Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking 21/JUN to 24/JUN on iberia.com

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 3, 19, 8:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jbfield
Wiki Link
  • Login problems: If you have trouble logging into the Iberia website, type in your number and password by hand instead of using autocomplete. For some people this fixes login issues.
  • Partner awards: Many flights on partners will not be available as one-way. You must redeem AA flights as a round trip for example
  • Cancellations: Iberia awards on AA cannot be cancelled.
Terms and conditions of the offer are to be found here in post 14.
Data Points for those whose points did not post in the initial batch on 3-4 July.

Please do a separate data point for each account. If you opened accounts for others (spouse, child, parent, etc), please make a separate entry for each account you opened. Please follow the formatting below so we have some consistency. If you're a new user and can't post to the wiki, please post your data point as a reply to the thread and someone will add it to the wiki on your behalf.

Format
USER / OWNER / ACCT / YEAR / DOCS? / VERIFIED? / POSTED? / # PTS / MISSING / DENIAL REASON / FURTHER STEPS
Legend
USER: Your FT username
OWNER: SELF or WIFE/CHILD/MOM/DAD/etc. Owner of the account (i.e. the name on the account).
ACCT: NEW or OLD. New = created during promo period. Old = created prior to promo period.
YEAR: Optional. Year account opened.
DOCS?: DOCS or NO DOCS. Did you submit identity documentation to IB?
VERIFIED: VERIFIED or UNVERIFIED. Has IB actually verified the docs you submitted yet (via email confirmation)?
POSTED?: POSTED or NOT POSTED. Points posted to account?
# PTS: How many points have posted to the account so far?
MISSING: How many points (that were expected) did not actually post?
DENIAL REASON: If you've been denied or are in limbo, what was the reason stated? INCONSISTENCIES, REFUNDS, WAITING, etc.
FURTHER STEPS: Have you done anything further to contact IB about the issue? What have you done? Complaints to DOT, EU, IB, etc. or NONE
Data Points:
mickeyjaw / SELF / OLD / 2016 / NO DOCS / NA / PARTIALLY POSTED / 45k PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
swingaling / WIFE / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / INCONSISTENCIES / DOT and IB
Surface Interval / Wife / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED /
POSTED on 07/17 / 90k PTS / 0k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Diannap / Self / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Diannap / Husband / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 9k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
Junior_2J&K / Self / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED /
POSTED on 07/17 / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / WAITING / IB - canned response
OC_Matt / Self / Old / 2015 / NO DOCS / N/A /POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE (updated 8/21)
OC_Matt / Wife / New / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE (updated 7/17)
OC_Matt / Friend / New / 2018 / NO DOCS / N/A / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE
OverTheHorizon / Self / 2013 / NO DOCS / N/A /
POSTED / 81k PTS / 9K MISSING / NONE / IB - canned response to detailed email, waiting and seeing !!
FlyingPenguin / SELF / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 0 PTS / 90k MISSING / WAITING / NONE
zsc / self / old (dormant) / 2017 / NO DOCS / N/A /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / NONE
DeJar/ self / New (old account inaccessible) / 208 / Docs / Verified / 0pts / 90k Missing / DECLINED 07/20/2018 (requesting reconsideration) / None - notice frim IB seems to confirm promo Avios will be posted
zebranz / Self / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / WAITING / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 81K-9K just showed up without asking- 18 July!
zebranz / #1son / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / WAITING / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 81K-9K just showed up without asking- 18 July!
zebranz / #2son / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 90K
zebranz / daughter-in-law / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / IB - Recvd 17 Jul 90K
Bobdh13 / SELF / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / VERIFIED /
POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / RECEIVED 18 JULY
Bobdh13 / BROTHER / NEW / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / POSTED / 90k PTS / 0 MISSING / DONE / RECEIVED 19 JULY
elmoufoken / SELF / New / 2018 / DOCS / UNVERIFIED / NOT POSTED / 90K PTS / Duplicate Account / IB+ call center operator confirmed I dont have duplicate account, Sent email to IB+ with doc and form, account still locked. 9 of 10 booking got cancelled by them without my instruction, deposit of 7 out of 8 have not been refunded. 1 booking still alive.
jbfield/ SELF/ OLD / many years ago / No Docs / NA / POSTED / 81k PTS / 9000 MISSING / IB Agreed they should be credited / Chased up multiple times. RECEIVED 20 Nov '19
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 8, 18, 6:45 pm

Programs: SA gold, HH diamond, IHG plat
Just spent hours on the phone, the short of it is, they are using the website error of repeating your surname twice (spanish-style), plus their own technical error of deleting membership numbers from bookings as the reasons for inconsistencies.
Old Jul 8, 18, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft View Post

Ps : what is the plan? Any strategy?
Not to get involved with this offer in first place. It has worked great.
Old Jul 8, 18, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by krugmaniac View Post
Just spent hours on the phone, the short of it is, they are using the website error of repeating your surname twice (spanish-style), plus their own technical error of deleting membership numbers from bookings as the reasons for inconsistencies.
Welcome to FT, @krugmaniac!

Interesting data point. I'd imagine the call centre staff are pretty much using whatever issues they can to throw up barriers and get people off the phone.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few weeks as the marketing (delighted, it went viral!), sales (numbers look great!), call centre (you gotta be kidding me...), social media (as per call centre) and other teams duke this out internally.
Old Jul 8, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL SM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott/SPG Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
Certainly they would have serious problems with consumer fraud claims but agree its probably preempted. On the other hand, if I was a California class action plaintiffs attorney (I'm not), I'd probably try a 17200 claim and argue that Ginsberg didn't address the argument that everything with a frequent flyer program and that a promotion award points before flying (and arguably with no requirement to fly) isn't covered by the ADA. Additionally, since many of these purchases were for internal Spanish flights marketed on a US website, I'm not sure whether the ADA applies at all. All in all, not a bad class case. Also, as an edit, Hickcox-Huffman v. US Airways is a pretty helpful case with such claims as the 9th Circuit held that the ADA doesn't preempt claims for breach of contract of a voluntary undertaking in connection with baggage fees.

As for me, if I get the inconsistencies email that everyone else is getting, I might go the simple breach of contract route in small claims court. Since Iberia doesn't fly from my state and I need to think through the state jurisdictional issues, it might be easier to file a small claims case in Illinois or California since they fly there. Of course, there is the value of time fighting this but while I understand your unclean hands argument, here it appears they are denying to anyone with a new account without any explanation.

Also, the cost of buying 90,000 is 1647 euro so if one had 200-300 US purchasers in the class, I'd be shocked if this didn't result in a 2-3 million settlement.
A 17200 claim is preempted (not sure what theory you have as to why it wouldn't be).
You wouldn't be able to have a 17200 claim for non California residents.
The cost of buying 90000 miles would not be the appropriate measure of damages here and likely would not be available in small claims court.
I would be shocked if there is a single dollar legal settlement.

If the ADA doesn't apply, California law likely wouldn't apply either under the doctrine of extraterritoriality. You haven't addressed the issue of whether the promo was a material part of the contract of purchasing the ticket, or a separate Iberia Plus promotion. I think that's dispositive to your breach of contract claim.
if you go to small claims court, it's likely that the arbitrator will say "you were refunded your ticket? You are back at square one? The end.'

I truly think in the court of public opinion, it's the person who brings a lawsuit here, not Iberia, that comes off looking bad.

Last edited by Adam1222; Jul 8, 18 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum (6 MM)
Originally Posted by krugmaniac View Post
Too much brain damage if there's even a hint that they're voiding award bookings.
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
A 17200 claim is preempted (not sure what theory you have as to why it wouldn't be).
You wouldn't be able to have a 17200 claim for non California residents.
The cost of buying 90000 miles would not be the appropriate measure of damages here and likely would not be available in small claims court.

I truly think in the court of public opinion, it's the person who brings a lawsuit here, not Iberia, that comes off looking bad.
I think there is an argument that the 17200 claim is not preempted because (a) the ADA doesn't apply to tickets advertised in the United States for travel outside the United States and (b) advertising for promotional miles is not a routes/service issue. I suspect it would get past a motion to dismiss.

You might be right about the California resident only under the 17200 but that with the breach of contract claim is a pretty substantial sum. And I've never seen plaintiff's class action attorneys worry about the court of public opinion.

But ... if the damages aren't the value of the lost promotional Avios, what would they be? I realize that it doesn't cost Iberia 1600 Euro but my cost to replace those 90000 Avios is 1600 Euro.
Old Jul 8, 18, 9:31 pm

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
The worst case scenario here seems to be that IB refunds your purchases, so I really don't understand all this talk of chargebacks (not to mention lawsuits). It's just looking to cause oneself more loss of time and aggravation.

Plenty of mistake fares get reported on this forum and are eventually cancelled by the company, without all this drama. And this is about Avios, who never really belong to you.
Old Jul 8, 18, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Yllanes View Post
I really don't understand all this talk of chargebacks
Chargebacks are still very much a reality for the group of people who never received the Avios nor received an email offering a refund (like myself.) This could change over the next few days as I'm sure Iberia is going through a massive backlog of emails/claims.

That being said, I have zero idea how successful a chargeback claim would be.
Old Jul 9, 18, 12:23 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I can't say I didn't expect this to happen to be honest... I hope none of you are out of pocket.
Old Jul 9, 18, 1:11 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum (6 MM)
Originally Posted by nader View Post
Chargebacks are still very much a reality for the group of people who never received the Avios nor received an email offering a refund (like myself.) This could change over the next few days as I'm sure Iberia is going through a massive backlog of emails/claims.

That being said, I have zero idea how successful a chargeback claim would be.
You would first have to dispute the charges and then claim a chargeback if you do not get a response. The airline is selling tickets under their contract of carriage. You entered into a contract to be transported from City A to City B at a particular date and time. You can insist that you only purchased those tickets to participate in a promotion and submit a mountain of emails, twitter screenshots, blog posts, etc. to support your claim. You may or may not prevail. But the credit card issuer could well look at ten chargebacks and flag you as a problematic customer and simply close your account. A chargeback is an action of last resort following a dispute resolution process - and it costs time and money for all involved. If a card issuer believe it's being abused, they will act.
Old Jul 9, 18, 1:40 am

Programs: QantasFF
Class action

Would anyone that's been rejected by Iberia for "inconsistencies" consider trying to form a class action lawsuit for breach of contract? I'm happy to try and compile a list of names (via survey monkey) and approach law firms to determine if there's any interest in taking it forward.
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:22 am

Hi All, Iberia has just cancelled all my bookings and sent me the receipt of refunds.

"DEAR CUSTOMER, RIRYOUR RESERVATION COULD NOT BE PROCESSED RIR
SO THERE WILL NOT BE ANY CHARGE IN THE CREDIT CARD USED. RIR
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. RIR"
I did not request for any refund or cancellation.

Anyone could suggest what I should be do?

Thanks

Recap: They sent me email as "duplicate" account, sent them all the document and form, talked to the operator, he sent email to back office to reinstate the deleted account. Was still awaiting for the response, then now just received the batch of email of refund.

Last edited by elmoufoken; Jul 9, 18 at 2:42 am
Old Jul 9, 18, 2:44 am

Just an update. Iberia finally replied to my twitter messages. Saying there is a delay and they are working on it. They said I should receive my Avios in the next few days. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 9, 18, 3:14 am
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by elmoufoken View Post
Hi All, Iberia has just cancelled all my bookings and sent me the receipt of refunds.

"DEAR CUSTOMER, RIRYOUR RESERVATION COULD NOT BE PROCESSED RIR
SO THERE WILL NOT BE ANY CHARGE IN THE CREDIT CARD USED. RIR
SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. RIR"
I did not request for any refund or cancellation.

Anyone could suggest what I should be do?

Thanks

Recap: They sent me email as "duplicate" account, sent them all the document and form, talked to the operator, he sent email to back office to reinstate the deleted account. Was still awaiting for the response, then now just received the batch of email of refund.
Same here.
Getting emails one by one of tickets canceled on a family member account with the same text:
DEAR CUSTOMER, RIR YOUR RESERVATION COULD NOT BE PROCESSED RIR SO THERE WILL NOT BE ANY CHARGE IN THE CREDIT CARD USED. RIR SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. RIR
Old Jul 9, 18, 3:17 am

Programs: A3*G, TK*G, UIA PremEY Silv, CX Silv, Hyatt Diam, , Skyteam Elite+,HH Diam, SPG Plat100, EK Silv
Originally Posted by pointsifu View Post
Just an update. Iberia finally replied to my twitter messages. Saying there is a delay and they are working on it. They said I should receive my Avios in the next few days. Fingers crossed.
They told me the same (took them one week to answer) and guess what, yesterday I received the "inconsistencies" email

Search this Thread