New IberiaCards "Icon" replaces "Sendo"

Old Oct 23, 17, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IB+ GOLD (OWS), ACCOR HOTELS GOLD
New IberiaCards "Icon" replaces "Sendo"

You may already know, but I couldn't find any thread for discussing this change: IberiaCards Sendo (Oro & Clásica) will be replaced by the new Iberia Icon and Iberia Clásica cards beginning next year.

Downgrades:
  • Just one VISA card (no more AMEX)
  • Downgrade obteining Avios for purchases: 0.5 avios/€ spent for Icon and 0.2 avios/€ for Clásica Vs. the old 1 avio/€ for Sendo AMEX (or 1.20/1.25 avios/€ if you waited for the AMEX promos)
  • Increase of yearly fee: 90 €/year for Icon (Vs. 80 €/year of Sendo Oro). Same fee of 45 €/year for new Clásica Vs. old one.
  • No more access to Iberia Business Class counters in T4 Barajas when paying tickets with these cards

Upgrades:
  • Automatic 1-year status upgrade to IB+ Plata (OW Ruby) upon paying for the first time with the card. Status may be maintained if spending at least 9000€ yearly. Important: If you already hold an IB+ Oro/Emerald status expect no upgrade to the next status.
  • Automatic Avis Preferred Plus status, which comes with free car upgrade and free additional driver.
  • Access to VISA Hotels Luxury Collection, which comes with free breakfast and other small perks

Maintained Benefits:
  • 3 cents/l discount on Repsol petrol stations
  • 10% discount on IB tickets when paying with these cards
  • Access to ClubKviar private restaurant club with 30% discount on a selection of restaurants in Madrid
  • Same insurance policies
  • Financed IB tickets purchased at 0% interest when paying within the next 3 months for tickets above 150€

The card is already available for new customers. Current customers will have to wait until it is replaced (before the end of the year).

Personally, I loved these cards for the hidden promotions of 50% avios purchase discount and 50% redemption rate discount when purchasing with avios. If these promotions are gone, I think I will say bye to these cards and just focus on my AMEX Gold.

What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 23, 17, 3:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH D.
Originally Posted by Wygun View Post
You may already know, but I couldn't find any thread for discussing this change: IberiaCards Sendo (Oro & Clásica) will be replaced by the new Iberia Icon and Iberia Clásica cards beginning next year.

Downgrades:
  • Just one VISA card (no more AMEX)
  • Downgrade obteining Avios for purchases: 0.5 avios/€ spent for Icon and 0.2 avios/€ for Clásica Vs. the old 1 avio/€ for Sendo AMEX (or 1.20/1.25 avios/€ if you waited for the AMEX promos)
  • Increase of yearly fee: 90 €/year for Icon (Vs. 80 €/year of Sendo Oro). Same fee of 45 €/year for new Clásica Vs. old one.
  • No more access to Iberia Business Class counters in T4 Barajas when paying tickets with these cards

Upgrades:
  • Automatic 1-year status upgrade to IB+ Plata (OW Ruby) upon paying for the first time with the card. Status may be maintained if spending at least 9000€ yearly. Important: If you already hold an IB+ Oro/Emerald status expect no upgrade to the next status.
  • Automatic Avis Preferred Plus status, which comes with free car upgrade and free additional driver.
  • Access to VISA Hotels Luxury Collection, which comes with free breakfast and other small perks

Maintained Benefits:
  • 3 cents/l discount on Repsol petrol stations
  • 10% discount on IB tickets when paying with these cards
  • Access to ClubKviar private restaurant club with 30% discount on a selection of restaurants in Madrid
  • Same insurance policies
  • Financed IB tickets purchased at 0% interest when paying within the next 3 months for tickets above 150€

The card is already available for new customers. Current customers will have to wait until it is replaced (before the end of the year).

Personally, I loved these cards for the hidden promotions of 50% avios purchase discount and 50% redemption rate discount when purchasing with avios. If these promotions are gone, I think I will say bye to these cards and just focus on my AMEX Gold.

What are your thoughts?
Hi Wygun,

I have seen the advertisement of the Icon card in the IB+ web but I did not know it was to replace the Sendo Cards, actually I was considering to sign for one to see if it would also offer the 50% redemption rate on award tickets.

With the conditions you have mentioned, I agree that if the card does not have the 50% redemption award it has little value. The only thing that could probably justify the fee was the 10% on IB tickets but flying normally ex-Bcn most of my flights are on Vueling or on another airlines.
Old Oct 23, 17, 5:16 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Yeah, I haven't gotten any info that my current card will be downgraded.

Kind of sucks about the lower earning rate, but hopefully they can do promotions like they used to with the Sendo.

The plata status is nice for those that wouldn't earn it otherwise.
Old Oct 24, 17, 3:25 am

I have just entered in the iberia cards web and it is also advertising the ICON card so I guess that the OP was correct saying that they want to replace the old Sendo cards with this one.
Old Oct 24, 17, 3:27 am

Programs: IB+ Oro, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE, Alaska MVP Gold
For someone without status but who flies often with IB, the Plata status makes it worth it, I think.

In my case, if I lived in Spain I would get the card for the discount on IB tickets and hope for promotions.
Old Oct 24, 17, 5:25 am

Programs: AAadvantage EXP, UA MilagePlus
Iberia icon

I saw the card this weekend as we are in the process of saying goodbye to AA and deciding wether to go IB+ or BAEC... in order to maximize card expenditures and able to transfer to a milage program.

Having had the IB Sendo in the past never used the AMEX one just the visa as preferred to use our AMEX PLAT and wait for the AMEX transfer offers. Mostly use AMEX so have VISA only when can not pay with it. If I remember correct and just checked on the website SENDO only used to be 1 AVIO x 5 EUROS spent, and the ICON will offer 1 AVIO x 2 EUROS

So I see a better redemption rate and see some added value if the promotions on buying AVIOS, cheaper redemptions, etc continue which were the only benefits that the card had for me. Have always found a way to turn around and waive the fee in the past so will wait and see but will get it as usually had almost no problems on ticket redemption.

Having said that still looking at my second option that was a change to FLYING BLUE but I am not convinced yet... Can transfer AMEX and also good discounts with the AMEX card on AF,KLM, DL... This belongs I know to another thread so just my own thoughts.

JC
Old Oct 24, 17, 5:58 am

The other benefit that seems to be overlooked. It's finally going contactless. It's about time, honestly
Old Oct 25, 17, 4:48 am

Programs: Melia Planium, IB+, BAEC
I wonder what would be the strategy re current Iberia Sendo card holders. My AMEX/Visa Sendo cards are expiring in 2019. Are they going to cancel them? Will I be able to use them until expiry date? Any ideas welcome!
Old Oct 25, 17, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IB+ GOLD (OWS), ACCOR HOTELS GOLD
Originally Posted by dumba View Post
I wonder what would be the strategy re current Iberia Sendo card holders. My AMEX/Visa Sendo cards are expiring in 2019. Are they going to cancel them? Will I be able to use them until expiry date? Any ideas welcome!
By what I have heard, IberiaCards and AMEX are not willing to renew the contract they had, which expires by the end of this year. Thus, they should start replacing the current Sendo cards ASAP. Let's see what finally happens...
Old Oct 31, 17, 7:23 am

Iberia Icon application

Originally Posted by Wygun View Post
By what I have heard, IberiaCards and AMEX are not willing to renew the contract they had, which expires by the end of this year. Thus, they should start replacing the current Sendo cards ASAP. Let's see what finally happens...
Thanks for your comment, Wygun. I applied for Iberia Icon. No response yet. With regards to shutting down Iberia Sendo, I guess they still have 2 months...
Old Nov 4, 17, 7:45 am

I just spoke to Iberia Sendo CS and apparently, existing Iberia Sendo customers will be getting their new Iberia Icon cards in the next couple of months, until February 2018. Their existing Iberia Sendo cards will be cancelled by that date.
What's interesting is that current Iberia Sendo customers can opt in to get Iberia Icon card early, by cancelling one of the two Iberia Sendo cards of their choice.
Old Nov 5, 17, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by dumba View Post
I just spoke to Iberia Sendo CS and apparently, existing Iberia Sendo customers will be getting their new Iberia Icon cards in the next couple of months, until February 2018. Their existing Iberia Sendo cards will be cancelled by that date.
What's interesting is that current Iberia Sendo customers can opt in to get Iberia Icon card early, by cancelling one of the two Iberia Sendo cards of their choice.
Thanks for the info dumba ,

Do you know if in the case that Sendo contacts you to replace the old card, you still get the 15k bonus avios(doing the corresponding expenditure) that come with the Icon, and save the 1st year fee?

Thanks,
Old Nov 5, 17, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by more4less View Post
Thanks for the info dumba ,

Do you know if in the case that Sendo contacts you to replace the old card, you still get the 15k bonus avios(doing the corresponding expenditure) that come with the Icon, and save the 1st year fee?

Thanks,
The conditions are that no bonus is available to any previous Iberiacards customer.
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:26 am

At least existing customers should get the free 1 year Plata/Ruby/Bronze status right?
Old Nov 12, 17, 11:03 am

Programs: IB+ Oro
Anyone knows if this card is only available for residents of Spain?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: