Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detour from flight home

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Detour from flight home

I have a flight booked from Santiago to London via Madrid on Iberia.
The second connecting flight leaves from Madrid to London shortly after I arrive in Madrid at around 8am. However I am considering making a slight detour and making my own arrangements flying from Madrid to Munich and then Munich to London (visiting friend in Munich).
Do I just not to turn up to the flight from Madrid to London and go straight to my flight to Munich?
I have one check in piece of luggage so Im guessing I need to let Iberia know at Santiago when I check in to not send my baggage to London?
Will I get charged for anything?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It is highly doubtful that agent will shortcheck your luggage at MAD without one hell of a good story and some magic dust. The safest way to do this is have the ticket changed to drop the MAD-LON segment which will refare the ticket costing you some formula determined rate depending on fare difference and fees determined by the booking rules of your ticket. Another option is to purchase a flight from LON-MUC which would get your there ideally early to mid afternoon.

But who knows if you'll be at MAD airport and randomly feel too ill to fly, ask to collect your bags and say you'll make your own arrangements when you feel better. If you do this any remaining segments on the flight will be canceled.

One other option is purchasing a new ticket. SCQ-MUC-LON can be had for under $300 USD on random dates I checked.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:05 am

The OP doesn't say if he/she is flying from SCQ or SCL, so SCQ-MUC-LON maybe is not an option.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Oh yes should have mentioned I'm flying from Santiago de Chile.
Can I not just simply say that I'm not going to turn up to the Madrid to London leg and so request my baggage to be offloaded in Madrid?
If not, I suppose I could try and take my 40L backpack as hand luggage? I've seen others take on similar bag sizes...
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE), VA Platinum
If you fail to get on the MAD - LHR flight, Iberia will likely cancel all other flights booked on the same ticket.
So if you have a return flight as well, the best option would be to change the flights (and pay a fee if applicable, would be much cheaper than paying for new flights when you turn up to the airport wanting to go home)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drgoz
If you fail to get on the MAD - LHR flight, Iberia will likely cancel all other flights booked on the same ticket.
So if you have a return flight as well, the best option would be to change the flights (and pay a fee if applicable, would be much cheaper than paying for new flights when you turn up to the airport wanting to go home)
No Madrid to London is my last flight. London is home. I've been on a long trip to south America. In may I flew London to madrid (1day layover in madrid) then Madrid to Lima. In about 10 days time I'll be flying from Santiago to Madrid (with a short transfer time) to London.

If I don't turn up to my Madrid to London flight then nothing will happen right? I just need to figure out if I can check in my backpack as hand luggage
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did some random date checks and didn't see a flight that matched OP's arrival time but there was one from SCQ so I took a gamble but came up wrong.
opps.

Originally Posted by netxu
The OP doesn't say if he/she is flying from SCQ or SCL, so SCQ-MUC-LON maybe is not an option.
OP either has to refare the ticket, find a way to not check luggage or buy a ticket to Munich from London.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:47 am

I would first call Iberia and see how much it would cost to change SCL-MAD-LHR to SCL-MAD-MUC.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
you can try the line , I have to give some presents to my cousin in Madrid . can u check my bag to there only?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.