Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Economy Class to Business Class Upgrading

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia

I have a question regarding upgrade from Economy to Business (LAX-MAD and back). I've flown this route before (and BA routes) with Economy ticket and after ticketing was given the opportunity to bid for upgrade. At the time I didn't take advantage, so I'm not sure how it works (have some idea from searching here and iberia website), but would like to this time if possible. So, a few questions

1. Is this upgrade only available for certain economy fare types?
2. Can you use Avios to pay for all or part of the upgrade if your bid wins?
3. If i convert AmEx points into Iberia Avios, how long does it take to see the added Avios in your Iberia account?

Not sure if it the following is relevant, so adding if it is:
- travel will be in September (~ 6th or 7th through 24th)
- have Iberia Plata status

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can only upgrade with Avios from Y, B, H. Very expensive Economy fares... (and you must find award space which is also difficult on the LAX flights)

Bid for upgrade is cash only.

Not sure about US Amex but I understand it's usually pretty quick, although not instantaneous.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:23 am

As iberia plus member, they sometimes offer you upgrades via email, which you can choose to pay with money or with avios.
In december they sent me emails for MAD-NRT and NRT-MAD, two weeks before each flight. The cost was 42.000 avios or 500€ per flight. Iberia.com was also showing the bidding option, starting from 400€ (IIRC). I didn't upgrade, so I can't help you more.
Old May 10, 2017, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Iberia
Thanks both of you. This is helpful.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by netxu
As iberia plus member, they sometimes offer you upgrades via email, which you can choose to pay with money or with avios.
In december they sent me emails for MAD-NRT and NRT-MAD, two weeks before each flight. The cost was 42.000 avios or 500€ per flight. Iberia.com was also showing the bidding option, starting from 400€ (IIRC). I didn't upgrade, so I can't help you more.
Netxu -- can you tell us your fare class in this case? Thanks!
Old May 10, 2017, 10:09 am

Sure!
MAD-NRT was Q and NRT-MAD was S. I had a BRU-NRT-FRA open jaw ticket.

They sent me this email:

Una buena noticia caída del cielo
¿No ha soñado nunca con realizar un viaje en nuestra clase Business Plus?. Ahora como cliente Iberia Plus ponemos a su alcance todo el confort y la exclusividad de Business Plus, en su vuelo a TOKYO del día 04 de Diciembre. Si desea viajar en ella, hágalo por solo 500 € o 42000 Avios.

¿Cómo hacer el cambio de clase?
La mecánica es muy sencilla: responda este correo electrónico SIN BORRAR EL CUERPO DEL MENSAJE, indicando su nombre, número de tarjeta Iberia Plus y número de teléfono con prefijos hasta las 21:30 del día 25/11/2016, hora de España (Península).

¿Cómo me informo si viajo en Business Plus?
Iberia se pondrá en contacto con usted para informarle de la disponibilidad y en caso de ser factible, formalizar la reserva a partir de este miércoles día 23/11/2016, hasta el Viernes 25/11/2016 a las 21:30, hora de España (Península).

CONDICIONES: esta campaña está dirigida exclusivamente al destinatario de este correo, en el vuelo, fecha y precios indicados en la comunicación. Sujeto a la disponibilidad de la campaña. El pago podrá realizarse solamente en euros o dólares norteamericanos. Los billetes afectados por esta campaña serán sólo aquellos emitidos en una fecha anterior a la de recepción de este correo por parte del cliente. El nuevo billete emitido en Business Plus a través de esta promoción mantiene las características de la primera emisión en referencia a penalizaciones, validez, acumulación de Avios y derechos a servicios añadidos. Promoción válida solo para mayores de 12 años.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:17 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Netxu -- can you tell us your fare class in this case? Thanks!
Sure!
MAD-NRT was Q and NRT-MAD was S. I had a BRU-NRT-FRA open jaw ticket.
I almost always get this email, although strangely I have not had one for this Friday's flight BOG MAD (perhaps because the route now has a premium economy product). I have had the offer email for A, O an Q fares. A is the really cheap one so I don't think they discriminate based on fare paid.

Here is that email in English

Dear client

We have some good news for you
At Iberia we want you to enjoy the comfort and exclusivity of our Business Plus class on your flight to MADRID on the 15 de Julio. If you want to travel in style now you can for just 500 €.

How to upgrade
It's simple: just reply to this e-mail WITHOUT ERASING THE MESSAGE BODY, indicating your name, booking reference number 6FUP23 and a telephone number (including area code) on which we can contact you until 9:30 PM 07/10/2015, Spanish local time (Peninsula).

How can I find out if I'm travelling in Business Plus?
Iberia will contact you with information regarding availability, and if it is possible to upgrade you, the booking will be confirmed from next Wednesday 07/08/2015, until next Friday 07/10/2015 at 9:30 PM Spanish local time (Peninsula).

If you are not yet an Iberia Plus client and want to accumulate Avios on this flight and enjoy the advantages of the Programme, please register here.

Yours sincerely,
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Since there seems to be some confusion about Iberia’s paid upgrades policies – and perhaps even some inconsistencies on the airline’s part – I thought I would pitch in with my recent experience.

Bought r/t MAD – ORD – MAD in turista, fare class S. Did not receive an email inviting me to bid or pay a flat fee for an upgrade.

At MAD, went to the customer service counter and asked if upgrades were for sale. Agent looked at my ticket, checked her system, and said “yes,” but she couldn’t tell me the price. She said check in to tourist first, then go to the business class counter to ask about upgrading. I skipped the tourist line and went directly to biz class counter and was quoted 325 euros to Business Class, 145 euros to premium economy. As we waited for my payment to go through I chatted with the agent, and learned (or at least had her take on) the following:

The IB marketing department decides who gets the e-mail offer to upgrade. She was not sure if this was random or directed at certain passengers or a certain profile. For those of you who have not received them, these emails normally ask 450 – 500 euros to upgrade on a long-haul flight.

The price at the airport is based on capacity, she said. I paid 325 euros, but on the return the price was 450 euros

The flight itself was a bit of a disappointment compared to other IB Biz Class flights I have taken. No one offered to hang up my blazer before takeoff or even when it sat on my lap for the first hour of the flight. Did get pre-flight drink but only one pass with the drinks cart for wine with lunch. Had to ask for a second glass of wine from the galley. Of course, crew disappears for most of the flight, but that is standard on IB and on many other airlines. If you need something, you have to track them down.

Altogether, not bad value, I think. Original ticket was +/- 800 euros r/t, so 400 + 345 = 745 o/w in business.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Also as BAEC member I was offered an upgrade by email but anyway I suspect that it is not FF related. It is offered according to parameters that we don't know (but can guess)

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 20, 2018 at 1:55 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:00 am

Interestingly enough, I was just offered an upgrade from Y to PE (on MAD-MEX) during OLCI. For 280 USD for the two of us it was a no-brainer.

Last edited by Innocent Abroad; Jun 20, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Interestingly enough, I was just offered an upgrade from Y to PE (on MAD-MEX) during OLCI. For 280 USD for the two of us it was a non-brainer.
Good offer, in MEX they were offering a few months ago Y to PE for 250 USD per pax
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: Iberia Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Paid upgrades

I’ve paid for those upgrades a couple of times. The best way is to book in PE (sometimes is even cheaper or just around 100 euros more) and then you can bid for around 180 euros (MAD-LIM) to J. You get all the benefits except tier points and avios (you get you paid for). The same is you receive the email or a call, they would offer something around that amount. From Y, usually around 350-400.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:57 am

And then I was offered a 140 USD for upgrade from Y to J on TLV-MAD. Also a very good price and a nice service on the A332 that is deployed now constantly on the TLV route.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Iberia Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
And then I was offered a 140 USD for upgrade from Y to J on TLV-MAD. Also a very good price and a nice service on the A332 that is deployed now constantly on the TLV route.
good offer for 5 hours flight!
Innocent Abroad likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1k
Hi everyone, what if I booked the ticket with miles as an economy award -- is the cash upgrade option still available since it doesn't care about the fare class? Or does it have to be a revenue ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.