Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Will IB rebook on BA in the event of a schedule change?

Old Jan 29, 18, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight from JFK to MXP via MAD on IB and, over the course of several schedule changes my layover went from 1.5 hours to 4.5 hours although none of the changes were over 2 hours on their own. Now when I look at the flight options for that day I see my itinerary is no longer possible to book. Unfortunately the other IB options depart JFK earlier than would be workable for me. There is, however, a BA flight that would work and not involve a 4.5 hour layover. I called IB to see if this was an option and they said no but I am unsure whether this is actually not possible or if this is a HUCA situation. Should I call again? Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 18, 5:58 pm

The key factor in my experience is if the all the flights contemplated have IB flight numbers. I have had zero success otherwise, even as a Oneworld Emerald. JFK-LHR on BA metal should also be an IB code share, unfortunately the LHR-MXP probably won't be. AA has a JFK-MXP flight, codeshared as IB 4252. Have you thought about this one? I imagine with some luck you could switch to non-stop.
Old Feb 12, 18, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
You are definitely not going to convince IB to re-route you when you still have a completely valid itinerary.

With substantial flight time changes, you do have the ability to request a refund and make your own alternative arrangements.
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OldNewYorker View Post
The key factor in my experience is if the all the flights contemplated have IB flight numbers. I have had zero success otherwise, even as a Oneworld Emerald. JFK-LHR on BA metal should also be an IB code share, unfortunately the LHR-MXP probably won't be. AA has a JFK-MXP flight, codeshared as IB 4252. Have you thought about this one? I imagine with some luck you could switch to non-stop.
Unfortunately the AA flight doesn't work with my schedule but thanks for the heads up

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
You are definitely not going to convince IB to re-route you when you still have a completely valid itinerary.

With substantial flight time changes, you do have the ability to request a refund and make your own alternative arrangements.
I ended up calling in again and they were willing to reroute me on BA but for $500 extra a ticket. I looked up the flights and the fare difference is $2500 from what I paid so I'm not sure where they came up with that number.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: