Requirements to Qualify for Elite Status

Old Nov 17, 17, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Requirements to Qualify for Elite Status

Hi all,

I've visited the Iberia Plus website and searched on FT but I'm still confused with elite qualification requirements.
1) Is one required to fly at least ONE sector on an IB-operated or IB-coded flight per year?
2) Or is the above requirement only necessary to qualify via Elite Points?
3) Does that mean if one only flies oneworld partners, the only way to qualify is flying 50 flights?

Cheers,

marcelduchamp
Old Nov 17, 17, 9:11 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
There are indeed two ways to qualify but you are mixing concepts:

- 50 flights, but not on any OW airline. The only flights that count are either OW or VY flights with IB code, flights operated by IB/I2/YW, VY flights with VY code not on Basic fare or flights operated and marketed by BA.
- 2250 Elite Points with at least one flight with IB code operated by IB/I2/YW/VY/BA.

For example, if you fly JFK-LAX on AA it will give you Elite Points but it will not count as one of your 50 flights.

This is for Oro, Plata (Ruby) is just 25 flights or 1200 points.
Old Nov 17, 17, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
As near as I can tell, there are relatively few people based outside of Spain who think that Iberia Plus is the easiest way to earn Oneworld status. And many of the best benefits are for Madrid-based members flying Iberia often.

The last time I looked in any detail, it was far easier to reach elite status with BAEC.
Old Nov 17, 17, 10:37 am

Yes, the way distance bands are organised, it is a little easier to get BAEC Silver than IB+ Oro (and BAEC Gold much easier than IB+ Platino, especially if you are doing TP runs). However, you only need one IB flight to get IB+ status with Elite Points (as opposed to 4 BA flights to get BAEC status with Tier Points), which may help people who are not flying IB or BA at all.

In my case, most of my flights are on AA. I would get Sapphire with either AA, IB+ or BAEC. I value lounges more than upgrades and I fly much more on IB than on BA (including quite a few Spanish domestic flights every year and some VY flights), so sticking with IB+ makes sense for me even if I'm not based in Spain.
Old Nov 17, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Just an addition that a BA flight with a BA code also counts as a qualifying flight.
Old Nov 17, 17, 12:12 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Mrs m4l got the IB+ gold card without flying a single segment on IB or BA
Old Nov 18, 17, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Hi all,

thank you for your replies and helping me understand the programme. ^

Cheers,

marcelduchamp
Old Jan 7, 18, 6:25 am

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
The English language version of the T&Cs say: "Take 50 flights according to the following terms and conditions:
  • Flights with an IB code operated by the Iberia Group (Iberia, Iberia Express, Air Nostrum), Vueling, airlines in the oneworld alliance or any partner airline in the Iberia Plus programme.
  • Flights with a VY code operated by Vueling, except Basic fare flights.
  • Flights operated and sold by British Airways.
  • Of these 50 flights, at least one must be with an IB code (operated by Iberia or another partner in the Iberia Plus programme) and have a fare that qualifies for Elite Points."
My Spanish is not good, but I think it that in this case it says the same.
So that does not say whether there is a minimum number of flights on IB if one is qualifying through 2,250 Elite points.
Old Jul 31, 18, 3:58 pm

Since I received 90,000 Avios through the Iberia promotion, I started looking into the program a little more. It seems REALLY easy to get elite status. If I fly 3 roundtrip business class trips on American Airlines from LAX to ORD, that's enough to get elite (emerald) status? I am seriously thinking about leaving Star Alliance, since domestic business class trips on United don't really give much elite status miles using a third party *A program.
Old Jul 31, 18, 4:41 pm

Three roundtrip LAX-ORD in business (or First in a two-class airplane, sold as I class) would get you 6*225=1350 Elite points, which is enough for the lowest elite level (Ruby), provided you also had at least one IB, VY or BA flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: