I believe it's a 50$ flat fee or so.

Anyway, I have MAD-NRT booked for Thursday in J and I just realized it would be quite stressful since we'll also be flying MAD-MDE a week later, and then BOG-MAD a week after that, all in J (love this promo).
So we'd like to postpone our MAD-NRT flight and availability would coincide with my brother's birthday.
But I guess I'll just have to go with my SO then. ;)

ga8riel Dec 10, 2018 8:30 am

I too got MAD-NRT for two people in J! but not till Nov. Can you please report back/pm me on the experience of flying J in this route?

ChocolateFactory Dec 10, 2018 8:55 am

There are still seats available before November, too.
I have flown MAD-NRT in Y and NRT-MAD on IB before. It’s very nice, typical Iberia. I really like them.

quitecryptic Dec 11, 2018 4:59 pm

Do I need to check in for the flights I booked for the promo? (not flying them)

I don't want to make things more annoying for the flight crew (trying to find me or something), but I also don't want to somehow lose the 9000 avios (putting my account negative I guess)

ChocolateFactory Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by quitecryptic (Post 30524851)
Do I need to check in for the flights I booked for the promo? (not flying them)

I don't want to make things more annoying for the flight crew (trying to find me or something), but I also don't want to somehow lose the 9000 avios (putting my account negative I guess)

No, you don’t have to check in nor fly.

Frequentflyer99 Dec 12, 2018 1:35 am

As I am already in negative territory, I cancelled the 3 refundable tickets that I booked as part of the promo, in the hope that the canx charge would be less than the cheap flights. I had to call up to cancel and was variously told the fee would be €30 and £30. It turns out that the charge was only £15 per ticket, so a few £ cheaper than the cheapo non-refundables.

Enigma368 Dec 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by dilvala (Post 30485894)
I called Iberia to verify that I can cancel the booking and be refunded the points., they said I had 24 hours if I paid in dollars. I wonder if this will reset the clock on the points since they are redeposited. I guess this is another angle but not sure if the whole $205 in taxes plus 44k avios are worth it in economy.

Anyone have a data point on cancelling a flight booked with these miles? I would prefer to cancel a flight but don't want to lose the avios I used which came from the promo.

Enigma368 Dec 15, 2018 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Enigma368 (Post 30533473)
Anyone have a data point on cancelling a flight booked with these miles? I would prefer to cancel a flight but don't want to lose the avios I used which came from the promo.

Or a guess on what might happen? I am thinking my avios would probably not be removed at this stage but it is still a risk?