Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Need to show credit card used to book award at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL

I am booking an award for my sister (MAD-ORD on IB Metal), using my account, IB Avios. I will not be travelling. I am using my credit card to pay for taxes, but there is a message at booking that states that credit card must be verified during check in. Does this mean that they will actually want to see the physical card. Thanks. Will she be denied flight if she does not have it?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
YMMV.

Nobody ever asks for the payment card until you don't have it with you... then they do ask.

The message is clear and somebody at IB having a bad day would have all they legally need to be a pain and deny boarding. She might be OK with a scan or something that proves that she knows the person with the physical card in their possession.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I am booking an award for my sister (MAD-ORD on IB Metal), using my account, IB Avios. I will not be travelling. I am using my credit card to pay for taxes, but there is a message at booking that states that credit card must be verified during check in. Does this mean that they will actually want to see the physical card. Thanks. Will she be denied flight if she does not have it?
Originally Posted by craigthemif
YMMV.

Nobody ever asks for the payment card until you don't have it with you... then they do ask.

The message is clear and somebody at IB having a bad day would have all they legally need to be a pain and deny boarding. She might be OK with a scan or something that proves that she knows the person with the physical card in their possession.
I searched for the last year and these are the only replies to this credit card issue. I can understand if a ticket was booked relatively close in to the travel date but months out? Now wondering if I need to go ahead can cancel the flights I just booked. It would seem like this would be a fairly hot topic if Iberia frequently required seeing the card. Anyone heard other reports of this?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 5:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
I booked an award four days out for a flight last week, didn't get asked for the payment card (booked on my card, me flying).
Three years ago, I booked a revenue ticket using a supplementary card, and got asked for sight of the main card at checkin - so as Craig says, YMMV.

I'd suggest that if you're worried, go to an Iberia sales desk at an airport on your travels between now and flight time, and show them the actual card - they don't need to see it at checkin, they just need to have seen it before they will check you in.

95% you wouldn't have any issue anyway, but that would cover the 5%, if it's not too onerous.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Slickw
I searched for the last year and these are the only replies to this credit card issue. I can understand if a ticket was booked relatively close in to the travel date but months out? Now wondering if I need to go ahead can cancel the flights I just booked. It would seem like this would be a fairly hot topic if Iberia frequently required seeing the card. Anyone heard other reports of this?
Somebody did make a substantial rant 2-3 years ago on Flyertalk about booking a flight for a family member and having to drive to Malaga airport or something like that to show somebody the card.

As mentioned, if you can show the card to somebody from Iberia between now and the flight, you should be fine.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I have my canceled Sendo card lying around specifically for this reason. I plan on cutting it up as soon as I get back from the award booking I used it to pay for. Seems to happen more in Asia, in general.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:35 pm

Somebody did make a substantial rant 2-3 years ago on Flyertalk about booking a flight for a family member and having to drive to Malaga airport or something like that to show somebody the card.

As mentioned, if you can show the card to somebody from Iberia between now and the flight, you should be fine.
I was at JFK a three weeks ago but ran out of time to try and visit the office there. TBH not sure I would trust that method anyway. Cancelled both flights. Miles and money refunded for one, points still missing and $25 cancellation fee on the second. I rebooked one using my account/Avios but paid with the credit card of my friend who will travel on the ticket for the cash portion.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:29 am

Does the credit card have to be live at the time of flying or can you still cancel it and show the cancelled card?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lizie
Does the credit card have to be live at the time of flying or can you still cancel it and show the cancelled card?
It can be cancelled.

They just want to see that you have physical access to the card, and didn't get the details from an online hack.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:50 am

It can be cancelled.

They just want to see that you have physical access to the card, and didn't get the details from an online hack.
Thank you. I was a bit concerned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.