T4S to T4 how long?

Old Mar 21, 18, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

T4S to T4 how long?

Does anyone know how long it takes to go from T4S to T4? I am landing in Madrid from JFK in T4S at 630am. I have a separate ticket at 8am out of T4 Madrid to Dubrovnik, assuming boarding is at 715 or 730. It was cheaper to book the tickets separately. Will I have enough time to switch terminals? Does anyone know what the process is like - walking, bus etc? Is there additional security? Passport check? It looks like they're selling JFK-MAD-DBV as one flight so I'm thinking since it is a legitimate flight that they're selling, I'm okay?

I won't have checked in luggage, just a carry on. Also on a US passport. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Mar 21, 18, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You won't make that connection if there is the slightest delay in your incoming.

You will have to land with a short taxi to the gate, get off the plane quickly, go through passport control (reasonably quick, unless 1-2 flights arrive just before you, especially for non-Europeans), take the train to T4 (less frequent at certain times of day), pass through another security check, then run to your gate before it closes 20-30 minutes before departure.

On a single ticket, fine, you're protected. On separate tickets you'll need to have a Plan B.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Mar 21, 18, 4:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA
I budget 45 minutes, especially at that time of day. Note that if you miss your MAD-DBV flight for any reason, you're on your own (and the service to DBV is quite limited). You don't have much wiggle room in case of a delay, 20 minutes late can throw you off unfortunately.

Sequence is aircraft --> immigration --> transit train --> security --> 10min walk to immigration (low H gates) --> board, which starts 30 minutes before the flight and closes 15 minutes before departure.

You may have another option, though (this certainly works for LHR/LGW, not sure they do it for DBV - check the screens before going through to immigration after disembarking). Some flights departing from the small non-Schengen part of T4 have another gate in T4S (gates S) from which passengers are bussed straight to the aircraft, without having to enter and exit the Schengen area. In that case it would be aircraft --> security in T4S (to the left before immigration) --> down the escalator --> gate --> bussed to aircraft. Much faster.
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your quick responses. I'll have to figure something out. First through flying to Madrid and on Iberia. Any idea how I can find out if they offer that option you mentioned @BA6501 ? That sounds ideal. Maybe they do have this option since Iberia is selling this as one ticket?
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:17 pm

I seem to remember disembarking from SPU in August and having the reverse option offered (an IB agent standing half way down the jetbridge yelling Tránsito, you'd then get on a bus straight to S gates), so I'm guessing it's common for the Croatia flights, both ways.

When are you doing this trip? I'm not flying into or out of T4S anytime soon (and if I do it's often on the 21:55/22:15 LHR arrival, so no outbounds to DBV at that time) but maybe someone could have a look.
Old Mar 21, 18, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

It won't be until late September. Just planning the trip now and figuring out what's best.
Old Apr 2, 18, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; SPG Plat; MR Plat;Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks BA6501, this is helpful.
Old Jan 10, 19, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey View Post
It won't be until late September. Just planning the trip now and figuring out what's best.
How did the connection end up? I'm making a similar connection this coming August ORD-MAD-DBV albeit on a single ticket. I'd love to hear your experience.
Old Jan 11, 19, 3:00 pm

I'm curious how the connection ended up as well. We have a flight next week from ORD - MAD - LIS with a 55 minute layover scheduled in MAD. Unless the ORD-MAD flight is early I know it's going to be tight or impossible. I only booked knowing we were protected as it's all under one reservation. Thoughts on chances of us making this connection?
Old Jan 12, 19, 6:54 pm

Hundreds if not thousands of passengers make connections of this duration every week. They would have adjusted the MCTs if it was not doable. After all, this costs IB money, especially if an overnight is involved.

Tight - yes, impossible - no. But don't dawdle. There's also a chance your MAD-LIS flight will depart from T4S (M gates), saving about 10-15 minutes. Gates close 15 minutes before departure.