Combining accounts with my wife

Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Combining accounts with my wife

Hi Ive been spending like crazy on Amex gold cards for a while to build up points for my upcoming honeymoon. My hope was that my wife and i could combine the Amex points into one airline so that everything is as flexible as possible. The route we wanted was Madrid to Havana with Iberia. At the moment we have our Avios in two BA executive club accounts. Ive made one of them a household account thinking i could then transfer to Iberia with combine my avios. Unfortunately BA will only let me transfer my Avios and not my wife's. If i transfer from BA into two accounts at Avios.com they say that i could make a household account with them, but that i then wouldnt be allowed to transfer to iberia. Iberia say i can transfer my wife's avios into my iberia account but theyll charge about Ł160.

Any workarounds for this? My head is burst.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately it simply doesn't work that way. You cannot combine Avios from two people into one Iberia Plus account.

You either accumulate enough Avios in your wife's account to book at least one leg of her own ticket herself, or you pay to transfer the Avios from one account to the other. (sometimes there are promotions that make this cost effective, but those only come around once every year or so...)
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unfortunately it simply doesn't work that way. You cannot combine Avios from two people into one Iberia Plus account.

You either accumulate enough Avios in your wife's account to book at least one leg of her own ticket herself, or you pay to transfer the Avios from one account to the other. (sometimes there are promotions that make this cost effective, but those only come around once every year or so...)

Thanks for the reply. Collecting Avios is such a black art im kinda wishing i hadnt started!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AHMYERDA
Thanks for the reply. Collecting Avios is such a black art im kinda wishing i hadnt started!
Once you use Avios to fly in First or Business Class, you're hooked... Until then it looks like a waste of time.

Many people are happy to buy Avios (not directly, but via Groupon promotions in Spain - https://insideflyer.co.uk/2018/01/ib...on-offer-back/ ) because your all-in cost for Business Class still looks good, even if you buy the Avios. Of course, any Avios you collect via credit card sign-up bonuses and spend is just the icing on the cake...
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Ive used them to fly business class from kiev to london which was brilliant value. Trouble is i live in glasgow so the best value for business class is always through london or within mainland europe. Takes a fair bit of research! Cheers for the link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.